News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Was perusing Google Maps when I noticed this interesting apartment development in Abbottsfield on what used to be parking lots. I suspect that this is another one of those developments that was only possible thanks to the removal of parking minimums. All-in-all, another win for more housing.
1713991324036.png

1713991350984.png

Yup, I was by there the other day - not my choice...but the entire lot of what used to be called "Abbotsfield Mall" could use a nice clean bulldozing with another dozen of these front and center.....

Was perusing Google Maps when I noticed this interesting apartment development in Abbottsfield on what used to be parking lots. I suspect that this is another one of those developments that was only possible thanks to the removal of parking minimums. All-in-all, another win for more housing.
I know a bit about this one, it was in the works before the parking minimums were removed and has a few levels of underground parkade under the whole project. I think it still meets the old parking minimums.

I know it's still pretty rough but old Beverly could pop off. It's far enough out of the way from the super sketch, character for days, loads of still affordable housing stock and the always desirable Ada nearby. I really hope younger people and developers jump into the area to invest back into the community, it really deserves it and has loads of potential for new businesses to take root.

On that note I have not noted the same level of infill we see in the west or south of the city, hope that changes soon.

Unlike Europe and some other places, we in North America are long used to development based on a limitless supply of land. Well in more popular areas that supply is now quickly starting to run out.

So people will have significantly change how we think about development particularly in the older suburbs. For instance, people in TO may be able to preserve their neighbourhoods, but it may be at the expense of having to come to places like Edmonton to visit their grandchildren, because their kids can't afford to live near there.

Back