News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

expanded capacity and easier access to the second lot, currently passengers have to wait for the train to pull out of the station to access the lot. This would allow them to access it when the train is still in the station.

The northern section of the new Bloor Station platform is ready for the melting system to be install. New shelters are in place and have that sick lime colour on them including the GO logo.

Check your stations to see what colour the benches are inside the station as they are going lime colour also and saw this at Port Credit Station on Thursday. They may have even change the style of them also.

Seen a few GO vehicles and they have the lime logo as well.

Still, I don't think anyone would be shocked come 2024 to find that there's still work to do. These things always deliver late. If they are actually going ahead at that point, they've made progress.

Nothing changes ... if you dig back into the Toronto Star from about 100 years ago, there is an announcement by CP of what we now call the Milton Line being double tracked from Guelph Junction to Galt. Something we've talked about recently being necessary to extend the Milton line to Cambridge (Galt).
The Time frame calls for Milton to get underway in 2015 with full force come 2016 and be completed by 2021. This also includes a new fly under at Lambton. The corridor will be 4 tracks.

You could get away doubling track CP track from Milton to Cambridge, but need 3 tracks in a number of places for passing.

You forgot Preston alone with Galt.

Any corridor Metrolinx wants to run service in that is own by other RR, you are better off going 4 tracks from day one, as you are dealing with the mess and cost once, as well having provision for service needs down the road.

expanded capacity and easier access to the second lot, currently passengers have to wait for the train to pull out of the station to access the lot. This would allow them to access it when the train is still in the station.

Are there plans to double track this area in the future? There doesn't appear to be any provisions for that.

under the AD2W plan with hourly frequencies it would be single tracked north of Unionville as a train has enough time to get up to Mount Joy and turn around again before the next one goes up.

With anything more than hourly service it would need to be double tracked though, correct. When the contract was rewarded however GO was still planning (and for another week or two still is officially until the spring budget passes) for hourly diesel service, so it is designed for that.

I'm still not sure of the idea here. Are they planning on having the train open its doors on both sides? That's something that isn't done at any stop on the system outside of Union. Sure its doable, but it's going to add another minute or two to the station dwell time, which is just what we need, right. I wonder if people have noticed that station dwell times have increased lately across the systems. This is because the geniuses at GO &/or B have determined that it actually takes about 2 dozen steps to properly open/close the doors and put down a ramp. :rolleyes:

Markham in particular was noted for excessively long station dwell times. They figured this was the easiest and quickest way to solve that - by having a second platform to the north of the tracks and thus the first six cars will have both sets of doors open.

That wouldn't have been the way that I would have done it, but what do I know - I don't work there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Markham in particular was noted for excessively long station dwell times. They figured this was the easiest and quickest way to solve that - by having a second platform to the north of the tracks and thus the first six cars will have both sets of doors open.

That wouldn't have been the way that I would have done it, but what do I know - I don't work there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Any idea why Markham in particular would have excessively long dwell times?

It would be against the law for Bruce McCuaig to talk about the feasibility of electrification during the election campaign. Government employees are placed on legally-enforced gag-orders during elections. This is an anti-corruption safeguard; otherwise the incumbent could boost their own platform or attack an opponent's platform by getting public employees to tailor announcements.

I don't work for the province, but my mother does--she's a regional manager of children's mental health programs for the Ministry of Children and Youth Services. She managed to line up a new outpatient clinic at the end of May, but was barred from announcing it to the community because of the election campaign.

It would be against the law for Bruce McCuaig to talk about the feasibility of electrification during the election campaign. Government employees are placed on legally-enforced gag-orders during elections. This is an anti-corruption safeguard; otherwise the incumbent could boost their own platform or attack an opponent's platform by getting public employees to tailor announcements.

I don't work for the province, but my mother does--she's a regional manager of children's mental health programs for the Ministry of Children and Youth Services. She managed to line up a new outpatient clinic at the end of May, but was barred from announcing it to the community because of the election campaign.

Murray made the "electrified in 10 years with 15 minute RER on all lines" announcement 2 weeks before the budget so about 17 days before the election writ was dropped. Remarkable that Bruce McGuaig never responded at all to the announcement during those days and certainly didn't tell us then that this was not possible.

There weren't enough details about Murray's announcement to comment on it before the budget was out. And the budget was out only a day before the election campaign started.

There weren't enough details about Murray's announcement to comment on it before the budget was out. And the budget was out only a day before the election campaign started.

There were precisely the same amount of details then as there are now. In fact, when it was announced by Murray and Wynne on April 17.....the premier said that Metrolinx was committed to the 10 year timeframe. The fact that right after the election Metrolinx is saying the 10 year time frame is not feasible makes you wonder why he/they bit their tongues when the announcement was made.

Last edited:
It would be against the law for Bruce McCuaig to talk about the feasibility of electrification during the election campaign.
I don't think it's against the law; if so what Act/Regulation governs this? It's certainly a bad idea, against tradition, and possibly a violation of an employment contract.

I can't imagine anyone would ever be charged for such a thing. Fired perhaps ... but you don't have to break the law to be fired at that level!

Go to election that quickly by the Liberals was genius and an advantage for them, as they never tabled any of the legislation, etc., and whatever might still be buried in there. And they didn't go through weeks of the NDP and PC attacking the budget, without having to defend their own plan.

Horwath really screwed up by rejecting the budget out-of-hand so quickly. Had she played a bit more hard to get, and then pulled the plug, they'd have more time to trash the Liberal budget, and also put together their own plan.

Last edited:

Back