News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Is the hard 90 degree turn in the tracks leading to the station necessary?
I'm not that familiar with the area but from maps it looks like an existing ROW. Seeing as it would be a stub service, track speed approaching the station would be slow anyway.

I'm not that familiar with the area but from maps it looks like an existing ROW. Seeing as it would be a stub service, track speed approaching the station would be slow anyway.
Yes, this is part of CN's Galt Spur, which connects from the main Fergus Spur to connect to industrial operations south of Pinebush Road (though there aren't many left). See here for more info: https://metroscapes.ca/kwc/projects/railways/#fergus-galt-spurs

That segment is also going to double as the corridor for the future ION LRT extension into Cambridge from it's current south terminus in Kitchener. I don't know if they'd propose parallel track of sharing like they do with Waterloo Central Railway.

So currently the Furgus spur is 10 mph rule 105 track, the proposed pinebush go station sits on the Galt spur. This has some 5mph track on it. The distance between Pinebush GO and Guelph Central is approximately 11.5 miles (18.5 km), which at current speeds would take about 1hr 10 minutes between stations.
With the 15-16 minutes advertised it would be an average speed of 43-46 mph (70-74 km/hr) which would probably mean zone speeds between 50 to 60 mph. (80-97km/hr)

Kitchener to Guelph is 13.9 miles and is scheduled at 22 minutes, (2 minutes less than the 10 mph downtown guelph days) metrolinx padded that schedule so much and I know they can do it in 16 minutes. Cause let's be real 37 mph (60 km/hr) is very generous. VIAs more realistic 20 minutes has an average speed of 42 mph or 70 km/hr). Knowing that info its entirety possible they upgrade to 70 mph (110 km/hr) for the Furgus spur (by then Subdivision)

So currently the Furgus spur is 10 mph rule 105 track, the proposed pinebush go station sits on the Galt spur. This has some 5mph track on it. The distance between Pinebush GO and Guelph Central is approximately 11.5 miles (18.5 km), which at current speeds would take about 1hr 10 minutes between stations.
With the 15-16 minutes advertised it would be an average speed of 43-46 mph (70-74 km/hr) which would probably mean zone speeds between 50 to 60 mph. (80-97km/hr)

Kitchener to Guelph is 13.9 miles and is scheduled at 22 minutes, (2 minutes less than the 10 mph downtown guelph days) metrolinx padded that schedule so much and I know they can do it in 16 minutes. Cause let's be real 37 mph (60 km/hr) is very generous. VIAs more realistic 20 minutes has an average speed of 42 mph or 70 km/hr). Knowing that info its entirety possible they upgrade to 70 mph (110 km/hr) for the Furgus spur (by then Subdivision)
Sounds like the cost will be for upgrading the tracks/ties/roadbed as well as a new station.

This Fergus Sub service which is supposed to be 2/hour - is this meant to be a shuttle or a direct service? It doesn’t seem like there is any room at Guelph to add a turnback track. On the other hand, is sending mainline GO trains down the Fergus the best use of slots west of Georgetown, having to move on and off the mainline while also passing through a yard?

This Fergus Sub service which is supposed to be 2/hour - is this meant to be a shuttle or a direct service? It doesn’t seem like there is any room at Guelph to add a turnback track. On the other hand, is sending mainline GO trains down the Fergus the best use of slots west of Georgetown, having to move on and off the mainline while also passing through a yard?

Really, I think a rail shuttle with an easy Guelph transfer makes the most sense. This would be a perfect line for a Stadler FLIRT.

Could they add more service such that trains either go to Kitchener or Cambridge?

Could they add more service such that trains either go to Kitchener or Cambridge?

Only if they build enough capacity over the CN line between Georgetown and Bramalea. They seem to have enough trouble getting CN moving on building for Kitchener alone.

$400M just to build a DMU shuttle seems a bit unrealistic when a bus service might work as well or better. The service plan is structured to 2WAD as opposed to peak commuter. I suspect commuters will still just drive to Milton or Bramalea.

- Paul

Only if they build enough capacity over the CN line between Georgetown and Bramalea. They seem to have enough trouble getting CN moving on building for Kitchener alone.

$400M just to build a DMU shuttle seems a bit unrealistic when a bus service might work as well or better. The service plan is structured to 2WAD as opposed to peak commuter. I suspect commuters will still just drive to Milton or Bramalea.

- Paul
Sounds like we will need to wait to see what the service plan is to find out how they will incorporate it.

- Paul
I understand the value of a rail link - people far prefer rail to bus. BUT if we are spending $440m to $550m on a DMU shuttle we should have better service than hourly or half hourly. Run it every 15 mins, to capture the ridership market of people travelling from Cambridge to Guelph, not just those continuing onto Union.

I understand the value of a rail link - people far prefer rail to bus. BUT if we are spending $440m to $550m on a DMU shuttle we should have better service than hourly or half hourly. Run it every 15 mins, to capture the ridership market of people travelling from Cambridge to Guelph, not just those continuing onto Union.

Nowhere does it say it will be a shuttle. It is a study to see what is needed.

Reactions: BMO

Nowhere does it say it will be a shuttle. It is a study to see what is needed.
This report is informing this process, linked on the web page, where a shuttle is outlined. We will see what this new IBC process outlines.

- Paul

This has been a (justified) sentiment for a while now. All of this study on a rail link, but we need to just run a damn bus pronto. The popularity of Route 17 should be a prime example of how pent up demand is.

Back