News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The "if I pretend I don't see you, I don't have to give way" move. I'm pretty short, and tall people do this to me a lot. As we're approaching each other from opposite directions, they suddenly crook their necks up, so their line of "vision" goes over my head, and then come straight at me pretending they "can't see me". I used to dodge, but I got tired of always being the guy in the ditch while everyone else walked straight. So now I have occasional collisions. Oh, well.

I find the opposite. I am tall and find that short people are the worst. They come nipping at my heels like it is their goal to take me out. "The bigger they are, the harder they'll fall" seems to be some people's motto. I can see you, I move to the side, but you keep walking right into me. I used to be concerned about taking people out, but not anymore. If you are foolish and walk right into me, I will keep walking into you. Guess who's gonna win?

People who walk across the flow of traffic are the worst. They wont look to their side to see who is coming. I just keep walking, and if that means walking into your side, then I do it.

one time i was stopped on the sidewalk, the chair takes up about half of it and this person on a bike gave me shit because i was blocking their way. :eek:

please, to anyone, don't spit and don't let your dogs shit or piss on the sidewalk. i can't take off my wheels at the door.

People who walk across the flow of traffic are the worst. They wont look to their side to see who is coming. I just keep walking, and if that means walking into your side, then I do it.

Whither Canadian politeness-to-a-fault?

Seriously, in that situation I at just sidestep them. No need to be excessively rude. If they are rude, then it reflects poorly on them. No need to stoop to their level.

I hate the prick with his damn segway, who thinks he owns the sidewalk...that makes me Very, Very Angry....

Short women carrying umbrellas that nearly poke out your eyes as they pass you - especially when it's barely drizzling - really bug me.

The Post also has something to say about this...

Link to article

Guide to walking - one step at a time

Kelvin Browne
National Post

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE (I)

Complaint Pedestrians forget what it's like to be a driver -- they walk as slowly as possible on a crosswalk when cars are waiting to make a turn or linger in the crosswalk after the ongoing traffic has been given the green light. Kelvin Browne I can only assume pedestrians believe the wide white stopline on the pavement in front of a crosswalk has magical properties that make it impossible for angry or distracted drivers to cross it and run them over. This is especially noticeable when a driver is trying to make a right turn and pedestrians appear to slow their pace on the crosswalk as if to say, "I'll decide when you make the turn, buddy." Talking on a cellphone or using a BlackBerry are sufficient excuses, it would seem, to justify keeping several cars stopped: "My call is so important I'll take it in the middle of the crosswalk." It's odd that the voice on the phone has more reality, and gets more attention, than the traffic swirling about.

Years ago, you tried not to keep a driver waiting if you were in the crosswalk and your light changed to amber. Even if you didn't move that much more quickly, you made the appearance of trying to hustle. You were likely a driver yourself and knew how frustrating it is to be stalled by a passive-aggressive pedestrian.

Today, few quicken their pace as a traffic light starts its countdown. "Let them wait." The worst offenders are those with baby strollers. The light may be yellow, but a pedestrian with a stroller shoves it forward, usually with an unsuspecting child who doesn't know he or she is being exploited. If they don't have strollers, these types use their dogs in a similar manner. Worst are jaywalkers who believe if they don't look at drivers in cars, they can't hit them. I hope they never find out this isn't true.

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE (II)

Complaint People walk down the street and don't walk on the right and are forever bumping into fellow pedestrians. Similarly, people don't stand on the right on an escalator and walk on the left but stand, period, and stop others from moving at all. KB Therearekeyurbanskills that contribute to an orderly society and certainly make the simplest tasks much easier -- such as walking down the street. Walk to the right and it will avoid a constant succession of standoffs as you saunter along. Even in a polite encounter, it's very annoying when you're trapped in one of those you move to the left, he moves to the right but you move to right and then he moves to the ? and so on. Both of you are immobilized for minutes as you sort it out.

Most unpleasant are those, mostly under 30, who assume they are on the correct side of the sidewalk whatever side they're on. And you are not. These are kids who not only have never been told how to use a sidewalk but likely won't bother following the rules if they were given instruction. They believe in anarchy as long as they get their way.

Couples arm-in-arm tend to think they own the sidewalk, too. Ladies of a certain age who lunch will walk three abreast and assume you should step in the gutter and let them by. Many people with earphones glued to their skulls are unconscious of the world around them and are oblivious as they smack into you while they play they play their favourite tunes.

How to cope? Just stand perfectly still when someone is coming your way on the wrong side of the sidewalk. Usually the person approaching will adjust their course before there's a collision. If not, you've just given a pedestrian a civics lesson.

I was going to post that just to get the rage-o-meter up.

How dare pedestrians use their right-of-way to impede motorists!

Complaint Pedestrians forget what it's like to be a driver -- they walk as slowly as possible on a crosswalk when cars are waiting to make a turn or linger in the crosswalk after the ongoing traffic has been given the green light.

granny, get the fuck out of the way! don't you know what it's like to be a driver? :rolleyes:

the pedestrian crossing are not on for long enough. one time i almost saw a person with mobility impairment get killed because he didn't have enough time to make it to the other side.

as a manestrian , a pedestrian who walks with his hands, i can truly say the the sidewalks and crossings are designed to be pro car, from the curb cuts to suicidal crossing times. :(

The worst are the right-turn green arrows (which you don't see much outside of Toronto), which encourage drivers to fly through red lights making rights, when the arrow has gone from amber to red, and the white walk signal has displayed. I've almost been hit a few times this way.

I have a new pedestrian pet peeve. The dude standing on the north-west corner of Dundas and Yonge. He used to have a big goiter on his neck, which has since been removed. Anyway, he's shilling for Jesus, and the past two times I have walked past him, just as I pass him, when my ear is within 2 feet of his mouth, he chooses to SCREAM at me about Jesus. He was completely silent for the entire time I was crossing the cross-walk, but he yells in my ear.

Seriously, I'm thinking of punching him next time, or at the very least yelling in his ear.

The worst offenders are those with baby strollers. The light may be yellow, but a pedestrian with a stroller shoves it forward, usually with an unsuspecting child who doesn't know he or she is being exploited.

Reminds me of Homer complaing about the "damn mooching war widows" getting discount bus passes.

The worst are the right-turn green arrows (which you don't see much outside of Toronto), which encourage drivers to fly through red lights making rights, when the arrow has gone from amber to red, and the white walk signal has displayed. I've almost been hit a few times this way.

I've only ever seen the right-turn green arrow in a few limited places. The only one that I can recall is Westbound Rathburn to Northbound Mavis, which occurs at the same time as left-turn lights for Southbound Mavis to Eastbound Rathburn and Northbound Mavis to Westbound Rathburn. In that configuration, all of those directions can make their turns without having to worry about other directions of traffic, including that right turn. I'm not sure how that's difficult for pedestrians to understand though, since I'm pretty sure the pedestrian signals account for this. There is a small memorial thing on Rathburn there though, and a sign that says "Watch for Pedestrians", but I'm not sure if that right-turn green light is what caused the accident, whatever it was.

It's the fact that drivers will really abuse the green arrow phase, much like they do already with left turn arrow phases, so drivers are racing through when the arrow is gone and the white walk signal goes on.

Back