News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Indeed, the Empringham Hotel was a landmark in "Little York" for many, many years.
Here's the earlier structure, 1907.

Yonge St., c.1960-70, CTA

After the recent addition of the Ryerson Student Learning Centre

The former photo would be more c1990/1; Sam's is already double-disc (but hasn't yet taken over CIBC); 1 Queen E is extant; and it looks as if HMV might already be there--behind hoarding?

Kew Beach, 1908 TPL

By 1931 all the homes and cottages had been removed and a wide strip of waterfront was reserved for boardwalk, beaches and parkland.

By 1931 all the homes and cottages had been removed and a wide strip of waterfront was reserved for boardwalk, beaches and parkland.
View attachment 179172

I wonder how much that was motivated by the closure of Scarborough Beach Park in the 1920s--in general, the "park-ing" of the Eastern Beaches is a little-appreciated eastern counterpart to the creation of Lake Shore Blvd and Sunnyside in the west, and likewise with salubrious intent...

Yonge St., c.1960-70, CTA
View attachment 179116
Agree this may be closer to1990.. you can see the new tower completed (20 Richmond east?) north of ConFed.--far right of the pic.

BTW moriyama & teshima provided the original 2 tower designs here which were tres cool... including roof "hats" far more interesting than Ice.

Leslie St. N. from Finch 1957 TPL
That was a direct hit on the memory banks. OMG...It's not just that specific corner, it's the vista from the era. That's ten thousand corners from that time... And our CCM balloon tire bikes with coaster brakes are just out of view, ditto for the family dog who belongs to our bike gang too...

Last edited:
Everything is possible, just need to spend some time and figure it out.

My intention is to see both worlds in one glance. I like the idea that I can bring these photos to life, and maybe remind people that the history of a space is amazing if we take the time to learn.
Hello Sal,

I appreciated your work. Creatively different and will easily stand with some of the work done here and elsewhere by our Goldie, Alden Cudanin and the already mentioned Harry Enchin. Cheers!

wwwebster passed away a couple of years ago but when he posted here this was a big resource for him:

http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/cab/index.htm

Just another internet rabbit hole for you UT-ers to disappear into.

A few years back in this thread there was a whole series of Rosedale houses Then and Now's. wwwebster would send me the scans with the addresses and I would go out and take the Now pic.

Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens, looking northwest towards Yonge St., 1957 TPL
View attachment 180175

View attachment 180176

The apartment house in the left distance in the Then picture is still there. Chatsworth Apartments. I'm guessing it dates to the 1930s. No air-conditioning except for window units. The inside courtyard is quite beautiful.

And I had my wedding pictures taken in this park. This year is our 40th.

Thanks Goldie.

Back