News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Martinsizon,

I'm kidding about the competition. It's a free country... I can't stop you from learning Sketchup, can I?

Your screenshot of the model is too small for me to tell exactly what you need to get rid of. Perhaps you're using a lot of photo textures on your model (on the clock tower, for example)? Maybe your trees are too detailed? If you're desperate to upload, perhaps you should just upload City Hall without the square in front. I can't say exactly how to cut down on the model size but still make the model look nice.

For reference, my model of Mississauga City Hall is 617 kb (model file only).

By the way, thanks for those screenshots of Toronto from Google Earth. I've never viewed all the Toronto models in GE at the same time!

^it looks like on your model many of the windows are uneven (a problem I also always have). How do you make them even? Otherwise the model looks very nice.

A lot of people have been asking me for this one...

Trump International Hotel and Tower

tru.jpg

How about one that you'd like to see built in the city. Great work btw.

Martinsizon,

Nice model, and although the scale is a bit off, I like the detail that you have put into it.

Now that I see the model more clearly, I can give you some tips on what to remove. First, I think you should get rid of the trees in the square. They are too detailed and I think that is one reason why your file size is too big. Delete them and put in the simple 3D trees that you can find in the "landscape architecture" folder in Components (downloadable from the Sketchup website... you can check out my city hall models to see what they look like).

Next, try deleting lines and shapes that don't really affect the look of the model. For example the lines on the shaft of the clock tower, or cutting down the details on the clock face and the south facade, or removing some windows, etc.

Degnaw,

You mean your windows turn out unevenly spaced? Have you tried the array tool? (part of the Move/Copy tool)

Some screenshots with Trump included:

GoogleEarthModels21.jpg

Including MLS(You can see the impact MLS will make):
GoogleEarthModels20.jpg

GoogleEarthModels18.jpg

Including MLS:
GoogleEarthModels19.jpg

GoogleEarthModels22.jpg

BA beside Trump:
GoogleEarthModels17.jpg

GoogleEarthModels16.jpg

^You're welcome. Nice first start on 3D Warehouse. Since I don't know much about towers in Mississauga, so I probably won't do any more Mississauga buildings. I'd like to see you model all of Mississauga City Centre! :)

I changed the location and orientation of the Trump tower slightly. The original model looked like it was built onto half of Bay Street, and the angle of the base is slightly off of street grid. I've done my best to fix the problem, but the tower still seems slightly off-angle from the street.

Great work. The models have just enough detail to really visualize how these projects will fit into the existing city. Projects like RBC and MLSE really will have a big impact visually. Conversely BA is much smaller and will be much less noticable then I had expected.

Sapphire Tower

Even though this design probably will never get built, it's nice to use this model to see how the downtown skyline might look if Sapphire was built like this.

Of course, special thanks are in order to Cassiusa, whose Sapphire renderings are now distributed all over the Internet. I referenced the renderings when making this model.

sap.jpg

I have made yet another revision to the Trump Tower, shortening the height of the building by about 20 ft to its "real" height of 1066 ft. Without the height revision Trump would look a lot taller than Sapphire.

Height revision made to Bay Adelaide... now it is 715 ft tall. Thanks to cdl for reminding me to make the height revision!

Back