News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"The whole East end of the square is an abomination right now. "

I don't find it that bad - sure it lacks 'quality' (i.e. materials)and 'sophistication' (i.e. interactive displays) but that almost always develops over time for what it is

I think I may have overstated my case here, but only in what I guess is a futile effort to describe a somewhat intangible quality that I feel contributes to making a good city great.

I do not have a problem with review panels and city initiatives. On the contrary, not only do I think that they are steps in the right direction, but that they can actually be critical, providing they have teeth and substance and are not there merely for propoganda or other purely political aims. Isn't that fair to say? Also, I do think that Toronto is awakening to the sorts of issues I've described as being more important in other places, but we're just not quite there yet. In the meantime, I think it is helpful to look at what works elsewhere, to the extent that many of what we might consider great cities may have certain underlaying traits in common.

"if Hakim goes for a really high end design by say Jean Nouvel, would the business be able to support the cost of the design? And if it is able to do so, what kind of surcharge would they have to go for in order to pay for it? The city can mandate competent design, but not superior design."

I'm talking about a phenomenon whereby If the public were demonstrably outraged enough by an offending building proposal, the negative PR may be strong enough a consideration to make it a good business decision to either change the design or relocate to a less contentious site. In other words, I am agreeing with you that the city cannot legislate taste and quality, but public opinion can sometimes wield power to mandate better quality and more appropriate design. The private and public sectors will take heed once they realize that the public cares and is paying attention. We have had notable examples of this in Toronto, such as with the proposed ROM condo. We just need this sort of passion about our city to be more consistent and more comprehensive.

^ Yes, but it's building, however slowly. Say what you will about his writing (and sometimes I have), but the effect of Christopher Hume grading and slamming mediocre condo architecture week after week has an effect. But it's slow to build.

Oh, incidentally, there's ugly, tacky, cheesy spec architecture around Times Square, too. And if that's slowly being planned/rationalized away, a counter-view might claim that to be just more Giuliani-spirit sterilization...

Between the Cement and Corrugated Aluminum Torch and the Metropolis which will look like the back of a computer plastered with advertisements the Hakim plain reflective glass office building will look like an oasis.

I agree Sir Novelty. Torontonians now seem less concerned about growing bigger, and more concerned with how we are growing.

After Hakim, I think Pizza Pizza should build a flagship Pizza Pizza pizza joint, with orange and white tiles and everything. At least there will not be as much exposed concrete.

By #4 Times Square nassauone is referring to this building:

4Tsq2.jpg

It is one of the greenest skyscrapers in North America-possibly the greenest- designe by KPF-the same architects who are building the new Ritz tower..

p5

It looks rather Tokyo up top. It may be green, but it doesn't strike me as particularly attractive.

It's the Conde Nast building. The prettiness is all inside.

That's not too attractive, but it's still better than where it is now!

unimaginative:

At least we'd be getting blue titanium for our AGO as well. No word on curved glass yet.

AoD

think of the wonders that a screen like that would have done for the torch.

Back