News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"think of the wonders that a screen like that would have done for the torch."

the city probably wouldn't allow it

"think of the wonders that a screen like that would have done for the torch."

the city probably wouldn't allow it..

...the screen would have cost more than the budget.

p5

^

Their "revised" budget. Pen Equity cut the budget just before construction commenced. Cheapskates.

yes, XM has a building at avenue/davenport
And Sirius Satellite Radio Canada has just moved from the Toronto Star building to Liberty Village.

MTV Canada is in the former CTV building on Yonge Street

CTV SHOULD have their headquarters downtown and D-Square would be ideal. Can you imagine CBS offices in New Jersey?

I find the CFTO newscast to be so suburban and dated...and yet it is the most popular in Toronto.

MTV Canada is in the "current" CTV building at Yonge & Davenport as CTV owns MTV Canada. The building however has been better known as "The Concert Hall" or "The Masonic Temple."

I don't think Torch is anywhere near big enough for CTV's H.Q., but there's certainly room for some studios and perhaps CFTO's news division. They could conceivably even take that building next door (where Hakim is supposedly going).

CFTO (now CTV Toronto) has been the #1 TV newscast in Toronto since the early 1970s I believe. They've always been suburban in nature and this made sense for them as Toronto was becoming more suburban in nature during those years. Recently though, there seems to be a slightly new focus on covering downtown as well (which is probably reflected in CityNew's falling ratings). Also Global Ontario has rencently all but forgotten they are an "Ontario Newscast" and basically just covers Toronto and the G.T.A. (also with a newer focus on the downtown).

MSNBC has their studios in New Jersey, don't they?

Thing is, the benefit of a downtown studio like this is leveraging the views as a backdrop for your broadcasts. The Torch kind of stinks that way, because on the ground floor, you're looking at the back of the concert stage. And on the upper floors, you're looking across Dundas Square (which, much as I love it, isn't teriffically photogenic, with its loose furniature and collection of layabouts) - right at the giant distracting ads on the Eaton Centre.

No TV station is going there so nobody hold their breath. And the above post is right: its not a great location for a backdrop anyhow.

It's going ahead - this is what Greenspoon is up to - interior demolition and prep work for the additional floors. I was told 6 floors.

The Hakim conversion of the Mission Press Building, the original topic of this thread.

The Hakim conversion of the Mission Press Building, the original topic of this thread.

I guess now that Toronto Life Square is almost open the City can start focusing on 277 Victoria /current Hakim building...I assume retail / restaurant uses at the ground floor (of Mission Press).

This is not the city. This is Pen Equity. The city has little or nothing to do with any of these buildings.

To clarify...

City plans on selling 277 Victoria when Metropolis (TLS) is complete, along with the ajoining Hakim Opital building ( current)

and.....

Pen Equity is handling the restoration of the Mission Press building on Dundas

Back