Re: Expo 2015 Update Today.

From the Star:

World's Fair bid close to collapse
Province refuses to offer 'blank cheque' for deficits

'Intense' political discussions as deadline nears
Oct. 24, 2006. 05:51 AM
JIM BYERS AND KERRY GILLESPIE
STAFF REPORTERS

Toronto's bid for the 2015 world's fair was hanging by a thread last night after a provincial official said Queen's Park can't afford to be the financial backstop.

"The province will not be the guarantor of an uncapped deficit," a spokesman for Tourism Minister Jim Bradley said late yesterday. "We're supportive of the bid and initiatives to attract tourists to Ontario and Toronto, but at a time when we're focusing on investment in hospitals and schools, we cannot afford to write a blank cheque.

"The federal government, on the other hand, has a large surplus available," spokesman David Oved said. "The province is prepared to continue to be a partner with the city, the federal government and private sector on the bid."

The city is ready to talk about limiting any deficit, but if the province opts out, the deal is dead, said the city's chief cheerleader for the 2015 World Expo, Councillor Brian Ashton.

"If they're talking about a cap (on the amount of deficit they could pick up), the city I think is quite prepared to negotiate something as part of a sound business plan," said Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest). "But if they can't play any kind of role (in helping with a deficit) ... it simply kills the bid."

Ashton, however, said "intense discussions" were underway between the city and Queen's Park last night.

"We're trying to find a cost-sharing partnership on the financial guarantee," he said, adding he didn't know what form a partnership might take.

The Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions, which grants the world's fair to cities across the globe, requires bid countries to pick up any deficits that might occur. The city's bid is due at the bureau's offices on Nov. 3, but Ashton said the agency would likely be happy with a letter stating the issue will be taken care of and that details will be worked out later.

"All the BIE cares about is that there's a guarantor," he said.

The Conservative government in Ottawa yesterday said it likes Toronto's bid. But the Tories say federal law doesn't allow Ottawa to pick up a potential deficit.

The city has repeatedly said it doesn't have the financial wherewithal to pick up a deficit, which studies have suggested could reach $700 million.

It's possible the province is trying to squeeze Ottawa for a stronger, upfront cash commitment for such things as security, soil cleanup or transportation, or is hoping the city will open its wallet and provide more than just the needed land.

But "the clock is ticking," Ashton said.

A provincial source told the Toronto Star the city shouldn't be surprised that Queen's Park is wary of acting as the bid's financial safety net. But Mayor David Miller yesterday said his understanding was the province was ready to pick up a deficit.

Speaking with reporters about the Expo bid after addressing the Star's editorial board, Miller was asked, "Any financial deficit is supposed to be borne by the province, correct?"

"That's right, yes," the mayor replied.

"That's still the case?"

"Yes, that's my understanding. Those are the federal rules for these kinds of bids."

Ashton said he was under the same assumption as Miller on the province's willingness to pick up a deficit. He said the city isn't asking for millions of dollars in cash on an upfront basis.

"If there was a deficit of, say, $500 million, it would play out over 10 or 12 years and there would be revenues from taxes" that would more than outweigh the spending, he said.

Federal Treasury Board President John Baird said yesterday he likes the idea of a World Expo in Toronto. "I've had good discussions with the mayor (Miller) about it," he told the Star's Les Whittington in Ottawa. "It's important."

Speaking before Oved made his comments to the Star, Baird said Ottawa was waiting for Premier Dalton McGuinty's government to provide a guarantee that it will cover unexpected costs, as is required since 1995 by federal law.

Baird said Ottawa is aware of the impending deadline for Toronto's bid and will make a decision as quickly as possible after it hears from McGuinty on the cost guarantee.

The city's plan calls for Ottawa, Queen's Park and Toronto to share $2.8 billion in upfront costs to clean up contaminated soil, build pavilions and make other improvements in the city's derelict port lands.

Ashton said studies have shown Expo could generate $5.3 billion in taxes, mostly for the federal and provincial governments.

The federal government doesn't have to pick up any deficit but would be expected to pay for security costs and for a pavilion at the fair, he said. Most of the city's contribution would come in the form of land.

Expo backers last week unveiled a new theme for the fair: Sharing Our Planet.

Izmir, Turkey also has talked about bidding for the 2015 fair. There's been talk of bids from Milan and Moscow, but nothing formal has been announced.

Toronto lost bids for world's fairs in both 1998 and 2000.

AoD

I guess the bid is about dead. Hanging on life support.

Honestly, I've been thinking that the bid was going to be thrown out for the past 3 months with all the hints that were given.

Expos are money losers and so out of date.

Let poor Turkey have it. They're even more desperate than we are.

Re: Expo 2015

I think toforumer has a point. The era of big spectacular "expos" is probably drawing to a close. There is much that can be done in this city, both "spectacular" and mundane, with a similar amount of money. An amazing waterfront could be created that would complement new residential development and would quite possibly attract as many visitors over time as an expo would.

An amazing waterfront could be created that would complement new residential development and would quite possibly attract as many visitors over time as an expo would.
All true, but that doesn't tend to be the way our senior governments spend money in these parts. Sad, but true, we sort of "need" these events to get those governments interested in Toronto's waterfront and I don't see that changing.

