News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Would most likely be split up into 4 and 6 car trains.

The new stations (Liberty, Spadina, Lansdowne, etc) wont have platforms long enough for 12 car trains.

Lake Shore will probably be staying 12-car for at least part of the day. It would be very hard to convert the peak AM 6 minute frequencies with 12-car trains into 6-car trains and double rush capacity over 30 years. They'd be down to 90 second intervals in 2050 and probably still running with 3 crew on each train (which is unnecessarily expensive).

Despite 4 tracks on Lake Shore, the number of platforms at Union will require combining multiple lines to a single set of platforms; so combined intervals are somewhat significant.

Last edited:
How much does it cost to convert to cem standards and is it even feasible?? Seems likely that 75% of the fleet may end up in the scrap yard
Best to ask Dan, as I have no knowledge on it. I am assuming it better to buy new than rebuilt based on age alone. Then I saw locomotives from the 50's and 60's in fresh paint in BNSF yard still in service. Even a few Great Northern power.

How much does it cost to convert to cem standards and is it even feasible?? Seems likely that 75% of the fleet may end up in the scrap yard

Certain aspects of the CEM system - pushback couplers, for instance - can be retrofitted into older equipment at a cost.

But considering that the structure of the modern car itself is designed with structural fuses and energy absorption properties, no, you can't convert the old cars to the current standard.

Dan

I noticed when shooting the Regional Transit Hub on Jan 30 that there were 2 GO coaches sitting on Obico Sub very south of the main line. Looks like I fail to shoot them after shooting the Hub.

1581544003859.png

Are they still operating the T4 Diesels in pairs? Weren't they having a bunch of issues with them?

The only issues that they are having with them at this point are in the fine-tuning of the software running them. They have been fairly reliable for the past many months, but they want them to be able to improve the fuel economy even more than they have been able to thus far.

Also in the Feb 5 Town Hall Verster mentions more likely any more Diesel Locos would be leased rather than purchased outright.

Yeah......not going to happen. There is no lease or rental market for passenger diesels in North America. There is barely even a second-hand market for passenger diesels.

Unless he is thinking about what is frequently done with freight diesels, where the new loco is purchased by a third-party and then leased back to the railroad for a fixed term. In which case.....I have my doubts.

Dan

Back