News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Tokyo, New York, and Montreal have fare gate attendants who provide information and are at least an extra set of eyes who can radio for nearby police. Fare gates without attendants are like expecting a television set to parent a child.

Or forego the costs of fare gates and implement more security.

Translink implemented these designated waiting areas decades ago that feature extra lighting, a security camera, and a security phone. Not sure how effective they are, either in reducing actual crime or increasing the perception of safety.

EHsn5UQU8AAvGmT.jpg:large

Not sure how effective those are in Vancouver. The DWAs in Toronto are far more prominent and feature panic buttons that at least give the perception of safety

Although i support further exploration of faregates, the idea of putting faregates on only two stations as a trial run seems silly? It's hard to imagine any meaningful information being gleaned from that.
I guess we'll get more info when they come back next summer with a plan, but would it be like; put faregates on say Coliseum, and see if assaults at that station are lower year over year? It's a very drawn out process, but I suppose council has been very opposed to the idea so if this is the only in, then it is what it is.
But I would think if we're already going through the trouble to procure and install faregates at two stations, we might as well at least reinstall them at all the old stations that are already designed for faregates. I can't imagine they're going to uninstall them after the trial, afterall.

Which old stations are built for faregates? Churchill, Central, Bay, Corona... Coliseum? and I can't remember, did Government Centre have a spot for them? Stadium used to be but now that's changed.
Regardless it's only a few, so if you're already doing 2, you might as well do all 5 or 6.

A number of recent incidents have happened on the platforms (ie. the fare paid areas), so I understand the push for fare gates. The more central stations had them or were built for them at one time.

So, it really shouldn't be too hard to add them. Of course this is government and there seems to be little incentive for cost control, so it probably costs $20,000 to change a light bulb.

Another reason is perceptions around safety and I think even a number on council now realize something needs to be done so people will have confidence to use LRT and transit more again.

Which old stations are built for faregates? Churchill, Central, Bay, Corona... Coliseum? and I can't remember, did Government Centre have a spot for them? Stadium used to be but now that's changed.
All underground stations were built for them. Renovations might have changed it a little, however, in some of them.
Looking at the layout, wouldn't be hard to install them in all of the DT stations, Coliseum, Southgate and Century Park.

All underground stations were built for them. Renovations might have changed it a little, however, in some of them.
Looking at the layout, wouldn't be hard to install them in all of the DT stations, Coliseum, Southgate and Century Park.
Does that also include University station?

A number of recent incidents have happened on the platforms (ie. the fare paid areas), so I understand the push for fare gates. The more central stations had them or were built for them at one time.

So, it really shouldn't be too hard to add them. Of course this is government and there seems to be little incentive for cost control, so it probably costs $20,000 to change a light bulb.

Another reason is perceptions around safety and I think even a number on council now realize something needs to be done so people will have confidence to use LRT and transit more again.
The Calgary study gets cited a ton. Are there others examples of cities that have or haven’t done them with data and research behind them? It’s hard because it’s so contextual…but it’s a costly thing to do if it doesn’t solve the problem.

I also worry it puts all our eggs in 1 basket and we won’t do the others things also needed (cleaning, personnel, aesthetic improvements, etc).

Churchill, Central had them, Bay, and Corona were built for them. Government Centre and University were not. In particular there is one elevator at University that goes from street level to platform level which sort of falls outside of the traditional fare collection areas. I think Government Centre is fine. I know for sure the south end you need to transfer elevators so the elevator to platform level can fall within the paid area, but I am not 100% sure about the north end. Central and Churchill's elevators fell outside of the fare paid area for the turnstiles. They had separate machines for fare collection that didn't have the turnstile component. Essentially back when the LRT opened, you could avoid the turnstiles just by using an elevator Downtown.
Central's elevator could easily be incorporated into a new fare paid area controlled by faregates, Churchill's would be a bit harder. Bay and Corona were designed a bit better to include the elevator in the fare paid area, but, Edmonton Transit had

I do think fare gates are a way to help. My first experience goes back to 2005, when after a trip to Toronto, I found it remarkable how little security I saw in the stations, but, how safe it felt. And I mean I generally felt safe in Edmonton already, but, the TTC's subways seemed just that much safer.

This $400 million figure out of Calgary I think is crap. I think this is a consultant who has gone to the extreme to dissuade Calgary from even considering faregates for whatever reason. For $400 million, that figure must include significant modifications to 7th Ave stations to create faregate controlled areas, and this would mean building a lot of walls and/ or fences.

Vancouver was south of $200 million ($186 million?) for their entire Skytrain system. I saw something from Tim Cartmell about a unsolicited quote of $30 million to do Edmonton's LRT system.

The two new NLRT station don't look like they will support faregates too easily.

Can we finally point fingers at the Province, who has been downloading the burden to the Cities and subsequently blaming them for not doing enough?

(The answer is NO.)
I expect the Province to step up and take responsibility just like the police did after dropping off and interacting with the Chinatown double homicide perpetrator. /s

Just kidding, they will do the same thing the police did. Blame the City and non-profit sector despite the massive inequity in funding and responsibility.

This account has become quite popular on social media, it aggregates a lot of unfortunate situations that occur around the Edmonton area. While I do feel like it has had an oversized impact on negative sentiment towards our city, I also can’t really fault parents for example seeing videos like this and thinking twice about using transit with their family. https://x.com/yegwave/status/1736542508425839025?s=46&t=WtcUbUvx-_TEb_qX6iswZg

I support direct action to stop this if any of us are on a train while this happens. Horrible behaviour, by a sick and bad person.

Back