News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The apartment house in the left distance in the Then picture is still there. Chatsworth Apartments. I'm guessing it dates to the 1930s. No air-conditioning except for window units. The inside courtyard is quite beautiful.

And I had my wedding pictures taken in this park. This year is our 40th.

Thanks Goldie.
One of our popular hangout spots as teens. Congrats on 40.

I remember that once upon a time, the Mt Pleasant Bridge across the Blythwood Ravine had some kind of YMCA (?) insignia underneath for some reason--any reason for that?

That was a direct hit on the memory banks. OMG...It's not just that specific corner, it's the vista from the era. That's ten thousand corners from that time... And our CCM balloon tire bikes with coaster brakes are just out of view, ditto for the family dog who belongs to our bike gang too...

I as well. We moved from the Vic.Park/Gerrard area to the wilds of Finch & Bathurst in '55 and would regularly visit relatives at Vic. Pk. and Ellesmere by going across Finch, jogging at each N-S road. Later, I worked at the Shell station that was just off to the right of the newer photo.

^ I've got to be clear, I was never at that corner, just that the vista has presented itself as representing...it's *captured* a phase of my life that year that I can now put into words, finally, as I'm just glancing at it again:

"I want to go home!"

But of course, it's a memory, an indelible imprint on the psyche that can never be realized again. And that pic is magnificent in capturing it, because as you state, it has captured others' wishes and memories too, in real fact in your case.

I was relating to Toronto Road in Port Hope, in 1957, and the actual view being along Marsh Road, but it's an image that was at many intersections of Youth and Freedom...

I've just saved that pic to my computer files. Even though far in the past, one still gets glimpses of that spectre when cycling the back roads. There's a number up around Goodwood, one of my routes of escape that keeps me sane.

Many thanks for posting that @Goldie.

High Park Mineral Baths, Bloor St. W., east of Parkview Gardens 1911 TPL
I suspect this view is shows us the rear of 2000 Bloor St.
High Park Mineral Baths, Bloor St. W., east of Parkview Gardens 1911   TPL.jpg

2000 Bloor St. W.jpg

Google street view

Waterworks, Roselawn Tank, Roselawn Ave., north side, west of Avenue Rd. TPL

1967........TPL
Waterworks, Roselawn Tank, Roselawn Ave., north side, west of Avenue Rd. 1967   TPL.jpg

Built in 1930 CTA
Roselawn water tank built-1930   CTA.jpg

Prior to the 1930 tower there was a standpipe. The base of the standpipe and the 1930 tower look similar, I wonder if they just added the upper storage section and lattice support?

Looking Southeast. TPL

Prior to the 1930 tower there was a standpipe. The base of the standpipe and the 1930 tower look similar, I wonder if they just added the upper storage section and lattice support?
Or was this initially built as one project with the 'pipe' just being phase 1 and as soon as it was built they added the upper section and its support?

Yeah: that's the house which they tried to lift off its foundation in order to be preserved in new development, but structural failure led them having to demolish instead...

Looking Southeast. TPL
View attachment 180632
Great photo, because in the centre is the Eglinton Hunt Club and at the top is Pears Brickworks, later Pears Park now Eglinton Park.

Last edited:

Back