News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Let's be clear....people were not bitching about....it was identified in the studies that ML commissioned....surely in the mandate for the study they would have included the operating environment that they anticipated using?

They did not. All the studies were done using the current rolling stock and fare structure/GO system. I kid you not.

The frustrating thing about those capital updates (as usual) is how they report activities without reporting on how those activities tie to the ultimate project goal.... or even whether they move each project closer to completion. They give no evidence that any progress is being made.

- Paul

The frustrating thing about those capital updates (as usual) is how they report activities without reporting on how those activities tie to the ultimate project goal.... or even whether they move each project closer to completion. They give no evidence that any progress is being made.

- Paul
The September 2017 Metrolinx board agenda is now posted for those interested.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/agendas/agendas_2017_06_28.aspx

The radio silence on kitchener is beyond maddening.

From the Business Plan

(in reference to K-W and the bypass)

In 2017-18, Metrolinx will continue negotiations with CN to progress from the agreement
-in-principle to a full agreement, initiate a public and stakeholder engagement process, continue
planning and design work to identify route alignment and address potential concerns, as well
as initiate an EA

Metrolinx is working to identify and evaluate potential route alignments, technical feasibility,
community impacts, cost, environmental impacts and regulatory requirements. The concept
initially includes two mainline tracks and up to a total of six tracks in the longer term, with
protection for stations and electrification for possible future passenger rail service in the longer
term

From the Business Plan

In 2017-18, Metrolinx will continue negotiations with CN to progress from the agreement
-in-principle to a full agreement, initiate a public and stakeholder engagement process, continue
planning and design work to identify route alignment and address potential concerns, as well
as initiate an EA

Metrolinx is working to identify and evaluate potential route alignments, technical feasibility,
community impacts, cost, environmental impacts and regulatory requirements. The concept
initially includes two mainline tracks and up to a total of six tracks in the longer term, with
protection for stations and electrification for possible future passenger rail service in the longer
term

Translation: We have given up on adding any new rail service until the bypass is built. All previous promises are cancelled with this new silence.

I was referring to the entire stretch from Bayview to Stuart (West Harbour), which is ready for track. The Hamilton to Confederation stretch needs the basic civil structural work completed (bridges, culverts, grading) but it is a more recent project so isnt as far along.

I'm sorry, but I'm not at my computer this week otherwise I would offer some pictures. Here's my sidewalk superintendant analysis.

Basically, the whole West Harbour- Bayview stretch is now graded and a certain amount of new track has been laid at the Hamilton end. The new interlocking at Stuart is installed and commissioned, but the tracks are not yet in the final configuration there. The new signals are erected but not wired or cut in, except at Stuart.

What would likely come next is to tackle the interlocking at Hamilton Jct, which needs to be extensively reconfigured to add a new track through it. This will require new crossovers as well as relocating the connections to the CP line. The Ham Jct/Desjardins interlocking is pretty complex and I would expect a whole new configuration with plenty of new switch panels, a new signal bungalow containing a whole new interlocking 'machine', and all new wiring throughout. Typically that kind of interlocking replacement takes blocks of concerted around the clock effort - often a long weekend or successive weekends are used - with the line possibly totally shut down for much of that work block.

Also, the section from Hamilton Jct to Bayview will have to be laid, and insert a couple crossovers and switches at the Bayview interlocking.... a whole second work block, I would expect.

Then there is a certain amount of track shifting to achieve the final configuration. And then the signals have to be wired, tested, and placed in service. And the track must be tamped and surfaced to allow full speed operation.

CN would need at minimum to supervise the work and in particular seems to like their own signals personnel to handle things. This would likely require a lot of weekend overtime for those people. They have their own projects - a lot of the older CTC has been replaced over the past few years. And they have been doing the GO extension up the Bala Sub. They may draw people from around Southern Ontario, but there are only so many hours in the work year.

My guess - It's likely not until 2018 that this kind of scheduling could be made to happen.

- Paul
Sounds like Hamilton all day is getting pushed back to 2020...

From the Business Plan

as initiate an EA

term
This seems like delay language imo
Translation: We have given up on adding any new rail service until the bypass is built. All previous promises are cancelled with this new silence.
Bingo!

"The concept initially includes two mainline tracks and up to a total of six tracks in the longer term, with protection for stations and electrification for possible future passenger rail service in the longer term"

For this quote about the bypass/Missing Link, why would CAN agree to that if they are trying to find/agree to a route that doesn't conflict or be constrained by GO trains? Or are they simply protecting the route for the very long term?

"The concept initially includes two mainline tracks and up to a total of six tracks in the longer term, with protection for stations and electrification for possible future passenger rail service in the longer term"

For this quote about the bypass/Missing Link, why would CAN agree to that if they are trying to find/agree to a route that doesn't conflict or be constrained by GO trains? Or are they simply protecting the route for the very long term?

It sounds like a plan for a no-conflict corridor.

2 dedicated tracks for CN
2 dedicated tracks for CP
2 dedicated tracks for GO

No one stepping on anyone else's feet.

But to be clear, the initial proposal only covers 2 CN tracks to get CN out of the way on the K-W corridor.

It sounds like a plan for a no-conflict corridor.

2 dedicated tracks for CN
2 dedicated tracks for CP
2 dedicated tracks for GO

No one stepping on anyone else's feet.

But to be clear, the initial proposal only covers 2 CN tracks to get CN out of the way on the K-W corridor.

2 for GO? Um, wasn't aware of it being a GO corridor. VIA maybe?

2 for GO? Um, wasn't aware of it being a GO corridor. VIA maybe?
You need to think outside the box long term and I have already call for GO service on the Halton Sub back in 2006 before the bypass surface. All rail corridor will be the backbone for transit and long over due.

Long term for the KW line will be 3/4 tracks if HSR use it.

Having 2 tracks for everyone is a must and I have been calling for it since 2002 starting with the upgrading of the then Georgetown Line from a single track to a double track during the EA that became 3 during construction.

Back