News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Cabbagetown and other densely laid out parts of town should be offered the yet to the announced "small" recycling bin. I imagine those who don't have the space will trade their "medium" sized bins in for the smallest ones once they're available.

If they had recycling pick-up every week instead of every fortnight, many would not need the big recycling bin.

I agree completely. I can't believe that they are rolling out the program downtown with the small bins still unavailable.

I also agree with your comment on weekly recycling pick-up.

Maybe giant blue bins'll be something to flaunt, kinda like giant pepper grinders

fijivanuatu1-001-large.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the local bottle pickers in the city cope with these new bins. They'll have to dig through a lot of paper, plastic sheeting, dog food tins, etc. to find a wine bottle at the bottom of a 5" tall bin. Now, if they'd just integrate the green bin contents into the new blue bin, for sorting later on, then we'll be right back to where we started, since we'll be putting almost all waste into one bin.

Some of the more aggressive bin-divers may resort to redistributing the waste across lawns and sidewalks while in search of goodies in the deep bin strata.

Some of the more aggressive bin-divers may resort to redistributing the waste across lawns and sidewalks while in search of goodies in the deep bin strata.
Knowing this city, instead of going after the bin-divers, they likely propose a fine against homeowners who leave such goodies in their bins.

My brother has given his wine bottles to the local bin-diver. This particular guy is very orderly during his goody search; he leaves no mess behind. I have to wonder if the arrival of mega-blue bins may test this civic-minded attitude, though.

My brother has given his wine bottles to the local bin-diver. This particular guy is very orderly during his goody search; he leaves no mess behind. I have to wonder if the arrival of mega-blue bins may test this civic-minded attitude, though.
My neighbour smashes his bottles before putting them in the bin, as he's tired of the bin divers. Not nice to the collection fellows, but since it's all going to be mixed and automated now, and since the vast majority of bottles and glass will end up smashed in the trucks before they get to processing and separation, I suppose it doesn't matter if the homeowner does the smashing in advance.

My neighbour smashes his bottles before putting them in the bin, as he's tired of the bin divers. Not nice to the collection fellows, but since it's all going to be mixed and automated now, and since the vast majority of bottles and glass will end up smashed in the trucks before they get to processing and separation, I suppose it doesn't matter if the homeowner does the smashing in advance.

That's a little peevish--and hazardous, too, in case of loose or spilled shards...

And I hate to say it, but on occasion I'm a bin diver, too--though more in quest of newspaper sections I accidentally discarded...

My neighbour smashes his bottles before putting them in the bin, as he's tired of the bin divers.

I can't imagine what difference that would make. No doubt a bin-diver would go through things anyway just to find broken glass. I have no issue with someone going through bins to find wine or beer bottles that others have neglected to bring back for a refund - so long as they don't make a big mess doing so.

Scavenging for valuable goods among the refuse is as old as cities.

Yeah, smashing glass to ward off bin divers. Might as well use cartoon solutions and hide a few mousetraps in there too

Thank goodness I don't live next door to a moron, like Beez.

( note the comma ).
Thanks for the comma....good punctuation is always appreciated :D

I think he's just tired of being woken up by the bin divers, and figured if he stopped leaving things for them to find, they'd go away. Of course, he could just return the bottles to the store, but that's another story.

I noticed one nifty repurposing of soon-to-be-obsolete blue bins yesterday: they make great moulds for making snow fortresses

I noticed one nifty repurposing of soon-to-be-obsolete blue bins yesterday: they make great moulds for making snow fortresses
Ah, I saw the same on Sunday. Quite spectacular they are for it, with the wet snow! If we all showed up in a park with our old blue boxes, we could build quite the structure!

Back