News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The "outer ring" line actually accomplishes quite a bit by connecting MCC, Pearson, the three southern York Region centres, all seven GO lines (this is exciting!), Line 1 twice, eventually the Ontario line, Seaton, Ajax, and Oshawa.

Like @innsertnamehere mentioned, somewhat underwhelmed by the rail part of the 2051 plan as it's just including all the proposed lines and sticking 2051 on the map. And @Northern Light has done a good job of what should be added to the 2051 plan. That said, the full plan will be released later this year. Hopefully, we can see more on the map at that time. Would suggest doing the survey to tell them yourselves.

1625019256192.png

However, my favourite part about the plan is that every urban area in the Golden Horseshoe will have 10-minute bus service. That is incredibly huge and this would help increase transit usage in urban areas that have infrequent bus services. Also helps to have a 10 min network of cities and towns that have GO RER serving them. Frequent feeder buses serving GO Stations would do wonders for the RER system.

Attachments

• 1625019256069.png
    1625019256069.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 158
Like @innsertnamehere mentioned, somewhat underwhelmed by the rail part of the 2051 plan as it's just including all the proposed lines and sticking 2051 on the map. And @Northern Light has done a good job of what should be added to the 2051 plan. That said, the full plan will be released later this year. Hopefully, we can see more on the map at that time. Would suggest doing the survey to tell them yourselves.

View attachment 331208

However, my favourite part about the plan is that every urban area in the Golden Horseshoe will have 10-minute bus service. That is incredibly huge and this would help increase transit usage in urban areas that have infrequent bus services. Also helps to have a 10 min network of cities and towns that have GO RER serving them. Frequent feeder buses serving GO Stations would do wonders for the RER system.

Agreed.

I will be submitting comments.

Also, projects need to have timelines.

Maps should not be fantasies, but clear plans with timelines.

EA will start: x
Preliminary Design will start: y
Construction will begin: z
Line open for service by: (pick a year or a population target, but don't miss)

The "Ontario Line Loop" is very challenging to make out. It seems to not be quite a complete loop, running from Kipling north to Pearson, up along the Highway 7 corridor to the 404, then down along Don Mills to the existing Ontario Line. A new transit line is shown running from Port Credit to Exhibition along Lake Shore, but it's not clear if this would be the Ontario Line or Waterfront West. There appears to be a gap between Bloor and Lakeshore though, with no new transit corridor illustrated.
Scrutinizing it, it seems to me it is OL being extended along Lake Shore, and north to RH. I don't see a dashed purple line continuously from Ex to Pearson. It would, however, be kind of absurd for Mississauga's subway connection to Toronto to be at Port Credit. I wouldn't hold my breath on OL being extended westward, though.

I guess Sheppard West is not happening, either!

I have to admit - on closer reading I'm pretty underwhelmed by the transit portion of the plan.

I do like the idea of managed lanes (including truck-only lanes) and tolling highways. Less so the expansions.

Scrutinizing it, it seems to me it is OL being extended along Lake Shore, and north to RH. I don't see a dashed purple line continuously from Ex to Pearson. It would, however, be kind of absurd for Mississauga's subway connection to Toronto to be at Port Credit. I wouldn't hold my breath on OL being extended westward, though.

I guess Sheppard West is not happening, either!
I honestly doubt that that's the direction OL will be heading westward, and it seems more to me that the purple dashed line is referencing Waterfront West LRT. It just seems odd to me that they would prolong the Ontario Line basically along Lakeshore West, a line that is quad tracked and could easily use some infill stations with stronger divided express/local services. Considering they call OL a "loop", part of me is hoping that this is just a draft, and they're waiting for some feedback before they finalize what the Ontario Line will do after Kipling. I do have to admit though that the options after Kipling is sort of limited, and that area is pretty well served by other transit modes so your options are quite limited in terms of an alignment that doesn't trample over an existing service.

The "outer ring" line actually accomplishes quite a bit by connecting MCC, Pearson, the three southern York Region centres, all seven GO lines (this is exciting!), Line 1 twice, eventually the Ontario line, Seaton, Ajax, and Oshawa.
The way I read the map, the yellow dots on that line are Hurontario/Eglinton (north of 403) and... Maybe Erindale GO? So not quite MCC, in either case. MCC needs a proper regional rail connection, not merely to be ringfenced by them.

