News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Took a late-night walk along the central waterfront last night. The Simcoe and Spadina Wavedecks were still wet from the rain earlier in the day and, I kid you not, they smelled delicious; a mix of sweet and smokey. I suggest everyone pay them a visit after a fresh rainfall. You won't regret it.

On a a negative side-note, seems we're running into the same issues of maintenance at the water's edge as in the rest of the city: uncut grass, dying trees, and as many burnt-out lights as working ones along the four year-old boardwalk and in brand-new HtO. Also, a huge number of streetlights downtown are burnt-out, plunging whole areas into near darkness, one being the bottom of University Ave at York. What gives?

Last edited:
Took a late-night walk along the central waterfront last night. The Simcoe and Spadina Wavedecks were still wet from the rain earlier in the day and, I kid you not, they smelled delicious; a mix of sweet and smokey. I suggest everyone pay them a visit after a fresh rainfall. You won't regret it.

On a a negative side-note, seems we're running into the same issues of maintenance at the water's edge as in the rest of the city: uncut grass, dying trees, and as many burnt-out lights as working ones along the four year-old boardwalk and in brand-new HtO. Also, a huge number of streetlights downtown are burnt-out, plunging whole areas into near darkness, one being the bottom of University Ave at York. What gives?

The grass and trees are probably a problem due to the strike. If it goes beyond that contact your City Councilor or his/her assistant and they will either look after it for you or put you in touch with the right department. Kyle Rae's office had a dozen dead/damaged trees replaced on Wellesley Street in about a week after I reported them in mid-May.

Toronto Hydro is really dropping the ball on street lights. In May of 2008 I reported something like 98 street lights out in my neighbourhood (Jarvis - Bay, Bloor - Carlton and yes, I covered each and every street in between). It was a huge job trying to get "pole numbers" off the light standards in the darkness (many don't even have them) and getting street addresses that are close to the pole when the pole number is absent. There were something like 40-50 street lights out on Wellesley Street alone between Jarvis and Queens Park Cres. E. I filled out a web form, one by one, and then followed up for two months until they were all looked after. On top of that I also reported lights out in parks around where I live which of course is looked after by a different department. So that you folks don't think I'm a total nut-job, I did this by "zig-zagging" each street on my bike over two nights with a flashlight and took three pages of notes because I take long walks with my dog on these streets later at night so I want (and expect) them to be as safe and as well lit as possible. In the summer my dog can't take long walks when it's hot during the day but being a Labrador Retriever, she must be well exercised so we do our long walks at night when it's cooler.

So here's what you, and anyone else can do. Get the pole number or nearest street address closest to the pole with the burned out light, fill out the web form (url below) and expect a follow-up call from Toronto Hydro by phone in a few days. If you miss their call, return the call with the details that they are following up on. They say it takes about 10 days, so keep an eye on them and follow up by phone if they're not looked after within a couple of weeks. If you have to follow up a third time by phone speak to the supervisor (it took me two months to learn that one last summer!) and he/she will get the job done.

This spring I found about a dozen lights out in my neighbourhood and did the same thing as the previous year. Since then I've reported two or three lights on separate occasions as I notice them and everything is fine except the parks. One night I have to walk them and take notes, I've noticed a few lights out here and there.

Toronto Streetlight Service Request - http://www.torontohydroenergy.com/street_form.asp

For lighting problems in City of Toronto Public Parks you have to email or phone them with specific details as to where the problems are - accesstoronto@toronto.ca or call 416-338-0338. I suggest emailing first, but I like paper trails. These lights are looked after by an electrician (I've spoken with him), I don't know if he is affected by the strike or not.

Edit: I just learned that Park lighting is not being dealt with due to the strike however Toronto Hydro Lights are being addressed as per normal.

Last edited:
The word is that Ress may open July 15 with the official opening Aug 8.

I understand some of my video's are now link to Waterfront site.

Plans were shown tonight as to what the Parliament deck may look like. Too flat and needs more benches.

Highlight as to what the water edge may look like for the East Bay were presented tonight as well.

I like the bench that will sit people at different levels, but to be more different style. I said how about adding a wave to these benches.

IMG_july-08-09-0041.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0039.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0038.jpg

Last edited:
Those plans are pretty amazing, especially (for me) the more detailed renderings of the Parliament Wavedeck. Fascinating.

just wondering, will the west 8 + dtah promenade replace what's already built on john and york quay? it seems like only a few years ago that that was built. five maybe? how far east and west will the promenade extend?

Looks good. I also like the bench and wave deck but I just wish the wave deck would cascade down to the water, so you could actually touch it, or launch a canoe in it. It would also make the wave deck look more interesting. It's too flat in those renderings.

As Archivist stated, the deck sure is "fascinating". I love those "organic" elements protruding up through the large deck, providing some visual interruptions. It is unique and will certainly draw interest.

mettle:

Most likely not - redoing that stretch is currently identified as low priority by WT. The current plan as it stands right now goes from Jarvis slip to Parliament slip. That said, things may change when the Lower Yonge precinct plan comes out.

AoD

Wow! I love the stone maple leaf boardwalk. Those Toronto boardwalk loung chairs are awesome too!
And the hot tubs!! Wow that would be sweet!!

I love the Parliament wavedeck. I don't think it's too flat at all. There is another wavedeck after this one (I forget which), and it is very rippled from what I remember. Water is sometimes very calm and the wavedecks should also resemble that.

I am liking this project more and more. Now, lets bring on those big trees already!

For those who were not present last night,

The stone pavers that will be used are being tested at a 'secret' space on the waterfront. They are testing different colours and shades and the mosaic pattern at this location.

Alklay, the trees will not be big. They will start off like most trees do in the city. The reason given was that large trees are too hard to transplant. The root structure is often damaged and the tree will not survive. Waterfront Toronto is looking for trees that will be big enough to give the feel you get from the renderings (not blocking sight lines), but young enough that they will survive after being planted.

I had no doubt that we were not going to get fully mature (and very very expensive) trees.

It is quite amazing how Toronto landscaping, planners and architects really had very little use for trees in all their various plans for the waterfront (and certainly not to the extent of the West 8 plan). Its such a simple way to add beauty and warmth to an area, yet our planners and designers (in almost all areas of the city) never seemed to grasp this.

(rant over. sorry)

Back