News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Couldn't get the Spadina Expressway so widen Bathurst instead?

The block/group of stores on Bathurst on the east side between Glencairn and Glengrove are so close to the roadway it isn't funny.

March 27 addition.

Then: Queen and McLean looking E. October 21 1932.

queenandmcleanlookinge.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSCF1394-1.jpg

Thanks so much, Mustapha, for the book scans! I could only find 2 mentions of our Ansley Castle in Toronto, two photos from June 9th 1923 a couple of years before it was torn down, at http://collectionscanada.gc.ca but the records don't have the scanned photos available online, unfortunately.

The book Opportunity road: Yonge Street 1860-1939 By F. R. Berchem mentions Yellow House, Ansley Castle, Glen Castle, and King Dodds racetrack there. See page 94 and 95 at http://books.google.ca/books?id=KEe20HX9qdMC&lpg=PA94&ots=-VFbarXVBz&dq=%2B%22Ansley%20Castle%22%20-england&pg=PA95#v=onepage&q=+%22Ansley%20Castle%22%20-england&f=false

The two images then of Ansley Castle have squared sided turrets, unlike the image I originally posted... Here's the images we have, with the unknown turret in the back

ansley-castle.jpg

Still a mystery then!

It's hard to believe this place existed for only 16 years. It's also hard to beleive that there are no photos of Glengrove Park - there has been much written on it...

March 28 addition.

Then. Bruce Public School. 51 Larchmount Avenue. 1927.

after1927brucepublicEsideoflarchmou.jpg

Now. January 2010. No changes here. A wonderful sturdy looking building in an unassuming neighbourhood. Hopefully most of the pupils are lucky enough to live within walking distance.

DSCF1382-1.jpg

If you just glance at the building it looks the same but they did a very good job of adding a fairly large section on the right side. An extra bank of 5 windows plus 2 large vertical windows and a doorway. You'd never know it unless you saw the before pic.

Though also looking at the former picture, it'd seem (by the treatment of the party wall) that the addition was already "planned for" originally, maybe according to the present design; so we're looking at a school built in at least two stages...

If you just glance at the building it looks the same but they did a very good job of adding a fairly large section on the right side. An extra bank of 5 windows plus 2 large vertical windows and a doorway. You'd never know it unless you saw the before pic.

Yeah,... I meant that there wasn't a demolition of the old building. Of course I noticed the addition. Really. :)

March 29 addition.

Then: Queen Alexandra School. Broadview Avenue. Undated postcard.

OldQueenAlexandra181Broadviewjpg.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSCF1380.jpg

There certainly was a different attitude to public schools in the old days, probably originating in the concept of school-house:

huronstps.jpg

What a loss the original Queen A school is, the new one looks like a prison. No windows just glass blocks in the classrooms.
On the backside of the property is Dundas PS, they've kept the old building but completely removed the original entrance off Boulton Ave. It looks like total crap.

I wonder if the staff of those original school buildings explored the towers on their off hours; perhaps to take in some fresh air...

The statue in front of Harbord is still there but the soldiers Lee Enfield rifle is missing its bayonet.

March 30 addition.

Then. King Edward School, seen from College and Bathurst. "1920?"

kingedwardschool192tbd.jpg

Now. March 2010.

CSC_0023.jpg

In that last shot it looks like someone was overcome with embarassment over the folly of that tower. The remodelled version reminds me a bit of a prison watch tower. I imagine truancy officers stationed up there, peering through binoculars and taking note of idle youths.

Last edited:
Probably some penny-pinching Board employee when faced with maintenance and repair costs on the original tower balconies and cornices. Reminds me of how the Confederation Life Building central tower on Richmond got truncated by renovators who had no appreciation of the original architecture:

Confederation_Life_Bldg_1890-1.jpg

Probably some penny-pinching Board employee when faced with maintenance and repair costs on the original tower balconies and cornices. Reminds me of how the Confederation Life Building central tower on Richmond got truncated by renovators who had no appreciation of the original architecture:

That tower was beautiful originally. Its design was unfortunately compromised:

Back