Looking at highway infrastructure plans:

Holy managed lanes batman! Interesting to see them on the municipally owned Gardiner and DVP - I wonder if MTO is expecting those to be conversions or widenings. They would obviously have to be conversions on some parts (namely the Gardiner through downtown), but widenings are possible on the DVP and etobicoke portions of the Gardiner, if unlikely. I would be supportive of conversions here, especially closer to downtown. The DVP could use with some geometry improvements that would really improve capacity without a new lane necessarily, and even a new HOV lane could probably be accommodated north of Eglinton fairly easily.

This is the first I've ever seen of MTO contemplating widening the 401 through central Toronto, on this map from the 427 to the 404. Now that would be an interesting project, with quite the price tag. I feel like it would be very politically challenging too, depending on proposed scope (just a new HOV? or more than that?). I would be supportive of adding perhaps 2 HOT lanes in each direction being added in a "hyper express" pattern. I expect tolls would basically be required to pay for the thing.

surprised to see the 404 extension all the way to Highway 12. Not necessary in my opinion, at most it's only needed to make the connection to Highway 48, and you can otherwise probably be fine with 4-laning 48 without the full freeway buildout.

a couple of gaps on the wider outer rim highway infrastructure - including the planned RIRO to Lindsay and upgrading Highway 11 from Orillia to Barrie. Highway 11 especially is probably going to need that work on the plan's horizon period, but 35 might be able to get away with a few passing lanes. Highway 12 near Beaverton is also needed and not shown, despite Highway 9 being shown as widened.

Your post is reminding me of a plan from...6-7yrs back(?). Not sure if it was from MTO or GTAA, but it was effectively a 401 bypass in the area east of Pearson. Like adjacent to 401 but separated. Does anyone remember this? Could these 'managed lanes' be an expansion of such a thing?

On the transit front. It''s easy to see now that roads are filling up again, but Toronto needs a blanket LRT solution. Sure it could be BRT. And not saying no subways. This would be on top of subways. But the major corridors are at-capacity for hours and an electric train bypassing the crunches is needed on many corridors. Current plans going forward are insufficient.

LRT has its place, but it's not clear to me that it is the solution to the regions' ills. They are only good for fairly short to medium trips. We need better regional connectivity. We're not going to solve that problem well with an average speed of 29 kph.

LRT has its place, but it's not clear to me that it is the solution to the regions' ills. They are only good for fairly short to medium trips. We need better regional connectivity. We're not going to solve that problem well with an average speed of 29 kph.

You said it yourself, it's good for short to medium trips. The LRV takes people to other, more regional modes. Much in the way the buses I alluded to do. But faster, smoother, and higher capacity.

I'm inclined to invest those dollars in better regional rail and consider LRT as feeders when passenger demand warrants it. Buses are more flexible and in some circumstances faster. Bus feeder routes are wildly successful in Toronto.

Yes feeder routes are wildly successful in TO. So much so that upgrades are needed to continue that success going forward. Otherwise there will be a bit of a plateau or diminished returns when attempting to maintain mode share percentages when our pop. and ridership doubles.

If passenger demand is the make or break then there'd likely be zero LRT in the 905. How many corridor in the 416 are completely neglected by the province yet carry more than sauga or Hamilton's LRT? What is 'warranted' and what isn't?

Your post is reminding me of a plan from...6-7yrs back(?). Not sure if it was from MTO or GTAA, but it was effectively a 401 bypass in the area east of Pearson. Like adjacent to 401 but separated. Does anyone remember this? Could these 'managed lanes' be an expansion of such a thing?

On the transit front. It''s easy to see now that roads are filling up again, but Toronto needs a blanket LRT solution. Sure it could be BRT. And not saying no subways. This would be on top of subways. But the major corridors are at-capacity for hours and an electric train bypassing the crunches is needed on many corridors. Current plans going forward are insufficient.
The priority should be on better longer distance lines, not short distance LRTs, and stuff like the Ontario Line Loop and Burlington-Oshawa Line seem to be doing just that. If anything I want more light metro lines an top of those 2.

Back