News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

The question to be asked of Metrolinx management is - what is the scope and plan to downsize Metrolinx after the transfer of people and functions to Onxpress?

I have seen the outsourcing game played before in crown corporations - the party line will be that ML is now a "smart buyer" and needs just as many people to manage the relationship with Onxpress. One would hope that Queens Park isn't buying that.

One would expect that a Metrolinx with no direct operating accountability needs far fewer people to perform its residual functions.

- Paul
Don't forget that while OnXpress is taking over the rail operations, the bus operations are going no where - for now.

Yes, there may be some headcount reduction, but a large part of the organization is dedicated to making sure that the buses run everyday, and they aren't going anywhere.

Dan

Don't forget that while OnXpress is taking over the rail operations, the bus operations are going no where - for now.

Yes, there may be some headcount reduction, but a large part of the organization is dedicated to making sure that the buses run everyday, and they aren't going anywhere.

That's fair, and I don't have any accurate data on the ML org chart or how much of the organization is affected by losing the rail functions. So it's hard to say how much of a hit the ML orgainization is taking through Onxpress.
However, the management take on this is a pretty good test of whether ML sees itself as a government bureaucracy or as a business organization. Any market-based bottom-line-focussed organization that drops a product line (or subcontracts it out) will be making reductions immediately. A public sector bureaucracy will fight to retain head count - size is power.

- Paul

Heads up for anyone in Hamilton, there is a William White film crew in and around the station today. My train was filmed coming in, and there were holiday garland-type decorations on the edge of the canopy of the northern platform.

Heads up for anyone in Hamilton, there is a William White film crew in and around the station today. My train was filmed coming in, and there were holiday garland-type decorations on the edge of the canopy of the northern platform.

They are filming a hallmark movie.

Hmmm.

I spoke to a CSA not that long ago who suggested there were a large number of service increases pending..........and that about 100 CSAs are currently idle.

Could be that increase will come later.........but he seemed to suggest the current job board had lots of additional trips.........

I've been trying to get additional detail, but w/o luck.
They are hiring 2 more classes as well, plus running another engineer and conductor class... I expect probably increases in January

As a European, the thing which surprises me about transfers such as are occurring now is the ONXpress doesn’t simply inherit Alstom’s workforce under what in the UK is called TUPE. I guess it’s not quite the same here.

That was my first impression. I didn't want to believe it.
Christmas movies are really big business these days. There's a great podcast on this I listened to from November 2022 with an executive from Lifetime.
They note across all networks in North America there's now more than 100 original Christmas movies made every year, not repeats or remakes, but brand new ones.
And a lot of them are made right here in the GTAH.

(starts with a commercial you can skip over)

Last edited:
Christmas movies are really big business these days. There's a great podcast on this I listened to from November 2022 with an executive from Lifetime.
They note across all networks in North America there's now more than 100 original Christmas movies made every year, not repeats or remakes, but brand new ones.

They were filming a Hallmark christmas movie in my office building a few weeks ago. Could even be the same one but there's no way to know since the Hallmark Christmas movies are all the same

I had no idea podcasts could be linked on UrbanToronto, you learn something new every day

They follow a formulaic script and are dirt cheap to make.

Has this become the Hallmark/Christmas movie thread? I get tangents...........but this one has little connection to the thread's core subject matter. Perhaps we could get back on the proverbial track here?

Last edited:
I really wish my favourite fake hallmark Christmas movie: Missile Tow starring Liam Neeson finally gets made.

Back