News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that there needs to be an EA to narrow Queen's Quay. A traffic study and a final design consultation should be the only things required for something like this.

EAs should be reserved for new projects or significant expansions of existing infrastructure. Queen's Quay should have been exempt.

Agreed. The 3 levels of government who signed onto the Waterfront revitalization should have made exceptions for the EA process on many items including this one. That would have been a BIG, non-financial contribution to the Redevelopment scheme.

I am really interested to see how the John Street Slip is treated. This is the slip which goes under Queens Quay and into the "courtyard" of an apartment building on the north side. Something should be done there to link it with the other slips, but it would have to be treated somewhat differently given it's unique circumstances.

Wow, I had no idea that the waterfront planning was really this far along. I haven't really looked into in depth until this week and I'm floored about what appears to be a very ambitious vision for the future. Lets hope it gets delivered.

Its also very exciting to see all of the changes starting to come, in a couple years well see some pretty big changes. I think the price of my Malibu condo is going through the roof!

Thanks 42.

Has anybody had a chance to go down to Spadina? I wonder what they're up to in that frozen water. I can't wait to see the decking to begin building!

I pass the site almost daily. It is boarded up so you cant see much... but... there are several tall metal "poles" swaying in the water. There is a pile driver on site. Likely, they are still just drilling support beam holes in the ground under the slip. I dont expect to see much activity in terms of above ground construction until the spring.

Thanks for that achender. Looks like the pile driver has done its job. This is what I love about West8's winning proposal. These things can be put up very quickly.

The ends of slips, the bridges and the boardwalks are pretty much like pre-built IKEA chairs. Take them home (to the waterfront) and assemble on site.

I don't think they'll have a hard time getting their vision built by 2010 as expected.

Waterfront Revitalization

It's nice to see so many aware of what's going on down on the waterfront. A point of clarification though on who won the competition and is designing the new elements: West 8 is an equal partner with a Toronto design firm, du Toit Allsopp Hillier. We should be glad that a local firm is highly involved with this project, grounding it in what Toronto wants for its waterfront.

Main construction is to start next week. The slip is plan to be finish and open by the end of June.

Design work is underway for the bridge at the water edge

The Jarvis slip is to unveil in two weeks.

More photos from the illustrious Current. From Jan. 11.

2185864727_9a1e05e754_b.jpg

2186724612_e30e8313cf_b.jpg

2186724624_f30972d661_b.jpg

The head of slip is such a simple little idea, but adds so much to finishing off what right now looks quite bare and boring for our water's edge. I cant wait to see these completed, along with the new pedestrian/bicycle paths.

Do we know if Waterfrontoronto still plans on adding biofilters to the slips? I believe that was part of the West8 plan - natural biotic filters in each of the slips, so that the water would be clearer, and underwater lighting could be intalled.

Jdot:

Do we know if Waterfrontoronto still plans on adding biofilters to the slips? I believe that was part of the West8 plan - natural biotic filters in each of the slips, so that the water would be clearer, and underwater lighting could be intalled.

The latest plan indicate some kind of aquatic habitat on the lakebed. No info on night lighting though.

AoD

Back