News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm sorry to say that modernist architecture failed massively when it came to school building. Every single post war example is a picture of soul crushing ugliness and represents a depressing civic regression compared to the grand, confident ones they unfortunately replaced.

That tower was beautiful originally. Its design was unfortunately compromised:

junctionist, timely of you to post this view; Goldie sent me the two photos below just before your post and asked me to post them.

Goldie took this picture in 1981 when the building was being renovated: The lettering over the south east corner is no longer visible now; either it's been removed or covered up? I'm betting removed, as the close up shows what seems to be a sheet metal panel, and the letters were cemented on - note the missing "E".

ConfedLife1981.jpg

Goldie also uncovered this old view showing the lettering intact.

Yongesign.jpg

junctionist, timely of you to post this view; Goldie sent me the two photos below just before your post and asked me to post them.

Goldie took this picture in 1981 when the building was being renovated: The lettering over the south east corner is no longer visible now; either it's been removed or covered up? I'm betting removed, as the close up shows what seems to be a sheet metal panel, and the letters were cemented on - note the missing "E".

ConfedLife1981.jpg

Goldie also uncovered this old view showing the lettering intact.

Yongesign.jpg

The last pic reminded me that the crude "hat" placed on the central turret is relatively recent and was the result of the rezoning of the Confederation Life block in the mid-80's. Confed Life got permission to demolish everything on the block north of the original building (including some historically-listed buildings) in exchange for "restoring" the turrets which had been removed. It's unfortunate that the City did not insist on an accurate restoration of the original.

Here's a photo I took, probably early 80's, showing the building in its "pre-restoration" state (that's the Cadillac-Fairview tower at Queen and James under construction behind):

2007-09-03-1854-28.jpg

i'm surprised they didn't try to restore the lettering, given how much trouble they went to restoring that corner of the building.

i wonder if the corner might have had to have been at least partly reconstructed with new materials, given how elaborate and all-encompassing the 50's/60's 'modernization' was. its hard to believe that the original stone is 'under' all that, still intact.

81d5be1e.jpg

i'm surprised they didn't try to restore the lettering, given how much trouble they went to restoring that corner of the building.

i wonder if the corner might have had to have been at least partly reconstructed with new materials, given how elaborate and all-encompassing the 50's/60's 'modernization' was. its hard to believe that the original stone is 'under' all that, still intact.

I think you're right; it actually was a quite skillful reconstruction of the original base.

Confederation_Life_Building_1912-1.jpg

confed.jpg

Last edited:

Wasn't there a fire in the late '70's that required the building to be reconstructed?

Yes, and I actually saw it and watched the central gable collapse. That part was reconstructed out of necessity, but the ground floor reconstruction resulted from City requirements for "restoration" in exchange for the increased densities granted for 1 Queen East (and to demolish the old Bank of Commerce building on the corner, which was vigorously opposed by heritage groups). The proverbial "trade-off" resulted.

April 1 addition. No foolin.

Then. 1970ish? Markham street. Honest Ed's store in the distance.

f0124_fl0001_id0142-1.jpg

Now. March 2010.

CSC_0012-1.jpg

[QUOTE

Markham street. Honest Ed's store in the distance.

March 2010.

CSC_0012-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What a congested-looking strip!
Was all that previous sidwalk space given or sold to the home/store owners?

The "space" was not given up. It was the front yard/lawn of the houses which is now occupied by the patios.

April 2 addition.

Then: Court Street Toronto Police HQ. Served as such from 1876 to 1902. Another pic from the Toronto Archives by the prolific photographer Mr. Wiley. 1962ish?. Does anyone know anything about him?

f0124_fl0001_id0044.jpg

Now: February 2010.

DSCF1423.jpg

I'm going away - no access to a PC. No daily posts until Monday. Have a good weekend everyone.

April 2 addition.

Then: Court Street Toronto Police HQ. Served as such from 1876 to 1902. Another pic from the Toronto Archives by the prolific photographer Mr. Wiley. 1962ish?. Does anyone know anything about him?

f0124_fl0001_id0044.jpg

Now: February 2010.

DSCF1423.jpg

As much as I love Janet Rosenberg's design for Courthouse Square, the demolition of the Court Street Police/Fire Hall was another step in the razing of the Toronto Street precinct. Preceding its ultimate demise was the loss of its tower some time before:

Closeup of the tower:

kingblock-1.jpg

From this pic:

kingblock.jpg

TPL print:

1952CourtStreetPoliceFireStation-1.jpg

Detail of NW corner:

2009-01-16-2339-34_edited.jpg

Map of the block intact (1910):

KingChurchBlock1910.jpg

Last edited:

Back