News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thanks Michael -- I always appreciate that accurately-matched cropping.
And the 60-year change to the skyline is awesome!

Just wondering about the day of the week and time of day the photos were taken at. The 1958 shows a packed roadway, while the 2016 shows a sparse roadway.
I'm not sure about the original W.K. Lis. Mine was on a Sunday around 12 noon. I did a pano when I was up there and just for fun I will post the unedited version.
395329_10150531063293165_1913448412_n.jpg

Attachments

• 395329_10150531063293165_1913448412_n.jpg
    395329_10150531063293165_1913448412_n.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 631
Thanks Michael -- I always appreciate that accurately-matched cropping.
And the 60-year change to the skyline is awesome!
Well thank you Goldie. I haven't been posting here for a few years. I used to be "Brewster" but due to switching to Bell from Rogers I lost a lot of passwords. I noticed that a lot of photos are not here that I and others have posted due to whats going on at Photobucket. If I can re-post the ones that are missing I will if that's alright by you. It might take awhile but time is something I have plenty of.

That coffee shop used to be a favourite with TTC Drivers doing the night bus. They could get off there, hope in and get a coffee at 3 am without anyone even knowing. Eventually they had to stop doing that because people were complaining but they made a killing.

Now that you remind me, it's been ages since I last witnessed a TTC-bus "coffee break stop"; so they must have laid down law on that. (Probably helps that "flask technology" has advanced, so drivers don't need to rush out for a en-route cuppa.)

Attachments

• Saunders-Cook was a Ford-Edsel dealership at 2850 Kingston Rd - 1958.jpg
    Saunders-Cook was a Ford-Edsel dealership at 2850 Kingston Rd - 1958.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 847
  • Saunders-Cook was a Ford-Edsel dealership at 2850 Kingston Rd - 1958a.JPG
    Saunders-Cook was a Ford-Edsel dealership at 2850 Kingston Rd - 1958a.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 566
Heya Michael, welcome back!
Thanks Mustapha. Always good to see that you, Goldie, adma and the rest are still keeping the spirit of Toronto alive and well. I have been running Vintage Toronto on facebook for the last 6 years and it is very time consuming. I have Then & Now albums of every major street in Toronto and then some. I just checked the Don Mills Then & Now thread on this site and it needs to be redone due to my exit from "Photobucket". I can't figure out how to start a new thread, any help would be appreciated. I have a Dufferin Then & Now in waiting.

Michael, thanks for the mention of "Vintage Toronto on facebook."
I've just spent a pleasant hour browsing and really enjoyed your excellent site.
I'll be back for more.

This is incredible. The way the city is rebuilding, a 10 years apart picture is already quite significant.

Seems to me, at least, the sprawling suburbs are being redeveloped (into medium or even high-density) developments faster than the older medium-density neighbourhoods. Some of the 1950's bungalows are having second floors added to them, even allowing for basement apartments.

Anyone else finds it odd that the headquarters for the Bank of Nova Scotia (aka Scotiabank) has its head office in Toronto, Ontario?
Not me; the Bank of Montreal may have its legal headquarters in Montreal but most head office functions are here too. You want to be in the country's financial centre

Back