News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A wonderful article on "Then & Now" photography is on display at the web site of The Photographic Historical Society of Canada:
http://www.phsc.ca/Maciejewski.html
The article features Notman photographs of old Montreal with exceptiolally accurate restaging by photographer Maciejewski.
The photographer's working method is described in detail.

TDot Then and Nows on CNN iDesk

Hello Toronto Then and Now peeps,

I was contacted by CNN's iDeesk regarding Toronto's growing Then and Now seen. They are having a weekend Then and Now challenge for anyone interested and also they would like to see a toronto rep. there are some guildlines to the submissions and its a tight deadline, tommorow evening. Here's the link: http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=412374

Catch y'all later....

Alden Cudanin
torontobefore.blogspot.com

Wasn't there a fire in the late '70's that required the building to be reconstructed?

The fire was early-'80s - I saw the smoke from my balcony when I lived at 70 Cambridge.

Confed Life got permission to demolish everything on the block north of the original building (including some historically-listed buildings) in exchange for "restoring" the turrets which had been removed. It's unfortunate that the City did not insist on an accurate restoration of the original.

... and odd that, considering the availability of archived photographs showing the original City Hall gargoyles in some detail, the people who fashioned replacements that only loosely approximated them didn't hunt down said reference.

The golden PoMo building that was actually constructed to the north of Confederation Life was considerably different from the first design - which consisted of two office towers of approximately 25 and 35 floors, supported on piloti that emerged through a glass-roofed atrium that angled down sharply from the roof of Confederation Life to the Queen Street sidewalk. The taller, east tower was set at an angle to the street and both had vaguely Casa-esque hats.

Darn I missed the CNN deadline because I was away. :(

thecharioteer, thank you for those views and additional history of Court Street station and area.

Then:

Dundas and Victoria Lane NE corner. "c.1945" according to the Toronto Archive notation.

nedundasandvictorialane.jpg

April 6 addition.

Now:

March 2010.

DSCF1426.jpg

April 7 addition.

Then. Spadina looking across to the E side and Sullivan street. 1920.

f1244_it7206.jpg

Now. March 2010.

DSCF1431.jpg

April 7 addition.

Then. Spadina looking across to the E side and Sullivan street. 1920.

f1244_it7206.jpg

Now. March 2010.

DSCF1431.jpg

wow--that central column...i had no idea.
that building looks quite elaborate for a warehouse, i wonder how common that kind of detailing was?

Last edited:
Though I understand why it happens (money!), it is sad to see the little "extras" like the small turrets, the two colour brick and the 'arches' on top of buildings slowly being removed (or not repaired). It is great there are still photos of them and one can only hope that one day some may be recreated.

Amazing to think that 12 years before the earlier picture, the site looked like this:

spadina-1.jpg

spadinamap2-1-1.jpg

Great photos and Goad's map. We lived on Sullivan for many years. Along with Grange and Phoebe sts. Sullivan still has many great old homes. Is there any way to find a photo of the "Protestant Children's Home" on the north side of Sullivan, east of Huron? [#34 to approx. #20]
I've found drawings but never a photo.

... and in 1978, when there was open land around Phoebe and Huron ( I forget which block exactly ), Richard Serra set up three metal cubes on the vacant land for a few months as part of the AGO's Structures for Behaviour exhibition. And now the land is built on again. Cycles of change, destruction, rebuilding, renewal.

Really? The Imperial Pub was a hotel? Makes sense. The Pantages-Canon Theatre (across the street) was also called the The Imperial/The Imperial Six. Could this be a historic block of old row buildings?

Great photos and Goad's map. We lived on Sullivan for many years. Along with Grange and Phoebe sts. Sullivan still has many great old homes. Is there any way to find a photo of the "Protestant Children's Home" on the north side of Sullivan, east of Huron? [#34 to approx. #20]
I've found drawings but never a photo.

My wife grew up on Sullivan in the 60s too. That row of houses to the left of the picture are are still there. Some are in need of maintenance. I like the "Widows Walk" on top of the house in thecharioteers picture. Nice touch from the builder. Would be a great place to mount a reflector telescope. :)

April 8 addition.

Then. Queen's Hotel. 1908.

f1244_it0333.jpg

Now: February 2010.

DSCF1429.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairmont_Royal_York

Back