News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Re: Expo 2015 Public Consultation - Round 2

I care too.

Like with the 2008 Olympic Bid, this is something we all can get excited about.

I still recall standing in front of Union Station with 12,000 other people waiting for Toronto's name to be called out. For a brief moment the eyes of the world was focused on us and while we lost to Beijing the commentary afterwards coming from the world's media was fantastic. They raved about our diverse, vibrant and beautiful city.

Louroz

Time stood still. In cities all across the world people waited in large public squares to hear a single word spoken. A different single word was anticipated in each city. But, when the word that many of them wanted to hear wasn't called out, they turned away in dismay, filed out of the public places, and went home.

Such is how we get our sense of self worth as a city in the twenty first century. A distant voice, from someone we don't know, calls out a name that isn't ours. Like in a dream.

Beautifully said, Babel.

FutureMayor thanks for summing up what I missed. I coudln't attend due to a medical emergency :( I think they should have an online site where they collect ideas, give surveys, and such and discuss back and forth thru updates. I know they have a comments forum now but it isn't enough.

Also, the word isn't spread, many didn't even know we were thinkng about bidding (I asked a lot of my friends) and some didn't even know what a World Expo was (I'm 22 btw).

Your ideas about hostel/hotel, then into housing is a great idea! Same with the beacon/baton, but I think thats up to the BIE not us, but nonetheless if it can be done, it shud!

Political Support, well if Harper wants to try and win some votes it would be a good idea for him to grant us the bid approval. If not, then the expo won't happen at all.

City Council is to vote on this issue May 23rd, so I've heard ;)

cdl42:

I'll be signing 8 x 10 glossies in the lobby later.

I thought you signed them in the back of the car on the way to the studio?

My girl usually does those. Have your girl call her and she'll explain.

Like with the 2008 Olympic Bid, this is something we all can get excited about.
The current Expo 2015 bid does'nt even come to close to the excitement level generated by the 2008 Olympic bid. If you asked most people during the 2008 Olymic bid they would give you an opinion. If you ask people about the Expo bid, they would say "What bid?"
Expo's are not even in the same league as the Olympic Games or FIFA World Cup.

FM:

If you didn’t take the time to attend one of the first series of consultations or simply submitted your ideas online, you have nothing to complain about.

I looked at the online form; they don't have a box for "Tell us why you'd rather not throw a $3,800,000,000 party.

Even if you were opposed to spending billions of your tax dollars to host the fair, there was no such public outcry heard at the meeting.

Am I really obligated to go to public meetings to protest every time somebody tries to get their hands on $3.8 billion? I expect my elected officials to make a rational decision, not pander to the 75 people who devote their time to these events.

It's the same people in the room all the time, and it is these people who are shaping future public policy in this city.

Ugh... the truth in that makes me queasy. However, might the lack of interest signify that not many people really want this expo? I can't show up to protest all the things I'm against, but I will attend in support of some things. If nobody shows up, rethink your stance on it. As for the 75 people there, how many stand to personally benefit from their involvement? Showing up early and getting on a $3800 million committee must have some sweet perks, and position you well for a Future in politics.

(note: I don't mean the insinuation personally... I'm sure the self-interested crowd are no more than 50% of those involved)

Harper would be a complete idiot if he didn’t enthusiastically back and submit Toronto’s bid officially come this June.

Why is this bid so uncontested, anyway? Even the Olympics -- with their long track record of debt -- have an initial field of a dozen cities in the running, getting down to 4-5 for the highly contested last months.

I looked at the online form; they don't have a box for "Tell us why you'd rather not throw a $3,800,000,000 party.

A $3,800,000,000 party won't last 6 months ;)

A lot of marketing will pay for the expo, like on top of the $3.8 Billion, at Alchi many companies built expo pavillions for countries, it looked really nice, some I hope they keep there than tear it down.

The Olympics do now, thanks to decades of sucessful marketing which has turned hosting them into something desireable. Back in 1978, Los Angeles was the only city that wanted anything to do with the 1984 Summer Games.

The Olympics are much different from Expos. Olympics are two weeks and a few million visitors. Expos are months long and tens of millions of visitors. Olympics are primarily media events. Expos are attendance events. Olympics are much more likely to leave venues that can't be used again. I think an Expo would be perfect for Toronto. I'm not so sure the Olympics would be a good idea at this point.

I'm not so sure the 2015 equivalent of the Sunsphere would be a venue that could be reused.

"Olympics are much more likely to leave venues that can't be used again."

I don't know how accurate this list is:
www.gamesbids.com/english...nto3.shtml
but it seems as though the only use-it-once-then-tear-it-down facilities might be the archery centre, the modern pentathlon, and maybe the main stadium. SkyDome, ACC, convention centres, etc., already exist and would house lots of events. Useful venues they'd build include a velodrome (Toronto doesn't have one and I'm sure a city this size, the bike theft capital of the world, can muster up a few hundred serious cyclists) and a large aquatics centre.

Expo would leave us with something like another Ontario Place. The stuff might be fantastic, but it might be utter crap...it's a risk.

Back