News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is this a win, loss, or no effect for Premier Ford? And suppose he overrides this and allows the streetcar to run through TIFF (just as a thought exercise), what would that mean?

Is this a win, loss, or no effect for Premier Ford? And suppose he overrides this and allows the streetcar to run through TIFF (just as a thought exercise), what would that mean?
Streetcars crashing into temporary street furniture because Ford seems incapable of doing two things at once and if he directed streetcars to keep using King it is unlikely he would also think of telling TIFF not to cover the tracks with 'stuff'.

Why is TIFF such an issue but other street festival closures (or various marathons and other movement events) not?

I don't really attend any festivals (unless it involves electronic music and people who take shit too far and it lasts days, non-stop, none of which are in Toronto, sadly) but I don't see the problem with shutting streets down for some down time. Being uptight is a bigger drag than any detour.

Why is TIFF such an issue but other street festival closures (or various marathons and other movement events) not?

I don't really attend any festivals (unless it involves electronic music and people who take shit too far and it lasts days, non-stop, none of which are in Toronto, sadly) but I don't see the problem with shutting streets down for some down time. Being uptight is a bigger drag than any detour.

Taste of the Danforth - Toronto’s most famous street festival - is on top of a subway line. Impacts on transit are minimal, and it only runs on a weekend. Most street festivals are weekend only.

TIFF wants four full days, and their “Festival Street” is pathetic. It will also wreck two more weeknights with “red carpet” events. This is on Toronto’s third busiest transit route.

If TIFF only got a Saturday and Sunday, there wouldn’t be so much of an issue

That would be micromanagement at its worst. Regardless of the current Premier's personality, this is not an issue to be dealt with by the provincial government or its Premier.

Taste of the Danforth - Toronto’s most famous street festival - is on top of a subway line. Impacts on transit are minimal, and it only runs on a weekend. Most street festivals are weekend only.

TIFF wants four full days, and their “Festival Street” is pathetic. It will also wreck two more weeknights with “red carpet” events. This is on Toronto’s third busiest transit route.

If TIFF only got a Saturday and Sunday, there wouldn’t be so much of an issue

I still don't see the issue.

So what? A bit of a detour. No one's gonna die if it takes them ten minutes longer to get somewhere.

And then, is it only a problem because transit is blocked? When road users are blocked from passage, it's not as grievous?

If I was in charge, this town would have block parties all over it.

I still don't see the issue.

So what? A bit of a detour. No one's gonna die if it takes them ten minutes longer to get somewhere.

And then, is it only a problem because transit is blocked? When road users are blocked from passage, it's not as grievous?

If I was in charge, this town would have block parties all over it.

Then TIFF can get John Street. But they don’t want John Street.

I don’t get your reasoning. TIFF’s entitlement is the problem here. Have you been to King Street when it’s closed for TIFF? It’s boring, full of advertisements, and occasionally crowds trying to get a photo of George Clooney.

As far as “block parties” go, this isn’t one worth defending.

If this is such a major issue, why are Councillors such as Mihevc, Layton, Perks, Wong-Tam, etc. not publicly complaining about the closure of King Street for TIFF? It seems as though they do not mind, given that TIFF does not drag on for weeks.

If this is such a major issue, why are Councillors such as Mihevc, Layton, Perks, Wong-Tam, etc. not publicly complaining about the closure of King Street for TIFF? It seems as though they do not mind, given that TIFF does not drag on for weeks.
Shhhh! Listen! Hear that sound of slurping and sucking?

Back