News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

^ Ok, I sort of take that back. I biked down there just now and in person, it makes sense. That is one very steep hill. You'll definitely come down running.

... but I can't get over how much the wood has aged on the Spadina deck. It looks like it's been there for 50 years.

I sort of understand that the rails are to deter people from going up the highest wave deck ... but if you stepped over the rail and climbed up that 'wave', when you come back down that low rail for sure will prove to be a hazard to trip people over (insert injury claims here)

I'm assuming they included those lower rails to prevent bikes and skateboards from taking advantage of the hills, but I question the aesthetic value and safety that is lost in exchange.

Will skateboarders even see those rails as a barrier? They look pretty low.

I think it ruins the aesthetic fluency of the wave deck. At least they can be ignored from afar.

Actually, I like the rails. I'm looking at them as a design element though rather than as an afterthought:

IMG_june-08-09-0053.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0056.JPG

I'm pretty cynical when it comes to development and aesthetics in hogtown but these decks are pretty hot!

Skateboarders will see the rails as an opportunity, but the gaps in the deck may be too much of a hindrance. BMXers on the other hand...

There's no way you could skateboard across this thing.

Also, are all those boats going to be still docking there? I've spent some time on the Spadina deck a few times now, and what's really attractive about it is sitting facing the water and the island across from you (i like watching the planes come in, too, but i know that's not for everyone). It's quite easy to forget all the chaos going on right behind you. I walked by this newer deck the other week, and thought "i don't know if i want to stare at a bunch of boats."

Boats enjoy a long and intimate history with the water... but you're suggesting we should just empty this slip of them so that you can look straight across to the islands without impediments? Shall we put you in charge of dealing with the boat owners, to get them alternative accommodations for their watercraft? Hopefully these people don't have contracts for keeping their boats there, so you won't be liable for compensating them...

Or why not just walk to the end of the slip for your view?

Boats add to the colour of the waterfront scene. Why would anybody want them gone?

I don't mind the boats int he slip. I think it's just a bit too full of boats. They are too close to the wavedeck also.

Boats enjoy a long and intimate history with the water... but you're suggesting we should just empty this slip of them so that you can look straight across to the islands without impediments?

Woah, woah, woah. I suggested nothing of the sort. I just said it would look nicer without them, but I know it ain't gonna happen.

Obviously I didn't explain myself very well.

EDIT: Come to think of it, once the south lanes are closed to traffic, it may be just as nice to face the city while on these decks.

Last edited:

Back