News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I’ve heard that the engine fleet as a whole is much more unreliable than we might think, which is a possible reason why they’re tendering 50 new engines with the plans to replace a chunk of the existing fleet. If this is the case it explains a lot because GO won’t need 140 diesel engines after GO Expansion
Are you saying this current order will replace some of the current locomotives?

I don't think electrification is going to happen as soon as a lot of you guys think it will.
What matters is not when electrification is completed, what matters is when the first segment enters service. After that point new motive power purchases can be entirely electric for the forseeable future, with the new electric locomotives and EMUs gradually replacing old MP40s and F59s as the reach of electrification expands. I don't think we'd need to puchase any new diesel power until the diesel locomotives currently on order reach end of life.

Based on recent announcements by Metrolinx, it sounds like they're prioritizing electrification of Lakeshore East and West, with the remainder of lines on the backburner for the moment.

Are you saying this current order will replace some of the current locomotives?
That’s what’s been suggested to me, but as I said before never fully trust what you hear from the grapevine, anything could change at any time and information might get mixed as it’s passed down from person to person.

Based on recent announcements by Metrolinx, it sounds like they're prioritizing electrification of Lakeshore East and West, with the remainder of lines on the backburner for the moment.
The Lakeshore Lines have always been the prime candidate for electrification. I wouldn't say the other lines are on the backburner, rather that ONxpress can only mobilize so many resources at once to do electrification work. It makes sense to focus on a line (or a pair of lines) at a time, and do the work more focused and efficiently. Just like everything with GO Expansion, phasing is key for the delivery.

An interesting and large (180 trains) SNCF tender is underway.

The first tender covers 30 trains equipped to take traction current at 1.5kV dc and 25kV ac, and capable of operating at up to 160km/h in electric mode. They must also be capable of operating in hydrogen mode at up to 140km/h, with a minimum range of 600km.
The second framework contract is for 150 trains with the same capacity, train length and overhead supply voltages, but equipped with battery power for operation at up to 140km/h and with a range of at least 100km.

Options here include extended battery range of up to 200km or a biofuel-powered diesel engine compliant with Euro V emissions standards.

Seems relevant to GOs future options for non-electrified corridors. Despite the mix of technologies, 180 trains doesn't feel like an experimental order.

The Lakeshore Lines have always been the prime candidate for electrification. I wouldn't say the other lines are on the backburner, rather that ONxpress can only mobilize so many resources at once to do electrification work. It makes sense to focus on a line (or a pair of lines) at a time, and do the work more focused and efficiently. Just like everything with GO Expansion, phasing is key for the delivery.

I assume you just have an issue with my wording because what I meant is exactly what you describe here. Like I said, they are prioritizing electrification of Lakeshore because it makes sense to focus on getting at least one line up and running with electric power as quickly as practical so they can stop buying diesel trains that they know they won't need during later stages of GO Expansion. The other lines are "on the backburner" in the sense that they are resources are not devoted to them during the first phase for electification. Once Lakeshore is well on track to be electrified from Oshawa to Burlington, I'm sure the Kitchener line to Bramalea/Pearson and Stouffville Line to Unionville/Stouffville won't be too far behind.

I assume you just have an issue with my wording because what I meant is exactly what you describe here. Like I said, they are prioritizing electrification of Lakeshore because it makes sense to focus on getting at least one line up and running with electric power as quickly as practical so they can stop buying diesel trains that they know they won't need during later stages of GO Expansion. The other lines are "on the backburner" in the sense that they are resources are not devoted to them during the first phase for electification. Once Lakeshore is well on track to be electrified from Oshawa to Burlington, I'm sure the Kitchener line to Bramalea/Pearson and Stouffville Line to Unionville/Stouffville won't be too far behind.
Yes

Agree on the above. Neither of us like the way Mx has handled the 'early works'. They don't seem to be able, as an organization to think in logical, complete thoughts.

ie. we must complete these 3 things on line C in order to enact 'this' level of service.

Instead, deciding to do 2 things on line C, 1 at pace, 1 slowly, and then do the same on 2 other lines. Such that none see service upgrades to where we would like in a timely fashion.

Well......

We know Mx had plans for 11 daily trains per direction on the Milton corridor, and it is not tied up with any major works, and they are not running 11 trains daily.

So..... while I agree that some of the work is a barrier to next-level service; and some is even a barrier to pre-pandemic service (see joint corridor works with the Ontario Line) there is certainly some space on some corridors for greater service now.

I didn't say you were mean spirited, and I don't think I would ever attribute that to you; but I might say I think the statement is simply a bit much; that there is a bit more room for nuance than you implied.
Did you take into consideration that track slots are not the only factor in adding trains? Equipment availability, crews, maintenance cycling all are factors as well.

Back