News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Mosaic condos

Today, 04.03.2007

hpim1578kg1.jpg

hpim1577xv7.jpg

hpim1576df1.jpg

hpim1575in5.jpg

The pillars look tacky, especially in person. They just seem really low quality.

That said, I get a bit down everytime I walk past there...I really wanted to buy in that building! I thought it had just about the perfect location, for me anyways.

Re: mosaic

mosaic is providing high-density infill on an appropriate site and giving some continuity between the twin bulks of the jcc and that concrete monolith to the south, but the detailing is looking to be absolutely painful... the kind of watered-down pomo ornamentation you'd expect 20 years ago.

yet another case study in how getting the broad strokes right is not enough to make good architecture.

Not fantastic but a considerable step up over the surrounding buildings. I know the JCC tried but frankly it's hideous.

Thanks for all the photos raptor. And welcome to the forum.

Would love to have lived here...

Some project details:
20s, 217 units
Paul Northgrave Architects
Was about $340psf back in 2005 when launched

Most of the suites are larger, there aren't many 1bdrms in the project. Targets end users vs investors.

There will be a couple more setbacks in the tower prior to topping off - which should be soon, this tower has gone up fairly quickly. I'm hoping for retail in the base.

the kind of watered-down pomo ornamentation you'd expect 20 years ago.
The ornamentation is just hideous. I took a picture of some of it, but haven't had a chance to upload it yet. I will and soon and you'll all agree. Every one of you!

I don't find it "overbearing". There is at least one large building just to the south of it which deserves to have something "overbear" it (720 Spadina? -- 60s highrise apt. with some office space on the first couple of levels).

The size is quite appropriate for the location.

I'm not quite sure what Darkstar means by "ornamentation". I do think some red brick on the lower levels would have been nicer looking, especially given all of the old red brick mansions in the nearby Annex area.

Back