News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

And, to repeat: going by the results, voters decided that even among the losers, there was "healthier" competition than the 43 Down slate.

But again, the *real* shocker ought to have been how poorly the 43 Down slate did.

Yeah, but once again, 43 Down's "Team Ford" girl Patricia Sinclair wasn't just trounced by Jim K.'s federal "incumbent advantage"; she was also trounced by ex-Del Grande staffer Franco Ng (18%), by NOW endorsee Cozette Giannini (just under 10%), and a couple of others--she only got 3.67% of the vote.

You seem to have this way of viewing races in very generic incumbents-vs-"everyone else" terms; without considering that even among the losers, there's a pecking order of "winners" and "losers".

And in that light, let's look at the most clusterfvcked Scarborough race of them all: Ward 44, where Ron Moeser (25.7%) barely hung on against...dark horse municipal planner/activist Jennifer McKelvie (23.4%); erstwhile chief Moeser opponent Diana Hall (22.2%); City Idol graduate/NOW endorsee Amarjeet Chhabra (11.4%); one Richard Ross (7.5%, and particularly strong in his West Rouge turf)...and everyone else was below 2%, and you have to go all the way to *9th* place for 43 Down-er Ashley Sondhi (1.35%).

See what I mean? Some competition's "healthier" than others. And by and large, Ford/Flagg's Scarborough gang didn't make the mark.
And neither did any of the other slates make the mark either....take a look at AFUITBS's "Challengers to watch", the antiMLTT slate, the Labour Council and on and on...
Yes, Jennifer McKelvie would have made a much better addition to Council than Moeser as would have Idil Burale (1) any one of the three in Ward 2, R Ford in 6, Chambers or Keegan in 7, Narain in 8 (she was truly a gem who should of had more consideration) or how about Dan Fox rather than David Shiner....Hopefully all those noted above will be active in their Wards as burrs in the saddles of the incumbents...

Last edited:
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/17/tory-to-world-forget-ford-im-mayor-now

Via Don Peat, hence the proper paragraphs:

TORONTO - John Tory wants the world to know he’s mayor of Toronto and he’s not the notorious mayor they likely have heard about.

Ahead of his first trip abroad on city business, Tory admitted he believes he has work to do to let people know that the city has moved beyond the Rob Ford era that captured global headlines.

“I’m not passing judgment at all in saying this,” Tory said Tuesday in an interview from Pearson airport before flying to Austin, Texas. “I’m just saying that I think there was a chapter we’ve just been through where we were in the press a lot and on the media in the United States, including social media. Everybody knows all about that.

“What we now have to say is let’s change the channel and get back to business here. We want you to come and visit Toronto, we want you to come and live in Toronto. We want you to invest in Toronto and create jobs.”

Tory stressed he wants people outside the city to know “that stuff is over with and we’re now back to business.

“I’m there to sell the city,” he said.

Asked if he’s run into his predecessor’s controversial reputation in his first few months on the job, the mayor was blunt.

“I hear about it almost every day from people who I talk to who are outside the country and inside the country,” Tory said.

“I hope that (Councillor Ford’s) own life, that whole chapter is over with too, but the bottom line is I’ve got to just move on and sell the city — that’s my job.”

Tory does give Ford credit for establishing the Music City Alliance with Austin that other cities are trying to replicate.

“But now I have to make it real or more real by making sure that we can benefit from that and build on that,” Tory said.

“We have clearly indicated we’ve turned the page and we’re back to saying we’re about jobs, jobs, jobs, music, music, music and that’s what it is all about.”

How does his taxpayer-funded trip translate into jobs? Tory said he’s convinced the city has “all the raw materials” for its live music scene to prosper.

“The part people don’t know much about is we have huge production talent and capacity in Toronto to produce records here and we still get way less than our share of production of albums in Toronto,” Tory said.

“I look at it very similar to what happened with (the Toronto International Film Festival), as you grew the film festival, as you grew the prominence of the film festival, so grew the marketplace in Toronto for film production and that created, as you know, huge numbers of jobs and we can do the same thing for music.

“On top of that, there is the opportunities for live music where we don’t really have now a huge live music festival of the scale of South by Southwest and one could argue that with the talent that we have and the size of our music industry, we should have.”

Tory’s trip also includes stops at three technology companies: Google, AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) and IBM Austin.

“What I’m anxious to see is the connection that I’m told exists ... they would say that in terms of the attraction of the talent they need to work in their companies, the big part of the basis on which they choose where to go and where to invest is a healthy creative sector,” he said.

“I want to make sure that these kinds of companies that are the global companies with a lot of the jobs of the future will want to locate and expand their presence in Toronto and create more jobs and if music is a big part of that — as I believe it is music and culture and creativity and even the diversity that we have — that we sort of figure out that formula as best one can so that we can use that in attracting those companies to come to Toronto.”

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2015/03/18/mayor-john-torys-approval-rating-at-72

Tory has a 72% approval rating.

Last edited:
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/17/tory-to-world-forget-ford-im-mayor-now

Via Don Peat, hence the proper paragraphs:

TORONTO - John Tory wants the world to know he’s mayor of Toronto and he’s not the notorious mayor they likely have heard about...

“I want to make sure that these kinds of companies that are the global companies with a lot of the jobs of the future will want to locate and expand their presence in Toronto and create more jobs and if music is a big part of that — as I believe it is music and culture and creativity and even the diversity that we have — that we sort of figure out that formula as best one can so that we can use that in attracting those companies to come to Toronto.â€

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2015/03/18/mayor-john-torys-approval-rating-at-72

Tory has a 72% approval rating.

It's a pleasant surprise to see a Toronto mayor even thinking about pitching Toronto to international employers.

It's a pleasant surprise to see a Toronto mayor even thinking about pitching Toronto to international employers.

I think there has only been 1 mayor in the last few decades who didn't see this as part of their job.

How are Google operations in Austin any different than Google operations in Toronto? If anything I'd expect more in Toronto, being as it is for Google their branch the largest city in a whole other country. I don't get this trip. Nothing of any note seemed to come of Ford's jaunt down there, and now here goes Tory repeating it so early in his term (weren't Colle and Thompson along the first time?). Is it because it's a trip he can take without facing bullheaded Ford criticism that it's a junket that disrepects taxpayer dollars?

Last edited:
How are Google operations in Austin any different than Google operations in Toronto? If anything I'd expect more in Toronto, being as it is for Google their branch the largest city in a whole other country. I don't get this trip. Nothing of any note seemed to come of Ford's jaunt down there, and now here goes Tory repeating it so early in his term (weren't Colle and Thompson along the first time?). Is it because it's a trip he can take without facing bullheaded Ford criticism that it's a junket that disrepects taxpayer dollars?

TO office is sales/marketing.

Google Austin - "We mostly focus on sales, marketing and staffing, and like most of Google, we’re growing fast, with new, Texan-sized opportunities opening up all the time."

He can go look at anything in Austin he wishes to, but saying he's going to visit Google there because he's on an international sales trip is a stretch. He'd be better off visiting the office in his own city.

Last edited:
He wants to follow up to show Toronto is serious, Thats what Tory said - follow up. Obviously Tory knows Ford never followed up.

In addition to gauging Tory’s popularity, the poll also took a look at the budget passed by council last week and found that 48 per cent approved of it while 23 per cent disapproved and 29 per cent didn’t have an opinion.

Those numbers sound good. Though I doubt more than 10% even knew a new budget cycle started. I mean the polling says the budget was most popular in Etobicoke, where his polling numbers were the lowest. Basically nobody has any clue about him or the budget and they just select based on personal factors at the moment they are contacted.

Last edited:

Back