News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think the older photo is probably NOT "Castlefield" - could it be a 'gatehouse' or servant's quarters? Even after 25 years of ownership by a developer it does not look 'grand' enough! (Nor 'castle-enough'.)

Makes sense. Lot no. 4 on the south side of Castlefield Avenue of thecharioteers map shows two buildings. Perhaps that lot was where Castlefield was located. The photographer didn't know any better and shot the less grand one.

Anna's discovery of this old photo as a stock photo is intriguing to say the least. The owner to the rights of the photo was Lyman B. Jackes, who authored Tales Of North Toronto in 1948; a book previously referred to in this thread. He was obviously also a descendant of William Jackes and it is telling that this photo has his name attributed to it as well as a Castlefield and Yonge location. I'm guessing that it was one of several Jackes family member's homes on the block.

April 11 addition.

Then: Dupont looking E from Christie. September 18, 1925.

s0071_it4052.jpg

\

Now: February 2010.

DSCF1445.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, interesting that the Kingsway originally had V-shaped marquee signage--at least the present version (which has existed as far as I remember) is "in spirit", perhaps with the original lettering transposed. (Oh, and the black Vitrolite in the roofline centerpiece broke away/vanished in the 1990s.)

Interesting, too, how there's *always* been a cleaners next door--and of course, the BMO's an argument on behalf of the declining state of architectural signage...

Miscellany Toronto: Then and Now-arguably UT's most interesting forum section...

Mustapha: I always learn something about Toronto's history from looking here-I feel that this is to me one of the most fascinating topic sections here at UT. There is just too much to comment about but I will mention these:
4/8 That Circle Theatre diagram was quite interesting noting its age!
4/8 The Yorkdale late 60s pic is interesting because the blue auto also matches the sky somewhat here...
4/11 Dupont/Christie: A streetcar/trolley line dissapears...
4/12 Bloor/Royal York: Only the Kingsway Theatre is a constant-I like the old autos in the 50s pic along with that then-modern Bank of Montreal building or facade...From looking hard at the new pic I now noticed that the BofM AND the Cleaners are also still the same...for more then 50 years time!
If I left any posters out I thank you all in advance! Long Island Mike

Last edited:
April 12 addition.

Then. Bloor, just W of Royal York. 1958.

blooratroyalyork1958.jpg

Now. February 2010.

DSC_0050-2.jpg

I thought I replied to this earlier in the day: but, most interesting to see that the Kingsway originally had V-shaped marquee signage (and I'm tempting to assume they reused the letters in switching to a flush-against-the-wall sign--a condition that's existed as far as I remember)

4/8 That Circle Theatre diagram was quite interesting noting its age!

Thanks LIMike, I'm considering framing this image; it's so striking.

I thought I replied to this earlier in the day: but, most interesting to see that the Kingsway originally had V-shaped marquee signage (and I'm tempting to assume they reused the letters in switching to a flush-against-the-wall sign--a condition that's existed as far as I remember)

I have to check out some of these old theatres before they cease-to-be someday and I have regrets that I never went inside for a show.

April 14 addition.

Then. Church and Esplanade looking NE. December 10, 1912.

s0372_ss0100_it0042.jpg

Now. April 12, 2010.

DSC_0184.jpg

Then. Church and Esplanade looking NE. December 10, 1912...Now. April 12, 2010.

That's great! It took me a moment to realize the first story of the existing building was under construction in the 1912 photo!

I wonder where the following photo, 3 months later, was taken. I assume this is facing south, with the building just off camera to the left:

s0372_ss0100_it0043.jpg

Another thing about the old Kingsway shot: note the black Vitrolite in the facade "finial"--it largely broke away by the 90s and was stuccoed over. (Maybe if they're up to investing into some replacement Vitrolite-esque material...)

That's great! It took me a moment to realize the first story of the existing building was under construction in the 1912 photo!

I wonder where the following photo, 3 months later, was taken. I assume this is facing south, with the building just off camera to the left:

s0372_ss0100_it0043.jpg

Correct seemsartless. In my photo, the wooden shed on the right of the picture has a half moon shaped sign on top. Same shed is on the left in your picture.

Another thing about the old Kingsway shot: note the black Vitrolite in the facade "finial"--it largely broke away by the 90s and was stuccoed over. (Maybe if they're up to investing into some replacement Vitrolite-esque material...)

adma, I was finally curious to seek a bit more info about Vitrolite. I Googled same and lo and behold the Wiki has a picture of Eglinton subway station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrolite

Then. Queen's Hotel. 1908.

f1244_it0333.jpg

Now: February 2010.

another view of the block, from the excavation site for Union Station. its amazing how omnipresent water towers used to be in the pre-'skyscraper' era. along with church spires of course.

e8d5e0de.jpg

and another, post Union station. i think there is about a 5 year period between completion of Union Station, and the demolition of Queen's Hotel for the Royal York?

fe501ab6.jpg

Last edited:

Back