News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good... so we can assume that this rendering is now inaccurate:

HakimOptical-July24,06(1).jpg

This rendering incorporates the side of the old building:

MissionPress1.jpg

the building is demolished I think..

Since the building is demolished as there been a change in planning to what to build there?

My point exactly. The structure that was there is now demolished so the plan that incorporates it into a new building has to have changed.

I didn't mind the design though. Hopefully something quite tall can go there since across the street (former Hakim site) we'll continue to see the densification of the area towards 500ft + structures started off by Pantages.

Who says they can't build this proposal with the wall incorporated into it? Just because it was taken down does not mean it is forever gone and a new design will ensue. Look at all the other buildings with the old facades being incorporated into the new design.

Er...but you're talking about frontal show facades. We're here talking about an anonymous side wall. Why on earth would anyone want to resurrect *that*?

Um... the entire building hasnt been demolished. The sides are both still up. I walk by it almost every day.

Um... the entire building hasnt been demolished. The sides are both still up. I walk by it almost every day.

Sad to say that Tuscani is quite right. They have removed the top floor of the sides and have carefully propped up the remaining basement and first floor wall - very distressing indeed.

Is there a reason--like, saving on property taxes?

Reminds me a little of how older rear walls can be spotted behind Holt Renfrew on Bloor...

I assumed that 'they' were keeping the lower parts of the old east and west (and south?) walls so that this whole project was classified as a 'renovation' rather than new construction and they could avoid getting new permits/zoning but it really does seem crazy. It's not as though the walls are old or historic - I'd say 1950s!

I assumed that 'they' were keeping the lower parts of the old east and west (and south?) walls so that this whole project was classified as a 'renovation' rather than new construction and they could avoid getting new permits/zoning but it really does seem crazy. It's not as though the walls are old or historic - I'd say 1950s!

The 1950s are history, but this wall doesn't seem very significant.

I've also never heard of Paul Didur Architects. They must be small if a Google search doesn't reveal their website.

Help them grow (if you like pukish architecture)

http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=2389778_Paul_Didur_Architects_Etobicoke_ON

Paul Didur Architects
2242 Lake Shore Blvd W
Etobicoke ON, M8V 1A5

Phone: 416-928-1041
Fax: 416-928-1051

Approximately three employees work at this location
Sales: $500,000 - $1 Million

Products and Services
Architects
Architectural Services

Edit: Just found a handy website for those looking for/interested in architects, contractors etc: http://www.tabct.com/?page=architects&catid=1

What up with this project as it been dead in the water for many months?

Is City going to buy this land to allow for an expansion of their place as well sub lease some of the extra space to generate income?

Back