News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

With all the new condos popping up and under consideration along Queen E, Eastern, does anyone know if there's any plans for increased community services to better equip the neighborhood to handle the intensification?

Curious if new schools, libraries, greenspace, community centers are being planned or if these considerations are taken into account in any urban planning process.
I can only speak to the schools. Many of them in the area are already operating under capacity.

I can only speak to the schools. Many of them in the area are already operating under capacity.

This is true; also true that many are older buildings that lack air conditioning and a variety of other modern basics.

The TDSB is severely limited in the capital spending department both by the provincial fiat that denies it access to development charges; and wholly inadequate capital funding levels to boot.

To the best of my knowledge none of the schools in the area is currently on the reconstruction list.

With all the new condos popping up and under consideration along Queen E, Eastern, does anyone know if there's any plans for increased community services to better equip the neighborhood to handle the intensification?

Curious if new schools, libraries, greenspace, community centers are being planned or if these considerations are taken into account in any urban planning process.

Schools are addressed above.

Libraries: No new branches are contemplated for this area; one is proposed for the Portlands (though tentatively this was actually to replace the Queen/Saulter branch).

Branch redevelopment: Redevelopment of Jones and Danforth/Coxwell are both contemplated, but not funded in the near-term; to my recollection.

Greenspace: Most of the area is considered to be well-served by the current amount of parkspace. But there are exceptions to be sure.

Large amounts of new park space will come on stream in the Portlands; including a lot of natural space, but also a destination playground and a new new sports field.

Also coming will be new park space at the East Habour site.

There are no other large additions coming of which I am aware.

Though some small ones are contemplated.

Community Centres:

Currently there are no new recreation centres for this area in the capital plans.

Though a new YMCA will open somewhat close by on Kingston Road at Beech.

Redevelopment of some existing facilities is contemplated.

Wow thanks for the in-depth response!

It's a shame the school boards are left out of development charges as the schools in this area could definitely use some updating/modernization. Same goes with those libraries you pointed out as well - the one on Jones and Dundas is for sure.

I'm sure the new condos springing up with draw a lot more young families to populate the schools. Similar to the elementary schools along the western side of Queen East.

Outdoor patio at the Flying Squirrel Motorcycle Co @ Queen E & Knox:

20210710_111628.jpg

New addition coming above to 1184 Queen E:

20210710_112258.jpg
20210710_112332.jpg

Nice mural on Coady Ave, just north of Queen:

20210710_112736.jpg

New house being built on Jones, bit north of Queen. Looks like space beside it for another one too:

20210710_112952.jpg
20210710_113003.jpg

Work begins on new Badgerow Parkette near Carlaw and Dundas

Aug 15, 2021

Construction work on the Badgerow Parkette in the Carlaw Avenue and Dundas Street East area has begun.

Work began earlier this month, and if the weather cooperates it is expected to be completed by fall of this year.

Toronto-Danforth Councillor Paula Fletcher said in a recent release that the parkette’s creation is part of the Carlaw + Dundas Community Initiative that stared with City Council approval back in 2014.

The parkette is located on the northeast corner of Carlaw Avenue and Badgerow Road. It will incorporate the south wall of the Toronto Hydro building on the property into its design.

Plans for the Badgerow Parkette include custom benches, planters, a stage-step-seating area, a walkway, a piano-key bench, trees, and an historical mural/poster on the hydro building’s wall.

The new parkette is part of the future vision for the Carlaw-Dundas Triangle which already includes the obelisk designed by Toronto artist Pierre Poussin, and the new “gateway” to Jimmie Simpson Park.(For more on the Brick Obelisk please see our earlier story at https://beachmetro.com/2020/10/13/v...-obelisk-at-carlaw-and-dundas-set-for-oct-14/ )

“Carlaw and Dundas is a unique neighbourhood and the contemporary interpretations of its history in the design of these public spaces by Schollen & Company are an elegant and fitting tribute to its rich industrial past,” said Fletcher in her release.

Those wishing to learn more about the area, and the plans for the future, can go to https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...das-Landscape-and-Improvements.pdf?1615683529

badge.jpg

Small rendering of the parkette:

badge2.jpg

A bit outside of Leslieville proper, but Jimmy's Coffee is opening a new location on October 8th, 2021 at 806 Queen East, just west of the railway bridge and De Grassi St.

Billy's Burgers at the northeast corner of Pape & Queen East will be closing towards the end of the month. With November 29, 2021 being their last day.

From what I gather, it sounds like another business will be opening in place of it.

Councillor pushing to preserve Leslieville’s industrial heritage

'Iconic' buildings from Toronto's early industrial history at risk from development pressure, Fletcher says

Nov 17, 2021

The Lee's Food Products/China Lily soy sauce factory at (1233 Queen E & Leslie) has closed, as the company has moved operations to a facility in Scarborough. Some standard speculation has come up in the community but no official word on what will be happening yet in the future at this site.

Purchased a few weeks ago by Core Developments I've heard

I’m very exited about this. This is a fairly large property in a great location so it’ll be interesting to see what the height and quality of this project. Leslie and Queen E has the potential to be an amazing main intersection..

980 QUEEN ST E
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

Application Number: 22 100430 STE 14 MV
Application Type: Minor Variance
Date Submitted: 04/01/2022

Description: Proposal to demolish existing facade on Queen St. and construct new facade, construct addition to existing 2nd floor,and repair and alter base building. To convert the main floor to retails and the second floor to a residential unit.

Currently, this building in the middle here on Queen just east of Carlaw:

980q.JPG

Back