News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I love all the BACKYARDS of the series of SFH's backing directly onto a major rapid transit line. That's so Toronto 🤣
Like these low rise semis with street parking and on a cul de sac within a five minute walk of Wembley Park Station in London UK?

1705018776102.png

Or these low rise neighborhoods within a 10 minute walking distance from the same station?

1705019491570.png

A station that's 40 minutes outside central London:

1705019618020.png

I get what you're saying, but it's still a low effort comment.

We will see how well this "Transit City" lead development would goes. The target (back in 2008) is midrise blocks along the whole corridor oppose to high rise development at stations only.

Like these low rise semis with street parking and on a cul de sac within a five minute walk of Wembley Park Station in London UK?

View attachment 532674

Or these low rise neighborhoods within a 10 minute walking distance from the same station?

View attachment 532706

A station that's 40 minutes outside central London:

View attachment 532711

I get what you're saying, but it's still a low effort comment.
I don't think it's really fair to call it "low effort" - I don't think it would be totally outrageous of me to assume that those London examples, which I wasn't aware of, are more likely the exception in a city like that, whereas here...

I went looking for test runs today, and found one at Sentinel. Mostly they seemed to be testing the parking brake and possibly the operator's seat cushion.

There was still a lot of construcction activity along the line, with plenty of heating tents in place and sections protected by grounds - but the work being done was all on small things, which is encouraging.

My two observations of note were: one, with the roadwork not finished and snow removal not a priority, it's not easy to make a left turn out of sidestreets and know where to aim. I bet there are a few car-onto-row incidents before people figure it out. And two, I noticed that while the platforms make good refuge islands for pedestrians crossing Finch, there is no similar island on the non-platform side of the tracks (where the pylons are in this image). I bet a few pedestrians find themselves stranded between the track and the roadway, thinking it's safe to stop there when the light goes stale.

Certainly looks like the line will be ready soon, and that's impressive. I'm hoping it will be open in time for the next Finchhenge - ie when sunrise or sunset aligns with the roadway. There are some killer long-lens images forming up out there.

- Paul

20240117 TTC 6503 d.jpg

36 mins to go 10km? lol. This isn't going to be convincing anybody to get out of their car. Happy with how quickly they finished this, but we need to do better. I don't even want this line on our Rapid Transit/Subway map, certainly not the "stops" that are not stations, this should appear on the streetcar network map.

Something is definitely wrong if the line is only going to achieve an average speed of 16 km/h. A journey of the same length in Prague or Bratislava, on trackage built the same as here, averages 24-26 km/h, which is only a little worse than the average speed of our subway lines. What is supposed to be the speed limit on this line? Wikipedia says it's supposed to be 60 km/h, but I have a difficult time believing that, Bratislava and Prague only rate their lines for 50 km/h and their journeys are so much quicker. Is it the number of stops? Is it all the imbecilic safety rules?

Why is no one capable of getting anything right in this god forsaken town?

It looks slow, but that is around 7 minutes per 2km. It usually takes me 5 minutes to drive 2km on an arterial.
The line has more than one stop for every 2km. Add in the dwell time at stations, the number makes sense.

To compare though, line 4 takes 9min to travel less than 6km. The line has less stops, and does not have to contend with surface traffic lights.

I am sure line 6 can have the same speed if it's built as a cross town line instead of a local service; together with giving it absolute signal priority - similar to the LRTs in Alberta.

36 mins to go 10km? lol. This isn't going to be convincing anybody to get out of their car.
And yet it's replacing one of the busier bus lines in the city - which at 5 pm is scheduled to take 64 minutes on a Tuesday to get Finch West station to Finch and Highway 27. Google Maps estimates that the car travel time at 5 pm up to an hour. Even at 4 AM, it takes a car at least 22 minutes (and up to 30 minutes).

Yeah, seems a slow though - I don't really head that far down Finch; I'm not sure what's driving that travel time. On the other hand, it's about twice the speed of a streetcar heading to Yonge in rush hour.

Last edited:

Back