News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's proposing something along the lines of the War Measures Act in Quebec. Back then, with only two or three people killed, the Feds sent in hundreds of soldiers to ensure order. With about 13 gang-related murders in this one ward this year alone, I suppose he's hoping a LAV or two on the street corners might help.

The War Measures Act was what allowed my parents and grandparents (along with 20,000 other Japanese Canadians) to be rounded up and imprisoned indefinitely, without charge, without evidence, and without due process during WWII. (This is the same thing that happened during the October Crisis and is happening again today to Muslims in the current atmosphere of Islamophobia and the so-called "war on terror".)

If increasing law enforcement (number of officers per capita) were the answer, Americans should have the safest cities in the world. They don't, so clearly this is not the answer.

Having aimless youth all join the armed forces? I'm thinking about the three soldiers who beat that homeless guy to death in Moss Park for the fun of it. Some people join because they truly want to do something good for their country. Others join with more questionable motives. I don't think much good comes of putting people in there who don't have an intrinsic motivation.

These ideas are naive at best - in Mammoliti's case, half-baked and foolish. Tanks on the streets? Martial law? Curfew? Suspension of civil liberties? If the police, many of whom are familiar with the neighbourhood and the locals, can't overcome the gangs, how will a bunch of strangers with guns help?

If the police, many of whom are familiar with the neighbourhood and the locals, can't overcome the gangs,

the police are, the courts are not...

I have a cousin who is a Toronto police officer.

He says many of the guys are caught but the courts are in his words "showing compassion like if they were people stealing a loaf of bread"...

what i think he means many of the guys who do these crimes are repeat offenders. If a man shoot someone, maybe once you serve time, a 2nd time, you are dangerous offender...

The War Measures Act was what allowed my parents and grandparents (along with 20,000 other Japanese Canadians) to be rounded up and imprisoned indefinitely, without charge, without evidence, and without due process during WWII. (This is the same thing that happened during the October Crisis and is happening again today to Muslims in the current atmosphere of Islamophobia and the so-called "war on terror".)

That's right. One of the first things that the Quebec Provincial Police did during the War Measures Act (which was requested by the Quebec government) was to arrest a large number of people who had done such awful things as written books or articles thought to be suspicious. Individuals who belonged to opposition parties that had no hope in hell being elected were also arrested. These people were somehow viewed as a threat to democracy. The soldiers just guarded federal and provincial assets. They were not out arresting people.

If increasing law enforcement (number of officers per capita) were the answer, Americans should have the safest cities in the world. They don't, so clearly this is not the answer.

May I say this is an exceptional post. Thank you for leaving it.

Wow. This is the type of insanity you would expect if there was some massive security threat a la 9/11, not just a few more dead gangbangers than usual.

He's just trying to draw attention to the issue, I assume. The idea of Martial Law is ridiculous.

I think it's at least just as much him trying to draw attention to himself. The idea of Georgio Mammollitti, the City Councillor sticking up for his community is ridiculous.

Having aimless youth all join the armed forces? I'm thinking about the three soldiers who beat that homeless guy to death in Moss Park for the fun of it. Some people join because they truly want to do something good for their country. Others join with more questionable motives. I don't think much good comes of putting people in there who don't have an intrinsic motivation.
Obviously you still need to qualify the applicants. First of all, you must have a high school education; so aimless, uneducated kids will be excluded. My feeling is that many of those who join youth gangs are seeking a purpose in life, and can find that in the military.

Of course bringing in the military is sensationalist rubbish. Although I think there is something to the point of why we take a rationalist approach to domestic criminal activity while engaging in an absolutest approach towards international terrorism. What I mean is that for example we are OK with expending enormous resources to stop the potential of one hypothetical international terror incident that may claim a few hundred lives while at the same time we ration resources in combating domestic criminal activity that does claim hundreds of lives a year.

The trouble with such a question is that we begin to conflate two somewhat nebulous terms.

Though it's funny how some Toronto Sun types might try to bunch him up w/Miller because he's a tax'n'spend ex-NDP MPP...though he's not only no longer NDP, he was squarely in the Lastman and then John Tory camp (Pitfield, I don't know/remember). Pinhead populism, y'know...

I spent the whole evening in the Jane/Sheppard area today. Didn't get shot or see any gangsters or anything. I think Mammoliti doing far more damage to this area than any gangs.

Honestly, I can't believe the level of ignorance that many people, including some here, have for this area and similar areas around Toronto. These area are not bad at all; not even close to being a slum, let alone a ghetto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back