News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

And my husband (an Englishman) insists that ST CLAIR is SINCLAIR--to which I answer that we didn't name major streets after news readers!

In fact, there was an "e", on the end of it. (St Claire)

Also,

Gordon Sinclair was a ME! ME! ME! type; personal experience.

(Sorry Gordo! To the Victor goes the spoils! LOL.)

Regards,
J T

January 4 addition.

Then.

Hahaha. Ha.

Where is this?

s0372_ss0003_it0376-1.jpg

Now.

CSC_0939.jpg

January 4 addition.

Then.
s0372_ss0003_it0376-1.jpg

That cute house next to the drug store is at 405 Woodbine Ave.
I've been holding this photo for a couple of months with the intention of visiting the site
but you beat me to it. Good work!

Attachments

• Woodbine No. 405 1921.jpg
    Woodbine No. 405 1921.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
We've often looked at comparisons on this thread of old buildings replaced by new buildings. We've seen buildings vanish as streets get widened or linked (Bay/Terauley, Davenport, Dundas). We've seen blocks vanish for new roads (Bay/Terauley, University, Mt. Pleasant). Some of these "ghost" buildings (such as the Princess Theatre which would be in the middle of the King/University intersection) can even be imagined on foggy nights.

One such ghost building wasThe Golden Lion at 33-37 King Street East, which vanished in 1901 when Victoria Street was extended southerly to Colborne (at the time of the construction of the King Edward Hotel). Once one of the premier early department stores in Victorian Toronto, its passing also symbolized the transition of King Street from its Georgian/Victorian scale to the new world of Edwardian "heft" and early skyscrapers (required reading: Patterns of the Past Dundurn Press 1988, chapter titled: "Streetscape and Society: The Changing Built Environment of King Street Toronto" by Gunther Gad and Deryk W. Holdsworth).

1857; The Golden Lion at left before alterations:
kingeast1857.jpg

1880:

Middle left:
king1880.jpg

rwalker.jpg

On the right:

kingeast1890.jpg

From Landmarks of Toronto

landmarkstoronto05robeuoft_0007.jpg

landmarkstoronto05robeuoft_0036.jpg

landmarkstoronto05robeuoft_0037.jpg

1890:
kingyonge1890-1.jpg

1910:
kingyonge1910-1.jpg

1907 The Golden Lion gone;
King_Street_1907.jpg

A_view_of_King_Street_looking_west_from_Toronto_Street.jpg

mystery building

I may be missing something painfully obvious, but what's that tall building off in the distance on the horizon (looks like it's south of Front St.)?

s0372_ss0058_it1764.jpg

When I saw the tower above the building, I thought it may be the old Terminal Warehouse (see thumbnail)
But now I'm not so sure.

Attachments

• Queens_Quay_Terminal.jpg
    Queens_Quay_Terminal.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 369
came across this cheesy video from the 80's on youtube and thought this might be a decent place to share it...

[video=youtube;qqOB9U1NBwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqOB9U1NBwc[/video]

came across this cheesy video from the 80's on youtube and thought this might be a decent place to share it...

[video=youtube;qqOB9U1NBwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqOB9U1NBwc[/video]

Redroom,

I haven't heard that old song since the 80s. Thank you.

thecharioteer,

From the goods advertised in 1850s Toronto it seems that there was quite the moneyed leisure or at least a substantial moneyed mercantile class.

Optician Potter's "optical, philosophical and mathematical" instruments can only have been directed towards a market of those wanting to express their appreciation for the Sciences to friends by having an orrery or telescope in the parlour.

Could somebody rush to assist us re: Spoonman's question please. C'mon, people... :) I'm stumped myself. Has that building been demolished?

January 5 addition.

Then.

Inspired by Redroom Studios, here is my video of the Sam The Record Man sign in operation. It only lasts a few seconds.

Then. July 26, 1921. SE corner Woodbine and Heyworth."

s0372_ss0003_it0320.jpg

Now. December 2010.

Among others, the house that presents itself diagonally to the street is still there. They torn down the school at the end of the street.

CSC_0938.jpg

Woodbridge - Then and Now

Inkerman Hotel, Woodbridge Ave - late 1800s
history_inkerman_hotel_549.jpg

Today
4444t.jpg

The G. Gilmour Commercial Hotel, Woodbridge Ave - 1878
history_gilmour_hotel_530.jpg

Today
5555yg.jpg

Woodbridge Ave and Kipling Ave - 1850
Old_woodbridge_circa_1850.jpg

Today
2222pdv.jpg

Kipling, just south of Woodbridge Ave - 1875
Woodbridge_wagon_old_bob.jpg

Today
1111ci.jpg

Hwy 7 & Kipling Ave looking east towards Islington Ave - 1929
hwy7-33_lg.jpg

Today
3333pq.jpg

Did I ID this right?

Sweet smell of success!

In the BlogTO post on Toronto of the 1890s, I think I have ID'd a photo of Queen East.

1891:
20110103-1891-Twelve_horse_team_pulling_snow_sweeper.jpg

Today (287-301 Queen St E):
Google Map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...=l1aVUj9KBDTV_3Tpi5dYRA&cbp=12,200.06,,0,2.94

Can't take a photo because I'm not even in Canada anymore. The 2-storey rowhouses are gone, but the 3-storey commercial units remain. Note the gables, mansard, and pattern of 4+1 small/large top floor windows on the rightmost row. While Ontario Paint & Wallpaper continues strong the other retail in these buildings seems to turn over constantly with truly awful shops. Further east, near Queen & Sherbourne, there is more life (the new flower shop EcoStems is a winner, as is well-done vintage shop Upside Dive).

Last edited:
January 5 addition.

Then. July 26, 1921. SE corner Woodbine and Heyworth."

s0372_ss0003_it0320.jpg

Now. December 2010.

Among others, the house that presents itself diagonally to the street is still there. They torn down the school at the end of the street.

CSC_0938.jpg

I did a street view of that area, the school wasn't torn down, it was 'replaced'.

Back