News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Re: the crane,

It sure is interesting to see them adopt new solutions for simple problems. They needed a crane out there, so the put it on a barge. Simple.

I like that...:D

I'm really looking forward to going down to this in the summer and checking it out!

As for the night lighting effects, every nighttime render I've seen has had lights around the slips. I really do hope they do that, because it would look so awesome.

Under-slip lighting really is needed to make these wavy additions to our waterfront something really beautiful. I am looking forward to this first step in the WEST8/DTAH design for our waterfront.

When is Spadina Head of Slip expected to be completed/ opened to the public?

I passed by during the week. Nothing seems to be done above water level. Hopefully with better weather coming, we'll see the deck begin to emerge.

Moving Forward very quickly.

I look over look the site almost daily coming off the Gardiner Expressway. Steady work has been taking place above water for while as they are pile driving in the supports for the bridge.

I'm very impressed with WaterfronToronto, as we confidently say that we are far beyond the very easy "fantasy renderings stage". The other day I found renderings dated 1999, of what was then the proposed plan for the waterfront, very much tied for Toronto's 2008 Olympic Bid. We have come quite a long way!

For an organization less than 7 years old (launched in 2001), they have successfully secured political and financial support from all levels of government, created a whole new agency from scratch, has effectively engaged citizens and has captured their imagination, created an inspiring and exciting master plan for every district, hired some of the world's best landscape architects and is now well underway with constrction of several major projects.

Kudos to them for finally getting real work on waterfront underway!

Louroz

The PDF is nice, but it would have been better if they had included some descriptions of what is being done/completed/accomplished.

Nonetheless, it seems as though things are moving along, but I sincerely hope they refrain from the 'naming rights' bullshit. That would honestly make me lose all faith in what I believe is a pretty credible board.

p5

I could just imagine the huge uproar if they tried to rename Queens Quay for some corporate sponser. Also, it doesnt look like the crane is there anymore - I havent seen it in a couple days. The one thing I have noticed is the huge amount of logs / sticks / plywood floating into Maple Leaf Quay since they started construction on the spadina slip.

I could just imagine the huge uproar if they tried to rename Queens Quay for some corporate sponser.

Which is exactly what Waterfront Toronto is hoping to cause by musing about branding/sponsorship for public spaces. Waterfront Toronto is using this tactic as a political hot potato to shore up more cash and awknowledgement from a federal government. The federal government has committed very little cash and even less attention/recognition to this three-government project that could transform the face of Toronto.

This is a classic political move that can be filed under the heading "an oldie but a goodie." I very much doubt the day will come when Burger King Quay or Play-doo Park will line our waterfront. But without political moves like this one will probably won't ever see the sustained funding to keep up with any new lakefront park or transform Queens Quay into a beautiful, green street.

The steel underbelly of the slip is starting to take shape. The "wave" is visible in the steel trusses (sp?) and it looks like it's in good shape to be done on time. Considering it only took a couple days to go from nothing to what's there now, they're making good pace. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I walk by.

That's true. I was there last week and all I saw were pillars sticking out of the water and freshly removed concrete molds. That steel work went up pretty fast.

Back