News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The entire TTC streetcar network currently uses single point switches instead of dual point switches like what is in place on the subway network as well as the Eglinton and Finch West LRTs. I believe as derailments can occur more frequently with this style of switch due to the switching direction not being easy to reliably verify at speed, it was decided to have the streetcars stop before proceeding to try and lower the number of incidents. This is combined with the fact that there are numerous track switches throughout the downtown core, which can make for a sluggish trip.

I wouldn't rule out excessively padded round trip times which would intentionally slow down operations for operations sake, but that's more of a system-wide issue that mostly affect heavier-used bus and streetcar routes alike.
Single-point switches, when used correctly and with equipment that has been designed for their use like that in Toronto, is no more or no less safe than double-point switches. And in fact, in many ways it is easier to operate and maintain as there are far fewer moving parts.

The stop-and-stay ruling for all facing point switches dates back to a couple of rather nasty derailments that took place about 15 or 20 years ago because of a number of operators not taking enough care while operating, and not specifically due to the equipment installed. That, and the fact that the control system used for the operation of the switches is old and need of replacement has gotten us to where we are now.

Dan

A report on the City Acquiring the land from Mx that would be used for the Community Hub is headed to the next General Government and Licensing Committee:

From said report:

1618840468237.png

1618840551640.png

Attachments

• 1618840524040.png
    1618840524040.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 124
With the future Hwy 27-Woodbine GO station set to be constructed, has there been any talk of extending FWLRT down Hwy 27 to connect to it? Someone living at Jane and Finch would probably be able to get downtown much faster connecting to the future GO RER service than taking the line to Finch West station and then riding Line 1 all the way down.
Unfunded. Should be Phase 2 of this line.

With the future Hwy 27-Woodbine GO station set to be constructed, has there been any talk of extending FWLRT down Hwy 27 to connect to it? Someone living at Jane and Finch would probably be able to get downtown much faster connecting to the future GO RER service than taking the line to Finch West station and then riding Line 1 all the way down.

I like that LRT extension as it will enhance the network connections. But I don't believe a trip from Jane & Finch to downtown via Woodbine will be faster than a 5 min ride to Keele & Finch and then a subway ride.

The GO portion of the trip may be very fast, but the LRT ride to Woodbine will take 25-30 min.

But the GO option may work for someone boarding further west, such as Albion & Finch, or Kipling & Finch; as long as GO trains run every 10-15 minutes.

Write into Dougie and Metrolinx about that. I have. I think it makes a lot of sense adding two stops, Woodbine Centre and Woodbine Racetrack/GO Station. Those both would potentially be in the top 5 ridership on that line.

so the Mx 2041 RTP has the FW line going to Pearson, but I don't think that will necessarily happen anymore with COVID impacting GTAA heavily and making them re-think their transit terminal plans. Besides, there isn't any GO RER service planned for Pearson other than the existing UP Express (as far as I know). I think a much more cost-effective solution is just to run this line to the new GO station at Woodbine and call it a day.
It depends. While the plans have been put on hold, I doubt that the GTAA won't quickly regain their money. Pearson is still a vital airport, and the GTAA will make a lot of money. Once COVID ends and lockdowns are lifted, expect a massive surge of air travel as people are finally able to travel for the first time in what, 18 months?

Bear in mind that in any scenario there will also be Eglinton/Mississauga Transitway airport access from the south. I could see a scenario in which the GTAA shift their transportation center as a whole up to Woodbine, but getting the northern access to Woodbine and then having a gap of only ~2km to the terminal for southern access is, frankly, too dumb even for Toronto.

That said, my expectation at this point is that the GTAA will end up supporting a single, less than wholly grade separated, mixed bus/rail ROW with a terminal around Viscount and leave the TTC to fill the gap between Woodbine and Humber College.

Ford and Holyday recommended this? Wow. Credit where credit's due.

Could they have seen the light on the value of transit?

Hmmm

Or might this have something to do with serving the corporate interests behind the Woodbine Live development?

Just wondering......

Maybe sometimes it doesn't matter if the reason for doing the right thing is the best one.........

Could they have seen the light on the value of transit?

Hmmm

Or might this have something to do with serving the corporate interests behind the Woodbine Live development?

Just wondering......

Maybe sometimes it doesn't matter if the reason for doing the right thing is the best one.........
I wonder if Matlow and Tam vote against it because it's introduced by Ford and Holyday

Back