News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I was thinking the same thing. It could even be an opportunity for something creative......not just a parkade, but a cool parkade. Funky materials,...maybe some built in retail?

From what I've heard retail uses in that location are hard to incorporate since typically retail has access/loading at the rear of the building - with the lots backing up on the tracks it makes it difficult to access. That leaves office use (which would be unlikely for awhile in this economy) and residential. Residential is tough because the ground units would back right onto the tracks as well and not be particularly desirable.

An overarching issue is that the City has apparently been hesitant on approving developments along the tracks as there may be new rules. I guess their concern is the idea of safety in case there is train-derailment somehow along the tracks. The result is that they either was large setbacks from the tracks (too much in fact to make a high rise development feasible) or they want a crash wall incorporated into the development with less sensitive uses on the first few floors of any development. Less sensitive would exclude residential/office use.

This would imply that developments on the tracks, for the first few stories at the very least would be parking with the potential for residential/office/mixed use above. Perhaps with this particular lot we'll see a parkade build initially but with the capacity to add a mixed use development on top in the future once it is more feasible.

This above reasoning is also an issue that WAM is facing with their development of the Metro Ford site (http://oneproperties.com/9th-avenue-residential/) .. Which is why we may not see commercial uses on the first few floors, rather mostly parking. That could create some ugly street-level interaction but perhaps they'll get creative to improve it.

I've also heard that another lot along the tracks that is across the street from One site along 10th has a similar issue with development.

The fact that CMLC is spearheading the parkade alleviates some of the concerns that I would have if this was simply a CPA initiative. What they have done with the East Village design and the fact that they are partnering with the Stampede Board to help develop those lands leads me to believe that they will be looking for something more than a basic parking structure. Obviously we'll need to see what gets put forward but the general idea of eliminating a surface lot along the tracks in an area that can put the parking to use (City Hall, NMC, Library, Stampede, Olympic Plaza, etc.) is fine by me.

Hmmm. As a rule I'm against using land for parking in any capacity, but if it's going to cover up the CPR and convert some otherwise stagnant land... We could always tear it down in 20 years one we need a new place to build I suppose.

Totally agreed. I support this fully. Also, I believe I heard a year or two back when the parkade was first being discussed, isn't the parkade supposed to have retail frontage along 9th avenue?

The fact that CMLC is spearheading the parkade alleviates some of the concerns that I would have if this was simply a CPA initiative. What they have done with the East Village design and the fact that they are partnering with the Stampede Board to help develop those lands leads me to believe that they will be looking for something more than a basic parking structure. Obviously we'll need to see what gets put forward but the general idea of eliminating a surface lot along the tracks in an area that can put the parking to use (City Hall, NMC, Library, Stampede, Olympic Plaza, etc.) is fine by me.

Good point. Hopefully new spots can be used as leverage when people complain about the closing of other parking lots.

Calgary looks at building 500-stall parking structure in East Village
Structure would provide parking for National Music Centre, new library, entertainment district

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...500-stall-parking-structure-east-village.html

It kills an empty lot and I'll take a structure over a surface lot a billion times over. I also think there are plans to redevelop the parking structure across 3rd SE from city hall, so ultimately I don't think this ads much new capacity. I don't really know what else they could put there. It's along the CPR line which is less desirable for residential and the only other buildings in spitting distance seems to be that Enmax sub-station and some ugly old office towers. It seems to me that this is a fairly appropriate use for the lot.

You're probably right. I will admit that the Garage Mahal (Centennial Parkade @ 5th Street & 9th Ave SW) is easy on the eyes for a parking structure and I would mind if they went for something of the sort, but I also understand that it was horrendously expensive to build. Lack of CPA involvement will probably be for the best. So here's hoping that this can indeed turn out to be something not-hateful if not worthwhile.

I know that in Paris, there are many underground garages. Does anyone know if it is more expensive to go downward versus upward? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but it is rediculously so?

Last edited:
I know that in Paris, there are many underground garages. Does anyone know if it is more expensive to go downward versus upward? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but it is rediculously so?

It is definitely more expensive to go downward. Like, the construction cost is multiple times more expensive. Excavation is one of the most expensive and time-consuming parts of construction. However, depending on soil types and building weight on top, a deep foundation may be necessary for the building, in which case, you'll have to dig out a few floors anyway. Below-grade floorspace can't be used for much besides parking, so it often makes sense to put it underground even if there is zero regulation about this.

Druh Farrell tweeted that this building will be mixed use of office, residential and retail, and that the parkade would be secondary. It's sounding better all the time.

Druh Farrell tweeted that this building will be mixed use of office, residential and retail, and that the parkade would be secondary. It's sounding better all the time.

That's excellent. Are you sure she was referring to the EV parkade?

Flashback Friday......

Image1.jpg

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 280
That is Chocolate.

No other building in the city has windows tinted that shade of turquoise.

Back