News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The original announcement was for double tracking from York University Station (mp 12.6) to Rutherford Road (mp 16.5).

Is there any sign of construction south of Langstaff?

Sounds like the CTC project on the north end is almost complete. The signals are turned on, but only in test mode - the line is still working under OCS for the time being.

- Paul
construction south of langstaff is progressing very well. good portion of the second track is laid, and the most complex piece of construction - a new rail bridge over a creek south of langstaff, is progressing as well.

Sounds like the CTC project on the north end is almost complete. The signals are turned on, but only in test mode - the line is still working under OCS for the time being.

The CTC system was activated for the first time yesterday. It'll be interesting to see if they make any schedule changes in the near term as a result.

Edit*
Nvm. They it was suppose to go live on Friday but it didn't happen for some reason. Just another GO/MX project delayed again. Like the changing of the seasons, what else is new. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The CTC system was activated for the first time yesterday. It'll be interesting to see if they make any schedule changes in the near term as a result.
So the line finally reaches the 20th century. ;)

For the whole GO network, is there a rail map diagram somewhere describing what switch/control systems are in use, on which line? OCS, CTC construction/active/ready, and additionally which lines are PTC-ready, etc? It'd be interesting to see what the progress system-wide is, as well as what's planned / what's done.

So the line finally reaches the 20th century. ;)

For the whole GO network, is there a rail map diagram somewhere describing what switch/control systems are in use, on which line? OCS, CTC construction/active/ready, and additionally which lines are PTC-ready, etc? It'd be interesting to see what the progress system-wide is, as well as what's planned / what's done.

With this cutover, it is all vanilla CTC signalling without cab signalling or speed/stopping enforcement. I don't know of a source that would identify the brand, capabilities, or whatever. The only bit that I would describe as 'old' is the Richmond Hill line south of Doncaster. The UPX line is fibre-optic connected, but whether that implies a higher level connectivity to the trains I don't know.

CTC is still built to the data arcitecture of the old signalbox technology of the early 1900's - each interlocking is a freestanding machine. Historically the interlockings were connected by a single telegraph-like communication circuit along each line running at about 100 baud. The current dispatching network is capable of 9600 baud. The interlockings and the hotbox detectors talk to the dispatcher, but not to the trains.

- Paul

Whenever the false starts end for the Barrie/Newmarket CTC, the entire current GO network will be on signalize territory(CTC). The only line which is equipped for PTC is the Pearson sub though without the in cab signalling, which would of been nice considering some of the piss poor sightlines to signals.

Edit*
Nvm. They it was suppose to go live on Friday but it didn't happen for some reason. Just another GO/MX project delayed again. Like the changing of the seasons, what else is new. :rolleyes:

PNR is having manpower problems, and hasn't been able to get enough crews out. Metrolinx has agreed to push back the activation of the signals until early in the new year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

PNR is having manpower problems, and hasn't been able to get enough crews out. Metrolinx has agreed to push back the activation of the signals until early in the new year.

Thanks for the info.

The interlockings and the hotbox detectors talk to the dispatcher, but not to the trains.

Would be nice to have direct communication with them. As is the hotbox/wayside detectors do transmit their readings over the standby channel(CN 1) but it's easy enough to not hear them go off in which case we have to reduce to 35mph(until recently it used to be 10mph!) until we receive confirmation of a good reading from the RTC.

Barrie Line double-tracking update through Vaughan, December 26 2015.

The new track is being built with concrete ties!

According to the trail closure sign, this construction is expected to be complete around August 2016.
23364147933_44f52465ff_z.jpg

Looking north from Langstaff Rd. Trains are now using the new track.
23623109389_5bb4edc57f_c.jpg

For some reason, the Langstaff Rd crossing crossing was built with wooden ties. Here is the transition.
23695456350_dcae295db1_c.jpg

Looking north across Langstaff Rd.
23362778754_f8d550dec9_c.jpg

New 2-track crossing sign. I get that it's bilingual, but it still seems a bit odd to say "2 trains" rather than "2 tracks".
23964917046_f30018a702_c.jpg

Looking south from Langstaff Rd.
23908462531_9540d36cc8_c.jpg

Embankment widening south of Langstaff Rd. The speed limit sign indicates 45 mph (72 km/h) for passenger trains.
23882770332_f6e5e4d446_c.jpg

Stack of concrete ties on the embankment.
23362794394_fa66e09369_c.jpg

Culvert widening over the West Don River.
23364179583_41ac50d417_c.jpg

South of the culvert it embankment grading seems to be complete.
23623130319_78f4d8f232_c.jpg

Looking north from North Rivermede Dr.
23882739842_70317f89c3_c.jpg

Closeup of the new concrete ties.
23964886986_878b9ac6b1_c.jpg

Looking south from North Rivermede Dr.
23695281220_c30281040c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo's and it's nice to see GO/MX has finally seen the benefits of using concrete ties.

