News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Sooo,

The General Government agenda for July 10th is up.

On said agenda is a report on amending the contract for the work at this intersection.....

An extra $500,000 and change to be awarded to this fine, upstanding business to fix damage they caused, LOL.........

Before we get to that............this is the first time I realized who the contractor was...........SANSCON!

Yes, they of the Wellington fiasco and so much more are once again found working on a project with interminable delays.

Don't get me wrong, hydro and TTC doubtless helped contribute to the issues here.........but there is no mistaking the link between this contractor and an abysmally slow work-rate.

Your report is here:

From said report:

1688142553628.png

1688142631769.png

1688142667336.png

Last edited:
Sooo,

The General Government agenda for July 10th is up.

On said agenda is a report on amending the contract for the work at this intersection.....

An extra $500,000 and change to be awarded to this fine, upstanding business to fix damage they caused, LOL.........

Before we get to that............this is the first time I realized who the contractor was...........SANSCON!

Yes, they of the Wellington fiasco and so much more are once again found working on a project with interminable delays.

Don't get me wrong, hydro and TTC doubtless helped contribute to the issues here.........but there is no mistaking the link between this contract and an abysmally slow work-rate.

Your report is here:

From said report:

View attachment 488960

View attachment 488962

View attachment 488963
Though there are probably others (yes Hydro, that's you!) who need some blame, Sanscon's incompetence on Wellington is more 'in my face' (or my neighbourhood!); their work on Military Trail Road is probably even worse and very well documented. See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ia/bgrd/backgroundfile-237381.pdf

Dumb question: is it possible to disqualify certain companies from the tender process?
Yes, but has to be recommend by X based on a long list of why and legal background.

Very rare someone is disqualify if they have submitted a tender with all T's and dots in the right place and the low bidder.

TTC have place X on the no bid list for 5 years in the past and expect the City as well.

Though there are probably others (yes Hydro, that's you!) who need some blame, Sanscon's incompetence on Wellington is more 'in my face' (or my neighbourhood!); their work on Military Trail Road is probably even worse and very well documented. See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ia/bgrd/backgroundfile-237381.pdf
Was working on some photos last night that I shot in 2017 for Wellington Waterline work,.6 years so far for Wellington and believe work was hauled for a year or so.

Dumb question: is it possible to disqualify certain companies from the tender process?

Not a dumb question; and the answer is Yes.

Here's a list of firms/or their owners currently under suspension:

Non-performance of a contract is grounds for sanction.

One challenge (on the matter of pokey work) would be whether each contract actually specifies a completion date; and whether the City fully met its end of any bargain (were the drawings correct? Did hydro cause a delay? etc.) But if the language is handled properly, including discussion of reasonable allowance for third-party caused delays, then there's a clear case.

Military Trail is an entirely different issue where what was completed simply wasn't what was spec'ed.

Last edited:
I am aware of another project by this contractor in my neck of the woods that went seriously amuck.

My observation is - the oversight by city staff was so poor that very likely the non-performance was beyond intervention.

I don't have any data on K-Q-R - but the whole process for getting work done in this city sure seems messed up.

- Paul

I am aware of another project by this contractor in my neck of the woods that went seriously amuck.

My observation is - the oversight by city staff was so poor that very likely the non-performance was beyond intervention.

I don't have any data on K-Q-R - but the whole process for getting work done in this city sure seems messed up.

- Paul
Messed up, yes, we have seen recent discussions here on Wellington St East, Military Trail Road and KQR (all, interestingly with same contractor - Sanscom) but we should not think it's only the City - Eglinton East LRT anyone?

From July CEO Report:

501 Queen Streetcar service to return to Long Branch Loop

The TTC and the City of Toronto are pleased to announce that beginning on September 3, the 501 Queen Streetcar service will be restored at Long Branch Loop. The City and the TTC are nearing completion of major infrastructure upgrades in the King Street West, Queen Street West, The Queensway and Roncesvalles Avenue (KQQR) intersection area. Upgrades include TTC track renewal and improvements as well as TTC traction power and overhead contact system renewal and improvements.

Check out Page 1 in this thread for a hint. Service ended Late 2020-early 2021. But don't forget the earlier outage 2017ish? to rebuild Parkside to Humber Loop. 501 bustitution is longstanding.

- Paul
The last streetcar ran at some point in mid December 2020, so will be just two months short of a three year bustitution to replace some track and sewer pipes. In that same time I'm sure a Chinese construction firm could have converted the line to a subway lol

The last streetcar ran at some point in mid December 2020, so will be just two months short of a three year bustitution to replace some track and sewer pipes. In that same time I'm sure a Chinese construction firm could have converted the line to a subway lol
There's an entire bridge structure under that intersection.

I'll just put this here for everyone. Enjoy the streetcar "service" while it's around, because it wont be for long since in 2024:

-Queen West will be undergoing sewer rehabilitation from Wilson Park Rd to Dovercourt,
-Track reconstruction will take place on at King and Dufferin,
-Watermain replacement on King between Dufferin and Shaw
-Track replacement on King between Dufferin and Shaw

From July CEO Report:

501 Queen Streetcar service to return to Long Branch Loop

The TTC and the City of Toronto are pleased to announce that beginning on September 3, the 501 Queen Streetcar service will be restored at Long Branch Loop. The City and the TTC are nearing completion of major infrastructure upgrades in the King Street West, Queen Street West, The Queensway and Roncesvalles Avenue (KQQR) intersection area. Upgrades include TTC track renewal and improvements as well as TTC traction power and overhead contact system renewal and improvements.
...until they start to lay the tracks for the Park Lawn/GO Station loop. Then they'll have to replace the streetcars with buses east of the Humber loop.

They could at least laid the foundation (the concrete below the tracks) now, which would last decades longer than the concrete around the tracks.. Unless they still do not know WHERE the tracks will go.

Last edited:
...until they start to lay the tracks for the Park Lawn/GO Station loop. Then they'll have to replace the streetcars with buses east of the Humber loop.

They could at least laid the foundation (the concrete below the tracks) now, which would last decades longer than the concrete around the tracks.. Unless they still do not know WHERE the tracks will go.
How can they lay the tracks, when they have even started construction on the site? ...Or even started building roads.

Back