News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Did anyone on council realize that the TTC has nothing to do with this? Shouldn't the clerk or one of the members of the TTC board have said something about it?

The Motion actually idenfies the TTC, and the Transit Expansion Office and the Chief Planner.

The existing Finch West LRT belongs to Mx.

Any project not covered by the City's Memorandum w/the province would be, at least in theory, a City project.

So unless Mx identifies a further Finch West extension as their priority, it would fall to the City to fund it.

The TTC is also the operator of the Finch West LRT.

Obviously, Mx would have to cooperate with any plan.

The Motion actually idenfies the TTC, and the Transit Expansion Office and the Chief Planner.

Any project not covered by the City's Memorandum w/the province would be, at least in theory, a City project.

So unless Mx identifies a further Finch West extension as their priority, it would fall to the City to fund it.

Still I think Metrolinx would have to be involved in the plans as well. Although it really doesn't surprise me because one time I saw a whole debate in city council about asking for a special light to be put on the back of TTC buses to indicate when they were turning out of an on street bus bay until one council member said that they already have them and that they are called turn signals. Even the clerk didn't catch on to it and only told them that they can only ask that the TTC do something and not tell them.

It's a quick win for the city with 'little' cost as it's only a couple km of track.

Would the city be able to ask the current consortium to build the extension?
Without knowing anything about it. I would doubt it. These projects bring together so many different organizations to manage the project that I'd imagine it might be simpler for the city to have the TTC build it. It's the same as laying down streetcar track which they know how to do. The hardest and most expensive part is probably meeting the current track below grade at Humber. At least both tracks are on the west side of the street which might make it easier to make a straight line into the Woodbine Live complex. But hey, I really know nothing about all this.

Without knowing anything about it. I would doubt it. These projects bring together so many different organizations to manage the project that I'd imagine it might be simpler for the city to have the TTC build it. It's the same as laying down streetcar track which they know how to do. The hardest and most expensive part is probably meeting the current track below grade at Humber. At least both tracks are on the west side of the street which might make it easier to make a straight line into the Woodbine Live complex. But hey, I really know nothing about all this.
Assuming Finch West is completed roughly on-time and on budget, I think you would want to contract the same company(ies) to build the extension. The engineers and construction teams know the infrastructure and would have learned from the project. I'd expect there was also some thought to building the extension during the initial design. Now, someone else may come along with a better bid, but the current team would likely be the preferred option.

Ford and Holyday recommended this? Wow. Credit where credit's due.

Ford is Councillor for Ward 1 (Etobicoke North) and Holyday is Councillor for Ward 2 (Etobicoke Centre). Both Councillors represent the western edge of Toronto. The western extension would be entirely in Ward 1.

An eastern extension to at least the Finch Station on Line 1 would go through Wards 6 and 18. Waiting for Councillors Pasternak and Filion's recommendations.

D68AFB60-E1BE-4512-A600-D6D12D9D16F7.jpeg
I miss these days.

The problem would be optics. Without a bidding process it would appear as favoritism, and in most places would be considered illegal, or at least unethical.

Back