News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

OMG i'm just in love with all this project, I think is just wonderful! It's amazing how this city is changing every year and IMO the quality of the projects and their designs improving. I can't wait to see all this finished :D

Fantastic plans, and I am sorry I missed the presentation- would have been great to see and hear them talk about the details in person. I think that everything in this plan needs to be done- essentially, they need to keep going at this rate and get all the wave decks completed and the promenades, where possible and the rest can follow.

On another interesting note - in one of the renderings showing a view west down Queen's Quay, West 8 have shown the streetcar running on tracks which are embedded in grass. If this happens it will look great - yes, I know winter has the tendency to turn grass brown, but the effect of having streetcars running on grass during warmer months is just brilliant - not to mention reducing the constant dull grey of our concrete sidewalks and blackish asphalt will help immensely. It is quite common in Holland, and many other EU cities (some of which even get snow! so you know it'll work, right?

p5

Streetcars on grass is very nice to see :)

And I really like the Parliament wavedeck as well :)

The plan is amazing. Cobblestone granite moisacs of maple leaves are absolutely stunning. Once complete, it will out the Bloor sidewalk to shame! The benches are also great!
Parliament wavedeck is so cool! I don't think it's too calm at all, look at those towers!
It's also nice to see more aquatic habitat, I just hope it doesn't all die out because of pollution in the lake.
All in all I can't wait!
The only thing in the entire West8/DTAH plan that I'm not really sure is a great idea would be the bridges over the slips. I mean they are a great idea, but will boats be able to fit underneath? Especially the ones with sails.

The only thing in the entire West8/DTAH plan that I'm not really sure is a great idea would be the bridges over the slips. I mean they are a great idea, but will boats be able to fit underneath? Especially the ones with sails.

The plan calls for finger piers along the entire waterfront edge that should reduce the need for large boats to dock in the slips. The design team is working with boat clubs to design the docks in a way that best suits their needs.

Awesome stuff! quick question to those who where at the presentation.. how did the public react? I really hope there was a lot of enthusiasm and positive energy in the room... what were your impressions of their impressions?

Awesome stuff! quick question to those who where at the presentation.. how did the public react? I really hope there was a lot of enthusiasm and positive energy in the room... what were your impressions of their impressions?

General consensus was that the plans were great, and long overdue. There were some comments that made my skin crawl (ie. why plant trees? Toronto is not cottage country, we don't need trees), but for the most part, everyone was happy with the plans.

There were some comments that made my skin crawl (ie. why plant trees? Toronto is not cottage country, we don't need trees), but for the most part, everyone was happy with the plans.

Probably the same morons who don't want 10% of their precious western view blocked by a foot-bridge at the Spadina slip.

Loved the plans, but that hot tub thing will never happen in Conservative Toronto (although I really hope I'm wrong) - too much energy wasted plus possibility for people injuring themselves when they get out. People have even started complaining about the slips and how some are too curvy and dangerous - as if everyone needs to be so mollycoddled.

Is there an expected completion date for the entire thing (just the public park/boardwalk aspect - not the condos)? Are we looking at something stupid like 15 years (this could be done in 3 if we had the balls - come on PanAm Games!!)?

July 12

Ress is ready to open as it 100% complete.
IMG_july-12-09-0095.jpg

IMG_july-12-09-0094.jpg

IMG_july-12-09-0093.jpg

IMG_july-12-09-0092.jpg

So they did leave that gap in there for launching canoes. I'm afraid it won't be useful for mounting kayak's though.

Waves of differing opinions
Depending on who you talk to, new Harbourfront structure is either 'crap' or 'spectacular'

To a family of American tourists, it's one of the most interesting and exciting structures they've seen in Toronto.

But to others, including safety advocates, the $6-million WaveDeck at the foot of Simcoe St. is a dangerous hazard and blatant waste of money.

"Architecturally it has a lot of value, but from a safety perspective there's a whole series of injuries that could occur," said Brian Patterson, president of the Ontario Safety League.

Patterson was referring to the unconventionally sloping boardwalk that opened last month along the downtown waterfront, one of four at a total cost of $14 million.

Called the Simcoe WaveDeck, the 650-square-metre wooden walkway has earned its share of detractors and supporters -- but few who see the dramatic structure come away with nothing to say about it.

In fact, Patterson is calling on the city to shut down the WaveDeck. That's how "significant" the safety risks are, he said.

"It's confusing that the same people who paid for this are the same ones who are going to pay the liabilities," Patterson said, envisioning lawsuits from injuries.

More.............http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/07/12/10104246-sun.html

They act as if the city wouldn't have run this by their lawyers before going ahead with it. I doubt the city has anything to worry about.

Back