News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They are Blue, huge and flimsy with a top section (not a lid) that doesn't close let alone latch.
Sounds a bit disappointing - though I'll wait to see mine, before I pass judgement.

Though I don't see how critters will be a problem. It's no easier to get in that the current boxes - and I while I have plenty of raccoon problems (I swear, the more I chase and throw things at those things, the harder they try), I don't think they've ever touched all the stuff precariously balanced on the overflowing blue boxes on my porch. Why would they?

Critters and boxes

------------------------------------------
Though I don't see how critters will be a problem. It's no easier to get in that the current boxes - and I while I have plenty of raccoon problems (I swear, the more I chase and throw things at those things, the harder they try), I don't think they've ever touched all the stuff precariously balanced on the overflowing blue boxes on my porch. Why would they?
-------------------------------------------
The point of my negative review of the new recycle box is that I understand the new Garbage bins will be identical lid-wise because the City collectors don't want to deal with locked lids on collection day. They don't want the guy to have to get out of the truck to unlatch every bin - kind of slows him down.

Advantage critters.

The point of my negative review of the new recycle box is that I understand the new Garbage bins will be identical lid-wise ...
Why would the critters have much interest in the garbage bins? I really don't have any problems with my current one - it's the green bin that I have to pin between other objects, so that the 'coons don't fling it everywhere, trying to pop the latch. They never show much interest in the garbage can - what would interest them in it?

Why not just put up some big signs reading "NO 'COONS ALLOWED".

Er...on second thought...

Suspicions confirmed

Today was pickup day in my neighbourhood for Recycling bins and my suspicions were confirmed with regard to efficiency/savings to be realized with Mr. Millers new system.

This was the first day for the new bins, about half the people still put out the old boxes, the collectors picked up both with almost the same old equipment. The only difference on the usual rear load compactor truck was a small mechanical lift that picked up the big bins and dumped them in the back of the truck. There was still one man driving and one man on the ground, which will continue as long as the little green goopy bin must be picked up weekly.

On a typical suburban street with no parked cars and a driveway in which to locate the bins the time consumed to pick up the new bin was 3 to 4 times as long as it took to dump the old 2 small bins manually into the truck. Mechanically hoisting the bins up to the top of the new vehicles and back down will probably take even longer.

Next recycling day I will dust off my stopwatch and provide some better numbers.

Ok, I'm in South Etobicoke and just got my Blue Bin order form. How does the cost work? If I choose an XL size (I own a triplex), will I have to pay extra?

The City is providing the new Blue Bins to residents free of charge. They will remain the property of the City of Toronto and are given to you for your use. There is no cost for recycling collection or green bin organics and yard waste collection.

For both the Blue Bin and Garbage Bin, residents should choose their bin carefully because it’s likely a fee will be applied for change in bin size.

So from what I understand, extra fees will only be applied to the new garbage collection system...

Blue Bins...it's all about money and screwing the environment

I just received my new blue bin today. I have spent months trying to understand why the city of Toronto believes this plan will result in waste diversion and not simply create a landfill stuffed with 5 million plus old garbage and recycling bins.

Most people who have received the new bins have already noted they are flimsy and of very poor quality. The lids can't be latched and I can't speak for other neighbouthoods, but the racoons in mine are quite happy to riffle throught the recycling in hopes of finding even a lick of food on the inside of a pizza or frozen food box.

In US cities and Vancouver, where the new bins (recycling and blue) have already been studied, the volume of garbage under the plan actually increased. Yes, people produced more garbage. It has been hypothesized that people match their garbage consumption to the size of the bin. So the person who was producing on average a bag of garbage weekly, but paid the levy not to have to store garbage over the holidays, after birthdays, or just after the summer BBQ they decided to host...actually begins increasing their weekly garbage to match the size of the bin.

Cities with the plan also realized that mechanical pick-up means that what's in the bin isn't inspected. Meaning people were quite happy to get the smallest garbage bin and place their garbage in the largest blue bin. This resulted in massive increases in spending to sort garbage and in fact take waste that had been incorrectly diverted to the recycling plant to the landfill. This results in more trucks making extra trips and spewing more toxins into the air.

Unlike other cities, Toronto has simply said try to re-use your old containers. In BC and the US extensive community events were organized to help citizens convert their old garbage cans in rain barrels etc, in an effort to reduce water concumption. Not in the "Green" city of Toronto, they are suggesting you use the cans for yard waste. I like most other environmentally conscious residents have reuseable bins for yardwaste, I hardly need another one. Moreover the city doesn't want you to create a rain barrel as they are in the business of selling them.

