News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Waiting for the rest of the story

Am I the only one who noticed that most of the current fleet of trucks can't pick up a bin? what is the new fleet going to cost, no mention made that I have seen.

The person picking up my recycling or garbage slings it onto the truck in about 10 seconds or less, I can't imagine a hoist equipped truck performing the same operation in less than twice that time. The city will either have to hire twice the staff they have now or institute a 12 day week in order to keep up.

The city loves to tell us about all the other cities in North America that handle collection this way. What they failed to mention is that these other cities don't have snow and they pick up the garbage every week not every two weeks. Look it up, it's on the 'net.

That's an interesting question. Apparently a lot of this is so they don't have to lift the blueboxs. But the new extra-large container I'm getting is 360 L instead of the current 60 L box. Presumably it will weigh 6 times as much. When I park it on the city's sidewalk, there is (or was 2 days ago), a 4-ft high snowbank between the sidewalk and the road - or often a row of parked cars. So what do they do, wheel it 40-metres down the road to where there is a gap in the sidewalk?

Should be interesting. Though personally I welcome the new bins.

Currently I have 2 normal size 60 L containers, and 2 of the less common 80 L ones - 280 L total. With the medium containers being 120 L; the large ones being 240 L, my only choice is the extra-large at 360 L. I'll be quite glad to have only one bin sitting on my porch - particularily as it will be covered, rather than looking like I live in a dump by the time the fortnightly pick-up comes around! But I have only 3 steps ... and a big porch where the bin will fit nicely (and take up far less space than the 4 boxes).

Trash plan is just a pile of rubbish
Feb 13, 2008 04:30 AM
TORONTO STAR
Royson James

Michael Orr's is a voice crying in the wilderness – seeking "fairness" from a city hall that lost touch with that ethic the moment the administration decided it was going to pick people's pockets instead of tax them in traditional ways.

Orr, a father of seven children, aged 18 months to 15 years, has been bombarding the mayor with emails asking, for instance: How is it fair to limit his family members to a garbage output of half a bag of garbage each every two weeks?

And, why is the city hitting him up twice for waste management while offering him 75 per cent of the service?

We'll explain later. But the best he's received by way of an answer is that the planning team will review his concerns.

The team will do no such thing. Money grab, not fairness, is what drives the new "pay even if you don't throw plan" for garbage. For example, last June, they said the plan would net about $54 million extra. Now, they've increased the take to $74 million and rising. Soon, garbage fees will be covering any municipal budgets costs a mayor wants to hide.

Until now, Torontonians paid for garbage out of their property taxes. About 90 per cent of households use the blue box and green bin.

When the city started drafting an aggressive waste-reduction plan to achieve 70 per cent waste diversion, some thought a pay-by-the-bag system would encourage reduction. Jane Pitfield – remember her? – proposed this idea. David Miller, running against her in the last election, opposed it. Miller won and so the flexible, simple, workable, tried-and-true bag tag system was doomed.

Enter the dandy, dastardly alternative. Let's make more than a million bins and force all ratepayers to use them. We can sell the bins at exorbitant amounts, increase the charges annually and use the gold mine to fund all kinds of initiatives in the name of Going Green.

Besides, we can socially engineer the plan to hit disproportionately those we want to hurt and shield those we want to spare. Once in place, the manoeuvrings would be detectable only to the most ardent.

So, last summer, the plan was hatched and sold as the most environmentally friendly proposal of all time. Few bothered to check how people would haul these monster bins to their basements or up to the third floor of a triplex or navigate narrow side yards or store them on front porches.

Cut your waste and you will be fine, we were told. You can avoid waste charges by recycling.

So, let's look at Orr's case.

Using the city's figures and calculations, he now pays about $600 of his property taxes toward waste management. So, you'd think if we are going to a pay-as-you-throw system he'd get that money rebated. That would be fair.

Instead, the city proposes to give all households a $209 rebate, the amount the average ratepayer now contributes. If you're paying $120 toward waste management now, you get a windfall from the pockets of people like Orr. Meanwhile, Orr is out almost $400. But who's counting? Not the social engineers at city hall.

It gets worse.

Orr's large family needs the largest bin, capacity 4.5 bags, every two weeks. That'll cost him $399.