Re: Expo 2015

The waterfront can still be developed wihtout an Expo. If Toronto wants to host an international event they should focus on a future Olympic bid for either 2016 or 2020. Not saying its going to happen but atleast Olympics bring tremendous amount of exposure to host cities. But on the negative side it probably would also bring a deficit but I'd feel much more comfortably having a deficit hosting an Olympics rather an Expo since the city would be front centre on the world stage, not to mention all the infrastructure improvements and sports facilities that this city desperately needs.

Olympics > Expos

Maybe Toronto will get an "Expo Torch" facility featuring displays from past Expos around the globe. Being a loser facility for a losing city, it will close within a year and be converted into a McDonalds.

Maybe Toronto will get an "Expo Torch" facility featuring displays from past Expos around the globe. Being a loser facility for a losing city, it will close within a year and be converted into a McDonalds.

or a Walmart :b

I think World Fair's will make a revival over the next few years, especially with the grandioso plans Shanghai has been making with the 2010 fair. It's unfortunate that the Libs seem to be letting this chance fall through the cracks because Miller seems to be against a 2016 Olympic Bid, which will likely be the last chance for a while for a summer North American games for the next while. Considering the Olympics would likely also have a higher price tag overall probably won't help, tho the public support would be a lot higher compared to the fair. If the city is serious about a TO olympic bid than they better get moving- March 31st, 2007 is the deadline for bids.

EDIT: Should the fact that the Toronto Expo Website is not accessible anymore a sign of its death?

^ I really doubt they'll give us another Olympics 6 years after Vancouver. If we're up against cities like Buenos Aires, Istanbul, Cape Town, New York, etc., we have almost no chance. Our 2008 loss might have handed the 2010 Games to Vancouver on a silver platter...what would a 2016 loss do for some other city in Canada?

edit - and if grandiose plans are all that is required to impress people and get them excited these days, every day is a World's Fair in Dubai.

I am not too unhappy that the expo bid is dead. If in the process of putting on a "show" the governments run up a big deficit doing it -- it just is not worth it. If you take just a little money that would have been spent on things like Expo and the Olympics and provide some funding for community festivals (like Caribana, Jazz Festival, etc.) - and market Toronto.

I understand and essentially agree with cacruden's point, but I think that usually comparisons of where money will get spent miss the point. Perhaps we should spend the money on health care, for instance. Or support the existing infrastructure.

The trouble with that is that the failure of Expo in no way implies that other priorities will receive funding. Also, funds for ongoing support of the arts and funds for special events tend to come from two separate pots of cash that have nothing to do with each other.

I will be disappointed if no Expo bid occurs. Not so much for the event itself, but for the instrastructure it can leave. I've certainly been impressed by some of the fair remains that I've seen around the world (though, not so much in Vancouver). I'm less impressed with infrastructure left over from Olympics - doesn't seem to me that we need a larger stadium than the SkyDome, though perhaps in 30 or so years we would.

The Expo bid is going to happen. The Toronto Star spin on things is just public pressure to get the thing moving along.

The two senior levels of government will look completely stupid if they didn't get their act together and formally submit this bid. So much time and energy has been spent on the bid and if funding was such a problem, the senior politicans would have shot down the proposal a long time ago.

In the end the province will be the one carrying any deficit, just like it had agreed when Toronto was bidding for the 2008 Olympics back in 2001.

As pointed out by many, hosting an Expo would leave huge lasting legacies for this city, including a beautiful and serviced Portlands by a firm DEADLINE of 2015. The firm timetable is important, it will force all partners to start building before the expected millions of visitors arrive in our city.

I believe with the success of Expo 2005 in Japan and 2010 in Shanghai, China, Expo is again enjoying greater international awareness and relavance. Toronto would be at the centre of that attention in 2015.

I'm surprised the Expo Bid hasn't become and election issue at the moment.

Louroz

I'm surprised the Expo Bid hasn't become and election issue at the moment.

Perhaps because people have more serious issues that they want addressed instead of a money losing Expo.

Even from a city building point of view I don't see Expo bringing that much benefit. If the end goal is development of the waterfront than it would make much more sense to say promote a new business district in the area (along the lines of Canary Wharf or Amsterdam Zuid) and repromote Toronto as as a city for business. And of course build new transit connections into the area and build upon the existing projects that are taking place. Yes an Expo will mean the area will be serviced, but once Expo goes you still have to attract business's and people to the area which inthe long term will probably take more time if Expo takes up the land for 10 or 11 years as oppossed to allowing the mommentum that is growing in that area to continue.

I think the idea of Expo, or an Olympics, being a great gift to the city is really overrated. Sure it can bring a few nice things to a city but in terms of actually being beneficial to the day to day life of citizens, neighborhoods, and the urban landscape, it is hardly a great use of resources.

Toronto has done a lot of good things in the city in the past decade, but Expo as a catalyst for new development and urban infrastructure is really not the kind of forward thinking that I would expect from a Canadian city.

If the Feds and Province are going to provide the bulk of funding for it, which would include fixing the waterfront, then I'm all for it. I'm convinced it's money Toronto would never see otherwise.

Back