The harsh reality is that the current platic blue bins and garbage cans people have will make their way into landfills, unless of course the city will be proactive and collect up the old bins to be recycled or reused. This means more waste. All of which doesn't even take into account the energy used or cost of shipping etc all of the new bins to replace those we already have.

Many city insiders acknowledge all of this, despite the slick marketing to the contrary. Which is when they acknowledge this is all about fewer Waste Management employees being on leave for injuries sustained on the job lifting and hauling bags. With the new trucks (fiscal and environmental costs aside) everything will be mechanical operated by the worker from the airconditioned comfort of this truck's cab.

I'm waiting for the challenge which will be forthcoming from those with disabilities over the denial of their acess to curbside waste pick-up. I have no doubt the city will lose and it will cost us millions in the long run.

I can't wait till the next election. In the sort term, I'm keen to have Toronto names the Rubermaid Capital of the World....we buy more plastic per capita than anyone else. Ever wonder what happened to our old city garbage cans which were replaced with the new plastic "street furniture"? Just ask Mayor Miller if he knows where they are now.

I just received my new blue bin today. I have spent months trying to understand why the city of Toronto believes this plan will result in waste diversion and not simply create a landfill stuffed with 5 million plus old garbage and recycling bins.

Most people who have received the new bins have already noted they are flimsy and of very poor quality. The lids can't be latched and I can't speak for other neighbouthoods, but the racoons in mine are quite happy to riffle throught the recycling in hopes of finding even a lick of food on the inside of a pizza or frozen food box.

In US cities and Vancouver, where the new bins (recycling and blue) have already been studied, the volume of garbage under the plan actually increased. Yes, people produced more garbage. It has been hypothesized that people match their garbage consumption to the size of the bin. So the person who was producing on average a bag of garbage weekly, but paid the levy not to have to store garbage over the holidays, after birthdays, or just after the summer BBQ they decided to host...actually begins increasing their weekly garbage to match the size of the bin.

Cities with the plan also realized that mechanical pick-up means that what's in the bin isn't inspected. Meaning people were quite happy to get the smallest garbage bin and place their garbage in the largest blue bin. This resulted in massive increases in spending to sort garbage and in fact take waste that had been incorrectly diverted to the recycling plant to the landfill. This results in more trucks making extra trips and spewing more toxins into the air.

Unlike other cities, Toronto has simply said try to re-use your old containers. In BC and the US extensive community events were organized to help citizens convert their old garbage cans in rain barrels etc, in an effort to reduce water concumption. Not in the "Green" city of Toronto, they are suggesting you use the cans for yard waste. I like most other environmentally conscious residents have reuseable bins for yardwaste, I hardly need another one. Moreover the city doesn't want you to create a rain barrel as they are in the business of selling them.

The harsh reality is that the current platic blue bins and garbage cans people have will make their way into landfills, unless of course the city will be proactive and collect up the old bins to be recycled or reused. This means more waste. All of which doesn't even take into account the energy used or cost of shipping etc all of the new bins to replace those we already have.

Many city insiders acknowledge all of this, despite the slick marketing to the contrary. Which is when they acknowledge this is all about fewer Waste Management employees being on leave for injuries sustained on the job lifting and hauling bags. With the new trucks (fiscal and environmental costs aside) everything will be mechanical operated by the worker from the airconditioned comfort of this truck's cab.

I'm waiting for the challenge which will be forthcoming from those with disabilities over the denial of their acess to curbside waste pick-up. I have no doubt the city will lose and it will cost us millions in the long run.

I can't wait till the next election. In the sort term, I'm keen to have Toronto names the Rubermaid Capital of the World....we buy more plastic per capita than anyone else. Ever wonder what happened to our old city garbage cans which were replaced with the new plastic "street furniture"? Just ask Mayor Miller if he knows where they are now.

Do you have sources for any and all of that? I would be interested in reading them.

Unlike other cities, Toronto has simply said try to re-use your old containers. In BC and the US extensive community events were organized to help citizens convert their old garbage cans in rain barrels etc, in an effort to reduce water concumption. Not in the "Green" city of Toronto, they are suggesting you use the cans for yard waste. I like most other environmentally conscious residents have reuseable bins for yardwaste, I hardly need another one.
Are there any Ontario jurisdictions using blue boxes at present? Perhaps Toronto could pass them on and for the price of some labels the townships could get free recycling boxes.

We just received our notice about the new bins for our area (Dufferin and Rogers), and apparently the large is the default size.

It appears that the front of my house will now be permanently decorated with bins. Any size bin on offer is too large to fit between the houses here, as I've about 18" between my neighbour and myself. I refuse to haul the thing through th house, if it would fit.

This City's aesthetics are about to take a turn for the worse.
In Cabbagetown they're letting homeowners keep using clear bags instead of the bin, based on approval of each homeowner's circumstances.

Back