2521659564_5b8c780e35_b.jpg

2520838355_ac2757dcf8_b.jpg

2520842231_f00fc4892a_b.jpg

2520844681_5ee22819bb_b.jpg

2521670168_4fc18c31d0_b.jpg

2521671622_c79ac88fdf_b.jpg

2520854313_3569a01b77_b.jpg

2520847079_f3a53a58cf_b.jpg

The sail-like element on Harbour View Estates' rooftops is a nice effect in creating a slightly nautical theme with this waterfront redevelopment and Spadina Head of Slip. :)

(refer to last picture posted above)

As far as I can see the wood is NOT in the water but rests on a metal framework - similar to what they did on the section of Harbourfront further east. Any wood will doubtless rot eventually, and metal will rust away but .....

If the wood has been pressure treated properly it should have a life expectancy of at least 35 years.

Well it looks like a section on the left is in the water or just touching it. Of course it's hard to tell though. Although the lake levels do rise and lower so i'm sure the wood will be getting wet at times.
I guess they can just replace any rotted pieces in 35 years though :p

I was down there today and watched them install the smaller individual deck boards that run perpendicular to the large beams. They were going at it pretty fast and efficiently. I stood there for under 10 minutes and they lined up at least 1/4 of the length of one row. If that doesn't make much sense, just take my word for it: if they kept up the pace that I saw them installing deck boards at in just 10 minutes, and if they were there the whole day, the deck will have been finished at least 3 of the 8 rows by the end of the day and finished installing the whole deck by the end of the week.

There is still much work to do such as pouring the sidewalk and rigging up the underbelly lights and fish habitat but it looks like this is definitely headed for a June opening.

While this is looking nice, I went back and looked at the original design, and I must say that I'm a little disappointed:

A10.jpg

The original sloped dow near the water. The intention is to allow easy access to the water at every slip – where today, along most of the waterfront, the only way to touch the water is to jump in from a height of at least a few feet.

What is being built actually slopes up, not down. The steps in the deck face the street which means that if you're sitting on the steps, your back is facing the water... Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I was looking forward to coming down here and dunking my feet in the water on a hot summer day. Part of the plan includes a fish habitat under each of these to biologically purify the water at the heads of slip.

Night view:
A13.jpg

Simcoe Slip:
A12.jpg

I hope they don't dumb that one down. It's quite nice and adds a little bit of artistic flare to the currently drab and flat waterfront.

^^^ I find that when you see the slip in person it is more like the rendering then the pictures may show.

^^^ I find that when you see the slip in person it is more like the rendering then the pictures may show.

I agree. Even if you look at the left side of some of the pics, you can see it does start below grade.

The spirit of the original design remains which is what matters. You can't honestly believe that they would stick to the exact conceptual curve profile? You can blame codes etc. for being heavy handed but who then do you suppose should foot the bill should some jerk fall and seek damages?

Back