News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Fare evasion...

W416: You are right-fare evasion is NOT right no matter which way it is BUT I would be less tough on someone who can demonstrate in court,for example that they had little money and is struggling financially but,say that person just wants to get home for example-compared with someone arrested with beating the system-a repeat offender-or perhaps an offender with other sinister deeds in mind.

Perhaps for a first offense maybe cutting someone some slack-perhaps a fine or maybe community service AND a stern warning that it does NOT happen again. Each case may be very different...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Psst....
Digging around the seat cushions in the rec room, I found some old TTC tokens. The ones that are all silvery, not the new two colour tokens.
Should I try to sneak them in, or just keep them as souvenirs?

Given that the TTC never stipulates that tokens have an expiry date, you could try using them.

Given that the TTC never stipulates that tokens have an expiry date, you could try using them.

Actually they did with these ones. The silver ones are no longer accepted as fare.

Just to cover my butt:

You should not try to use them. That would be fare evasion. Fare evasion is bad.
:rolleyes:

I find it strange that no one has actually even bothered to look up the TTC's fare evasion rate, which, in a 2000 report, was a measly 0.7%. (http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/fare_collection_report_2000.pdf) At its peak in the mid-90s, it was under 2%. The Queen Streetcar is at about 2%. All these figures are within acceptable standards in the industry for fare evasion rates. I'm not saying things shouldn't be done to reduce fare evasion, but, for example, the added cost of delays in loading vehicles on fare-paid platforms, or the cost of increased enforcement, will likely be greater than the .3 or .4% improvement you may see in the evasion rate. There will always be a base of 1-1.5% of fare evasion no matter what you do.

2000 TTC Fare Study...

299-BCC: Good link to this TTC 2000 Study on fare collection!

What has changed in nine years?

One way that NYC Transit controls Unlimited Metrocard use is an 18-minute lockout at the same station or bus route to eliminate "Pass-back" abuse.

Another thing about Metrocard-with a Pay-Per-Ride card the transfer is 2 hours 16 minutes elapsed time from the time of original use. Many people do not even know about this feature!

The Chicago Transit Authority decided not to put swipe readers in rapid transit stations-they used a transport-type system similar to how NYC Transit collects bus fares.

Cubic-Western Data designed both of these systems and was influential in Washington Metro's fare collection system as well.

A well-designed fare collection system that is easy to use is a great benefit for any mass transit system!

- Long Island Mike -

I learned this week that you can fool the Viva fare validation machines and get at least a round-trip out of one ticket. In both cases, it should be valid, although the second time is sketchy as it will have two validation stamp times.

299-BCC: Good link to this TTC 2000 Study on fare collection!

What has changed in nine years?

One way that NYC Transit controls Unlimited Metrocard use is an 18-minute lockout at the same station or bus route to eliminate "Pass-back" abuse.

Another thing about Metrocard-with a Pay-Per-Ride card the transfer is 2 hours 16 minutes elapsed time from the time of original use. Many people do not even know about this feature!

The Chicago Transit Authority decided not to put swipe readers in rapid transit stations-they used a transport-type system similar to how NYC Transit collects bus fares.

Cubic-Western Data designed both of these systems and was influential in Washington Metro's fare collection system as well.

A well-designed fare collection system that is easy to use is a great benefit for any mass transit system!

- Long Island Mike -

Then there is the opps factor. Where one slides the card through the reader, but tries to go through the wrong turnstile (depends on type of turnstile). And it trying to correct, it locks you out. Or just where it would baffle new users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uobhv11bYa8

Even a good fare collection system has its quirks...

WKLis: I will definitely second that-it has happened to me more than once with an Unlimited Metrocard I was using.

In that case you have got to wait the 18 minutes or plead your case to the station attendant...

If you ignore the machine warnings with a Pay-Per-Ride Metrocard you risk having another $2 fare being deducted from your card.

I guess Nothing's Perfect...LI MIKE

I learned this week that you can fool the Viva fare validation machines and get at least a round-trip out of one ticket. In both cases, it should be valid, although the second time is sketchy as it will have two validation stamp times.

i've seen a woman get caught with a ticket like that. the fare inspector said she couldn't have 2 time stamps on one ticket therefore it was void.

but i think he just gave her a warning since she could barely speak english.

Back