News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This is one of the coach shop storage tracks. This track in particular is mainly for cars queued for repair.
Odd. Wonder what could need repairing since afaik the car hasn't been used on any in service trains.

How often does Alstom clean the locomotives? The MP40's seem to generate a lot of soot/ residue from the exhaust. Leaves an unsightly streak that runs down the front of the locomotive. I'm assuming this is caused when the locomotives are pushing the train and the crew is in the cab car.
I've seen it get worst than the picture I provided.

GoTrainSoot.jpg

How often does Alstom clean the locomotives? The MP40's seem to generate a lot of soot/ residue from the exhaust. Leaves an unsightly streak that runs down the front of the locomotive. I'm assuming this is caused when the locomotives are pushing the train and the crew is in the cab car.

View attachment 536698
Most of the MP40s seem to be fairly sooty nowadays.

I don't remember it being this bad of a problem though in the past, since COVID I'd say the units have become more dirty.

View attachment 536698
It depends on the trainset's cycle - each train ends up at either Willowbrook or Whitby at worst every 3 days, and so they would get washed at that time.

Part of the issue is in the design of the wash rack itself. There is a single horizontal roller that starts towards the bottom and gets pushed upwards as the train enters the rack, and then there are a pair of vertically-mounted rollers that overlap the middle of the carbody that also get pushed outwards as the train progresses. That means that the front-bottom of the loco and cabcar have 2 or 3 scrub cycles, as do the upper corners of the carbody - but the center top and sides only have one cycle. Soot doesn't normally accumulate on the sides of the cars but it does on the top.

Dan

I would bet that isn't pure soot, either.... with the throttle duty cycle being start-stop-start-stop, the GO engines will experience more turbo lag cycles and thus more bursts of especially oily exhaust - harder to scrub than just carbon.

- Paul

Speaking of, wonder if/when we'll see the MP40s receive refurbishment. The first 27 or so are approaching the 20 year mark soon, so I feel refurbishment may be on the way soon.

Speaking of, wonder if/when we'll see the MP40s receive refurbishment. The first 27 or so are approaching the 20 year mark soon, so I feel refurbishment may be on the way soon.
They're not looking to do any big wholesale rebuild such as what the TTC does. And it's been going on for quite some time now, although it's happening as units have major failures or are due for major servicing.

One easy way to tell is that all of the older units are getting upgraded with the Tier III exhaust silencers.

Dan

I’ve heard that the engine fleet as a whole is much more unreliable than we might think, which is a possible reason why they’re tendering 50 new engines with the plans to replace a chunk of the existing fleet. If this is the case it explains a lot because GO won’t need 140 diesel engines after GO Expansion

I’ve heard that the engine fleet as a whole is much more unreliable than we might think, which is a possible reason why they’re tendering 50 new engines with the plans to replace a chunk of the existing fleet. If this is the case it explains a lot because GO won’t need 140 diesel engines after GO Expansion
Why would GO need fewer locomotives after GO expansion? Wouldn't they need more?

I’m hearing reliability with the existing diesels is a massive issue too.

Why would GO need fewer locomotives after GO expansion? Wouldn't they need more?
They’re electrifying the network so they need fewer diesel locos as OP said.

I’m hearing reliability with the existing diesels is a massive issue too.

They’re electrifying the network so they need fewer diesel locos as OP said.
Fewer by only a couple, the existing diesel fleet could stick around in its entirety as spares and to sustain the non-electrified parts of the network, but there’s definitely no need to expand the diesel fleet.

When we say “the existing diesels are unreliable” are the 710-DC ones the problem, or the newer QSK60-AC ones? Or is there a common issue in the control and/or electrical systems?

The 710s being a problem, you could write off as down to age or whatever. The Cummins stuff being off would be disastrous. But as the HSP46 and F125 showed, or even GO647, locomotives aren’t simple to make…

When we say “the existing diesels are unreliable” are the 710-DC ones the problem, or the newer QSK60-AC ones? Or is there a common issue in the control and/or electrical systems?

The 710s being a problem, you could write off as down to age or whatever. The Cummins stuff being off would be disastrous. But as the HSP46 and F125 showed, or even GO647, locomotives aren’t simple to make…
All I’ve heard is that the entire fleet is experiencing reliability issues, and there’s more out of service engines right now then what’s acceptable, not just the F59’s or the older engines.

However just make note that this has all come down from the grapevine, so wether it’s true is entirely up to debate, I just thought it would be important to say here

Back