News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Toronto's liberalism (my point of view, so no criticism thx)

San Fran > Seattle/Portland/Vancouver > NYC = Toronto > Beantown (Boston) > Austin > Chicago > ... > ATL > Dallas/Houston > Salt Lake City (I just added it because of the Mormon "capital") > PHX (most suburban-minded).

Do you really think New York City is as liberal as Toronto? And I would believe the West coast is incredibly liberal, but California recently voted to re-ban gay marriage.

Do you really think New York City is as liberal as Toronto? And I would believe the West coast is incredibly liberal, but California recently voted to re-ban gay marriage.

Yes, but there was a massive propaganda effort aimed at non-liberal demographics (hispanic catholic and african-american christian). Even still, it didn't pass very securely and will likely get overturned the next time around.

As such, can you really compare all of California to Toronto? I often wonder just how open-minded Ontario or Canada in general really is, whether it is endemic apathy that facilitates a liberal and seemingly tolerant perspective. In other words Canadians may not be all that liberal at all but just can't be bothered to do anything about it, or care to???

Last edited:
Yes, but there was a massive propaganda effort aimed at non-liberal demographics (hispanic catholic and african-american christian). Even still, it didn't pass very securely and will likely get overturned the next time around.
So basically you are blaming it on "money and the ethnic vote"?

I am always very proud to be living in a city that I have always perceived to be very liberal-- Toronto. What a strength is it that our population is so accepting... look at what an openly gay city it is. This is important to me.

In terms of Liberal as in the political party, Toronto is a very high proportion Liberal, no? I don't recall the numbers from the last election.

I don't know how your amorphous 'ethnic group' votes or what that is in fact?
I would have hoped that the use of quotes, and the very recognizable quote from Jacques Parizeau's infamous 1995 comments after losing the referendum would have made it clear that I was making a joke!

In terms of Liberal as in the political party, Toronto is a very high proportion Liberal, no? I don't recall the numbers from the last election.
Speaking of my own riding in Cabbagetown (Toronto-Centre Rosedale), it's been solidly Liberal since 1993. In the last 42 elections or bi-elections in this riding, the Liberals have won more than 50%. Of the 20 elections or bi-elections since the end of the Second World War the Liberals have won 15. Nowadays, my neighbours joke that Hitler himself could win in this riding as long as he ran as a Liberal.

Well, Hitler was a leftist, wasn't he? He would be a good fit for the Liberal Party.

Toronto is very liberal, but make no mistake, it is nothing compared to what goes on in Madrid and Spain in general.

Spain was one of the first countries in the world to legalize gay marriage, and currently gays have the right to adopt, well basically, they have the exact same rights as heteros.
Madrid is the most accepting and liberal city I have ever been in; eat your heart out Amsterdam. I remember when I first got here walking on one of the main streets of the city and seeing gay couples everywhere, holding hands, kissing, and nobody gave them an odd look! This was quite a walk from the gay district too. As I spent more time here, I noticed it was everywhere in the city. My straight Spanish friends (and Erasmus exchange students from all over Europe as well) love going to the gay clubs here, even if they're straight. They aren't afraid of being there, they don't feel awkward, in fact for some they like it more than straight clubs (the music being far superior, clearly).

If we're looking at this from a gay perspective, Madrid is the most liberal city in the universe. Spain however, still has not legalized abortion. I find that very strange for a country so liberal in everything else.

Well, Hitler was a leftist, wasn't he? He would be a good fit for the Liberal Party.
Was that a joke? If so I didn't get it. Hitler was of course a right-wing extremist ... and not in the way that we tend to hurl this incorrectly at the Conservative Party. Hitler would fit well into the British National Party ... I can't think of a Canadian party that is even comparable.

Toronto is very liberal, but make no mistake, it is nothing compared to what goes on in Madrid and Spain in general.

Spain was one of the first countries in the world to legalize gay marriage, and currently gays have the right to adopt, well basically, they have the exact same rights as heteros.
Madrid is the most accepting and liberal city I have ever been in; eat your heart out Amsterdam. I remember when I first got here walking on one of the main streets of the city and seeing gay couples everywhere, holding hands, kissing, and nobody gave them an odd look! This was quite a walk from the gay district too. As I spent more time here, I noticed it was everywhere in the city. My straight Spanish friends (and Erasmus exchange students from all over Europe as well) love going to the gay clubs here, even if they're straight. They aren't afraid of being there, they don't feel awkward, in fact for some they like it more than straight clubs (the music being far superior, clearly).

If we're looking at this from a gay perspective, Madrid is the most liberal city in the universe. Spain however, still has not legalized abortion. I find that very strange for a country so liberal in everything else.

What about polygamy? Is that liberal too? (elsewhere it is mentioned 'illegal', with the exception of Mid-East nations)

Back