News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Perhaps because people have more serious issues that they want addressed instead of a money losing Expo.

It has been said that this election campaign is lacking in Vision for the City of Toronto.

Taking leadership on the Expo Bid is real vision for this city.

As an active participant in the early Expo Consultation process, I can assure you that there is potential for real and far reaching benefits for the entire city and not just for the Portlands itself.

Proposals such as building one showcase housing project in each of the city's 44 wards that will be used as hotels for international visitors during Expo, enabling visitors to experience our diverse neighbourhoods and shopping districts, providing economic benefits to each part of the city. Those projects will later be turned into affordable housing projects, leaving a huge lasting legacy across the city.

While there would be a huge party down in the Portlands for six months in 2015, exposing millions of citizens and visitors to the potential of the site, and for once giving people in this city a reason to celebrate itself and have some civic pride.

With Expo, Ottawa and Queen's Park will be forced to hand over billions to badly needed projects that will transform this city. A link to the Airport, a revitalized Union Station, the Gardiner replaced, a new transit line on Queen's Quay East, a GO station south of the Distillery District, new ferry links to the Portlands, completed parks, new affordable housing projects, and for once a completed and vibrant waterfront we can see and be proud of.

Without Expo the billions that COULD be flowing into this city from Provincial and Federal governments will NOT magically be given to other projects.

Unlike the Olympics which promises that it will break even for a host city, an Expo is upfront to the taxpayer that it will LOSE money, however the GAINS for the city and the economy will be enormous.

Louroz

I agree with FM on this one.

It's unfortunate in this era of huge budget surpluses that it's so difficult to get anything done.

No one better mess with FM and his Expo! He knows his shit! :eek

Who thinks people are truly overrating Expo? Some make it sound to be such an enormous event that the world will remember Toronto's name. I personally don't believe an Expo is really prestigeous in that manner. It's kind of funny I really didn't know what an Expo was until I heard about Toronto's intentions to bid a couple years back and I barely can think of any host cities besides Vancouver and Montreal since they've been mentioned many times and the obvious big world cities like Paris and New York City.

But if somehow Toronto does end up bidding for this Expo, yes people miracles do happen!! :b Then I guess I would go along with it.

I hope the bid is successful, too. I understand the concerns, but these can be mitigated.

Am I dating myself by saying that I remember Expo 67? Actually, I went in 1968, and I was really young, which might explain why it looked so huge.

Am I dating myself by saying that I remember Expo 67? Actually, I went in 1968, and I was really young, which might explain why it looked so huge.

I think the problem is that the younger generation really doesn't care about Expos. I'm not really interested at all by Expos. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to go to the 2008 expo in Zaragoza, Spain or to the 2010 Shanghai Expo. These events are losers. The majority of visitors to this would be Canadians. I wonder if the projected amount of American vistors from Toronto's bid will be correct. I doubt they will have that high amount of visitors for this Expo.

I was 14 when Expo 67 happened, and we heard all about it in England. One of my schoolfriends went - with the boy scouts I think. Expo was on TV and in glossy magazines with pictures of all the buildings. A big deal, like the latest Beatles album, or the Queen launching a big ocean liner, or Swinging London, or something. But the world has moved on and changed so much since then and, for the life of me, I can't see why anyone would want to go to such a thing any more.

Seeing the next big expo is in shanghai, china I would love to go there for the expo in 2010. I'd imagine there would be fireworks displays which would be amazing, as it is on new years there.

I'm 22, and I think the idea of an expo here would be awesome, I talked to many of my friends and they seem it would be a good idea to have. Sure it may seem like an "old" event but one thing is that it needs a bit of change, and we could do that. The problem is, what and if Toronto will change the outlook on expo's. We could make a difference with this event, its up to the big shots tho... :/

I agree that the Expo is somewhat outdated and past it's prime as a premier event...however, for me the main thing is securing investment in the city. That's really the only reason I'm for it.

The trouble with cheerleading World's Fairs these days is that it reminds me of cheerleaders for "international superstar acts" of the 70s like Abba and Boney M. Total wusses...

Look what I found in the Star this morning in the letters:

Ottawa, province must support bid
Oct. 27, 2006. 01:00 AM

Last-chance meeting on Expo bid

Oct. 25.

I am shocked by the lack of support from Queen's Park and Ottawa for Toronto's 2015 Expo bid. Why did we bother to embark on this process if they weren't willing to support the bid in the first place? Instead, Toronto is heading for embarrassment on the international stage.

Months of consultation and millions of dollars spent on studies are about to go to waste because the two senior levels of government, which would gain the most out of Expo with billions in new revenue, do not want to pick up the cost of generating that future revenue for themselves.

As an active participant in the early Expo consultation process, I am convinced there is potential for real and far-reaching benefits for the entire city, not just for the portlands.

Unlike the 2008 Olympic bid which falsely promised that it would break even, this Expo bid is at least being upfront to the taxpayer that it will actually lose money. However, the gains in new infrastructure for the city, benefits to the economy and overall boost in civic pride would be enormous.

It's time for Queen's Park and Ottawa to support and formally submit Toronto's bid for Expo 2015.

--------------------
Louroz Mercader, Mississauga

The trouble with cheerleading World's Fairs these days is that it reminds me of cheerleaders for "international superstar acts" of the 70s like Abba and Boney M. Total wusses...

Now, now...let's leave Boney M out of this!

expo

Why did we bother to embark on this process if they weren't willing to support the bid in the first place?

Yeah FutureMayor, why did you bother? Was provincial and federal support promised at some stage, then withdrawn?

"I'm 22, and I think the idea of an expo here would be awesome, I talked to many of my friends and they seem it would be a good idea to have."

If it excites the yout' then it's worth having- Not that I'm that old or anything. I'm all for these Global conferences.

Re: expo

Yeah FutureMayor, why did you bother? Was provincial and federal support promised at some stage, then withdrawn?

That's what I was thinking. The provincial & fed. gov't didn't promise any financial overruns.

Back