News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Latest update on getting more coaches.

This order as well the remaining 63 cars are to be completed in 2020. Only adding 3 more trains for the system and mostly be used on runs outside the electrification area. This will only support less than 50% of the current work force in Thunder Bay in 2020 and after the last TTC car leaves the plant this year.

There been talk that Metrolinx logo on equipment was going to be black in place of white and have seen it on some coaches so far.

Was On Union Platform today and saw 5 new loco's with 4 having a white logo at the rear on the bottom. The 5th through me as it was one number less than the loco on front of it and it had had a black logo across the center of the 2 rear panel doors.

670 & 675 MU in white, 673 by itself in white, 678 on point with white logo and 677 mu to 678 had back. Was 677 a Ginny Pig for the black logo. If I recall, other higher number locos have white logo that I have seen so far.

I also noticed that the Stouffville Train become a Mount Joy Train and The Mount Joy becomes a Stouffville train after a crew change and layover. First time seeing this for me.

The black works.
48095083856_64ab67c194_b.jpg

48095083256_1b248fccef_b.jpg

48095184592_e00ffc80ed_b.jpg

48095082701_d8c70e8d05_b.jpg

48095185102_f1ce9dcfa4_b.jpg

48095082031_cd7555a1fa_b.jpg

It still boggles my mind why we need all these bilevels if OnCorr will involve procurement of new fleet. Yes, I've heard the bilevels as a supplemental fleet argument, but we'll have quite a lot of them.

It still boggles my mind why we need all these bilevels if OnCorr will involve procurement of new fleet. Yes, I've heard the bilevels as a supplemental fleet argument, but we'll have quite a lot of them.

Electrification is still a bit away unfortunately, and some of the older bilevels are nearing EOL. Ontop of that, bilevels are one of the most used traincars in north america that re-selling them when we get Electrified trains will be easy peasy.

There's nothing requiring OnCorr vendor to purchase a new fleet of passenger cars.

A pair of 4000HP electric locomotives on a 12 car train would accelerate fast enough to knock standing passengers over.

Last edited:
Electrification is still a bit away unfortunately, and some of the older bilevels are nearing EOL. Ontop of that, bilevels are one of the most used traincars in north america that re-selling them when we get Electrified trains will be easy peasy.

I found this part interesting. I assume this would help with maintenance and trouble shooting compared to the older bilevels.

The new cars include Bombardier's Orbita system that will allow Metrolinx staff to see real-time performance data and pinpoint issues relating to things like doors, the HVAC system, and electrical equipment, to give commuters a better, safer journey.

There's nothing requiring OnCorr vendor to purchase a new fleet of passenger cars.

A pair of 4000HP electric locomotives on a 12 car train would accelerate fast enough to knock standing passengers over.

Would most likely be split up into 4 and 6 car trains.

The new stations (Liberty, Spadina, Lansdowne, etc) wont have platforms long enough for 12 car trains.

It's very well designed for 1970s equipment. It's our DC-3 or Boeing 737. Very old airframes that kept being manufactured for decades.

Resale value is very good for Bombardier BiLevels, they deprecate very slowly.

It's very well designed for 1970s equipment. It's our DC-3 or Boeing 737. Very old airframes that kept being manufactured for decades.

Resale value is very good for Bombardier BiLevels, they deprecate very slowly.
I will say the opposite due to safety requirement and the move to CEM. Having seen BBD cars in Orlando and Minneapolis, the ridership is not there for the equipment they have now.

Minneapolis only use 3 coaches and a cab car and our car was 98% empty. Orlando is 2/3 coaches and a cab car. With the extension now open, maybe more riders will use the line.

Since BBD is operating and maintain the fleet, this system may grab a few cars.

BBD cars went to Metrolink LA and Metrolink only want CEM equipment now,. Don't see any cars going there unless they are brought up to CEM standards. The old cab cars will see the scrap yard sooner than later.

I will say the opposite due to safety requirement and the move to CEM. Having seen BBD cars in Orlando and Minneapolis, the ridership is not there for the equipment they have now.

Minneapolis only use 3 coaches and a cab car and our car was 98% empty. Orlando is 2/3 coaches and a cab car. With the extension now open, maybe more riders will use the line.

Since BBD is operating and maintain the fleet, this system may grab a few cars.

BBD cars went to Metrolink LA and Metrolink only want CEM equipment now,. Don't see any cars going there unless they are brought up to CEM standards. The old cab cars will see the scrap yard sooner than later.
How much does it cost to convert to cem standards and is it even feasible?? Seems likely that 75% of the fleet may end up in the scrap yard

Back