Embankment widening south of Langstaff Rd. The speed limit sign indicates 45 mph (72 km/h) for passenger trains.
23882770332_f6e5e4d446_c.jpg

That's actually an advance speed sign which is placed 2 miles before a change in speed, in this case for the flyover at Snider; 45 for passenger 25 for freights. The actual track speed on the section of track is 75mph.

They don't have speed signs on the railways, instead the expectation is that we memorize the location of them all before hand. It make sense in that since trains need much longer distances to slow down they warn you sufficiently ahead of time so that you'll be down to that speed before entering the lower speed zone.

Great photo's and it's nice to see GO/MX has finally seen the benefits of using concrete ties.

Indeed! It's surprising they'd start now though, rather than with GTS which is a much busier and faster line.

That's actually an advance speed sign which is placed 2 miles before a change in speed, in this case for the flyover at Snider; 45 for passenger 25 for freights. The actual track speed on the section of track is 75mph.

They don't have speed signs on the railways, instead the expectation is that we memorize the location of them all before hand. It make sense in that since trains need much longer distances to slow down they warn you sufficiently ahead of time so that you'll be down to that speed before entering the lower speed zone.

Thanks for the info! I'd always been somewhat unclear on the advance vs actual speed change signs. Is there also a difference between the yellow and the white speed signs?

Thanks for the info! I'd always been somewhat unclear on the advance vs actual speed change signs. Is there also a difference between the yellow and the white speed signs?

No problem and yup there's a difference between them.
The white signs are the advances for PSO restrictions which are placed 2 miles(technically 3000 yards by rule, but usually its 2 miles) ahead of the restriction like the one seen above. Though really PSO might as well be zones of lower speed, since they are typically as permanent in nature.

The yellow signs are zone speed signs, which are a little more complicated. I wasn't completely correct when I said there aren't speed signs on railways. When there's an increase in zone speed the yellow sign with the higher speed is placed at the exact location where the zone speed increases. Which make sense since we can't start increasing our speed until our train is past that sign. The back of this sign has nothing on it, but the signs distinct shape and color denotes the location of where the zone speed would decrease for trains going in the opposite direction. Of course if you only start slowing down when you see the back of that sign then chances are your in serious trouble!

When there's a decrease in zone speed it's placed in the same way as the white advance PSO's signs, 2 miles before the restriction.

Importantly, and this is where the railroad differs most dramatically with roads, there are never any additional signs within a PSO's or a lower zone speed zone to remind one of the current maximum speed.

Indeed! It's surprising they'd start now though, rather than with GTS which is a much busier and faster line.

Yeah I never understood why they didn't use that option for GTS. One related story I heard was that the contractor suggested that MX authorize the construction of a concrete pad with concrete ties(as in the tunnels) by the UP high platforms. MX declined that option and as a result PNR would not certify that the tracks would not shift over time. Because of the minimal clearance between the train and the platform, there is permanent 10mph slow order for UP equipment passing them.

Yeah I never understood why they didn't use that option for GTS. One related story I heard was that the contractor suggested that MX authorize the construction of a concrete pad with concrete ties(as in the tunnels) by the UP high platforms. MX declined that option and as a result PNR would not certify that the tracks would not shift over time. Because of the minimal clearance between the train and the platform, there is permanent 10mph slow order for UP equipment passing them.

I've never heard such a story from any of my contacts at any of the consulting terms or PNR. Unfortunately, I suspect that the reason is somewhat less nefarious, and is two-fold.

Because of all of the construction on the line, there were lots and lots and lots of track shifts. And there were times when the single track that was in use would later become track 1, or 2, or 3. Why does this matter, you ask? Because it is much, much harder (and more time-consuming, and expensive) to upgrade existing tracks to concrete ties than it is to build them from scratch that way. Either you use a specialized machine (of which there are only about three or four of in North America) to replace stretches of track in an automated fashion; or you build a new track with concrete ties, remove the existing rail, ties and ballast, and install the new track using concrete ties. This is obviously a lot more time consuming, and considering how much of a deadline the line was up against I suspect that they were not willing to risk not having the infrastructure ready.

The other reason has to do with the various vibration-mitigation techniques used on the south end of the line. I don't know if many of the techniques they used (rubber underlay underneath the ties, primarily) are compatible with the much heavier deadweight of concrete tie track construction. I've certainly never heard of any that are successful - rather, it seems that it is preferred to use either double-ties as are used on the subway, or various floating methods of cast-in-place track.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dec 26
Hamilton CP Junction Expansion

The existing CN Bridge has been rebuilt with footing to go in for 2 more tracks to the north.
23369802384_546d26097d_b.jpg

23630165699_4b5c3560c6_b.jpg

23998050305_598b03b4df_b.jpg

23369807624_1ee4030755_b.jpg

23997879405_8b66c1ebbb_b.jpg

Back