News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Right-turn greens are most common when there's a corresponding "major" left-turn green (Bloor/Jane is one case)

Women are worse than men because it never occurs to them they might get cold-cocked in a worse case scenario - which is always a possibility for a man.

My peeves:

How about the female companion who forgets to adjust her course so that you can avoid getting run into other pedestrians, lamposts etc?

People who as you overtake them (perhaps as they wrap up a call), suddenly accelerate such that you are walking side-by-side for 2-3 blocks.

I have no problem with old dames walking arm in arm to/from the Gardner. I will gladly step into the gutter for them as its easier for me to adjust my course.

People who walk straight out of stores, then stand dazed in the middle of the sidewalk.

Joggers on Yonge or Bloor, or any busy street. Take your chances and run in the road or find a sidestreet.

But no matter what never provoke something. People from different backgrounds (small towns) just dont know. I don't think anyone here would want a militant pedestrian to put a shoulder into their mother, father, or grandparent to teach them a lesson.

The worst pedestrians (usually of the NDP voting, granola-eating, left-wing bomb-throwing persuasion - and almost invariably man-hating spinsters or dykes) are those who positively leap off the curb salivating at the opportunity to get a car stranded in the middle of an intersection. You can see them itching in their self-ritcheous way to teach the driver a lesson. These people instantly reveal themselves as bitter, indigent, non-drivers.

Advice: pause and let the driver through so that gridlock doesn't ensue. Otherwise you'll just look like like a frustrated, bitter, loser.

I agree, US. If the driver is too stupid to realize that the traffic is backed up, and that their selfish action simply worsens the vehicular and pedestrian traffic in the intersection, then the pedestrian is right to shoot dirty looks (as the stranded drivers who cannot pass through the intersection also begin to justifiably honk).

I find the opposite. I am tall and find that short people are the worst. They come nipping at my heels like it is their goal to take me out. "The bigger they are, the harder they'll fall" seems to be some people's motto. I can see you, I move to the side, but you keep walking right into me. I used to be concerned about taking people out, but not anymore. If you are foolish and walk right into me, I will keep walking into you. Guess who's gonna win?

People who walk across the flow of traffic are the worst. They wont look to their side to see who is coming. I just keep walking, and if that means walking into your side, then I do it.

Whenever I have a sidewalk collision, I just politely yell "Why don't you watch where I'm going!"

The worst pedestrians (usually of the NDP voting, granola-eating, left-wing bomb-throwing persuasion - and almost invariably man-hating spinsters or dykes) are those who positively leap off the curb salivating at the opportunity to get a car stranded in the middle of an intersection. You can see them itching in their self-ritcheous way to teach the driver a lesson. These people instantly reveal themselves as bitter, indigent, non-drivers.

Advice: pause and let the driver through so that gridlock doesn't ensue. Otherwise you'll just look like like a frustrated, bitter, loser.
I'm a driver, and one of my biggest road pet peeves is when other drivers aren't aware that they won't be able to clear an intersection - and move forward. Or worse those who know damn well that there's no way they're going to clear before the lights turn, but they go ahead anyway.

Wow, who nettled your scrotum?

Actually, I've never been hung up in an intersection. And I'm an overly considerate driver to both pedestrians and other drivers. Its just the mean-spirited glee with which some militant walkers (who I described accurately) try to serve lessons.
Anyone could get hung up out there especially if thier visibility is screwed up and they cant see that nothing is moving and that not one car will get through the green.
Anyway, I was just trying to "out" US because I've seen her burgundy wig flying off the curb towards stranded cars in the past.

How can a driver not see that, directly in front of him or her, the traffic is completely stopped and there is no chance of clearing the intersection before the light changes? If they can't see something so obvious, they shouldn't be driving.
You're trying to defend what is essentially a selfish act perpetrated by a driver to try to gain a few seconds so that they don't have to wait for the next light. It impacts traffic going across the intersection, as well as pedestrians, who must now risk their safety to weave between stupid, impatient drivers who are blocking the crosswalk and the intersection. It also causes traffic bottlenecks which simply intensifies the problem. I hardly think a few well-placed dirty looks is somehow unjustified.

It's also illegal.

From the Highway Traffic Act:

145. (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit a driver or street car operator approaching, at an intersection, a traffic control signal showing a circular green or green arrow indication from entering the intersection unless traffic in front of him or her is moving in a manner that would reasonably lead him or her to believe he or she can clear the intersection before the signal indication changes to a circular red indication. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (1).

And the City of Toronto has by-laws pertaining to blockage of intersections. The "don't block the box" are merely the intersections targeted for heavy enforcement.

How can a driver not see that, directly in front of him or her, the traffic is completely stopped and there is no chance of clearing the intersection before the light changes? If they can't see something so obvious, they shouldn't be driving.
You're trying to defend what is essentially a selfish act perpetrated by a driver to try to gain a few seconds so that they don't have to wait for the next light. It impacts traffic going across the intersection, as well as pedestrians, who must now risk their safety to weave between stupid, impatient drivers who are blocking the crosswalk and the intersection. It also causes traffic bottlenecks which simply intensifies the problem. I hardly think a few well-placed dirty looks is somehow unjustified.

The corner of King and Jarvis is ground central for this on Sundays. I often ask the morons blocking traffic if it is their first day driving.

That's exactly the intersection that I was thinking of as well. Even Saturday afternoons are bad when the produce trucks are lined up beside the market, meaning only one lane of traffic moves. The stupidity of the drivers who are stuck in the middle of the intersection, being honked at by cars and given dirty looks by the pedestrians, is breathtaking.

You can also barely move on that sidewalk on Saturdays, with all the farmers selling $8 baskets of peaches that you can buy for $3 at the Dominion next door.

Back