In all he's contributing $1,000, getting a rebate of $200. And his family is down to half a bag each every two weeks. He's paying more, even as he's recycling more and cutting his trash output by 25 per cent. "They're hitting me both ways and charging me two times." And Orr's not alone.

Royson James usually appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
rjames@thestar.ca

We just received our notice about the new bins for our area (Dufferin and Rogers), and apparently the large is the default size.

It appears that the front of my house will now be permanently decorated with bins. Any size bin on offer is too large to fit between the houses here, as I've about 18" between my neighbour and myself. I refuse to haul the thing through th house, if it would fit.

This City's aesthetics are about to take a turn for the worse.

This City's aesthetics are about to take a turn for the worse.
I'm just not getting this. How is one large covered bin, going to take up more space, and look worse, than the 4 bins it's replacing? I think this is great - no longer will my porch look like a waste transfer station.

What you're not getting

Nfitz,
You are being inflicted with 3 bins, not one. The little green "sloppy stuff" bin plus separate bins for garbage and recycling. Quite the attractive display for your front yard.

I'm just not getting this. How is one large covered bin, going to take up more space, and look worse, than the 4 bins it's replacing? I think this is great - no longer will my porch look like a waste transfer station.

It's quite simple: my bins are kept inside until they are full, with the exception of the green one which resides out of sight around the the back. With these larger ones, and the new garbage bins, some of us in the older parts of the city are going to have to keep them out front. Which means the streetscape will feature rows of brightly coloured blue, green, and gray bins.

It is admittedly a matter of personal taste, but I think it would be an uphill fight to prove that the wholesale addition of plastic bins to the streetscape is an improvement.

Nfitz,
You are being inflicted with 3 bins, not one. The little green "sloppy stuff" bin plus separate bins for garbage and recycling. Quite the attractive display for your front yard.
Which is an infinite improvement on what's there now. There's currently 6 bins on my porch. 4 uncovered ones full of paper trays, cans, and newspapers; the small green bin; and a garbage can. No one is coming out of this deal with more bins than they used to. The three bins can sit on the porch, taking up much less space than the 6 bins currently make - and cardboard boxes won't be blown across the street when a windstorm comes through.

Not sure why having everyone's bins in view on a narrow street is a problem. The bins are covered, and everyone will have them. Seems a lot more practical than all these dead trees the city sticks in the sidewalk every few metres to hold up those ugly black wires ...

Was there this much whining when the first blue box was introduced?

I know it's not a very convincing argument for homeowners, but there is something attractive in plastic recycling bins, most likely because they're socially just.

What we really need is something like the German Gruene Punkt system, which in the early 90s, led customers to tear off the extra packaging at the grocery checkout line to avoid paying the high trash fees at home. Burdened with extra useless garbage, grocery stores successfully pushed for a huge reduction in surplus packaging.

The reason behind these massive bins is that we cannot stem the tide of overpackaging. Why does a coconut have to be wrapped in cellophane to be read by the scanner when a sticker will do? Why is LAN cabling packaged in bubble wrap? Why would you ship anything in a box full of styrofoam peanuts?

I can appreciate thtat the new bins create a reduction in overall numbers of bins used, and certainly in your case they will improve your situation.

That this plan does not work for some, and exploring the reasons why, is not whining. Aesthetics are a legitimate concern, nevermind the severe functional deficiencies already looked at in this thread, and these concerns are something the City should have examined in greater detail before imposing this system.

The reason behind these massive bins is that we cannot stem the tide of overpackaging. Why does a coconut have to be wrapped in cellophane to be read by the scanner when a sticker will do? Why is LAN cabling packaged in bubble wrap? Why would you ship anything in a box full of styrofoam peanuts?

Now that is sensible.

A possible angle on that might be to illustrate how much we pay for all of this overpackaging. I'm sure it is only pennies per item, but add it up over everything you buy and it might be surprising how much it costs us. I'm sure most people could get behind a platform that proposes to reduce garbage/recycling, and could save you money.

My friend, who sells ceramics on eBay, is delighted to reuse styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap. They're constantly being recycled by antique dealers, and go round and round the globe many times as protective wrapping. They're worth their weight in gold to such people - and to the collectors who receive their purchases unbroken.

Got my new blue bin yesterday

They are kidding, right?

My street received their monstrosities yesterday. They are Blue, huge and flimsy with a top section (not a lid) that doesn't close let alone latch.

The critters hereabouts will be in and out of this thing all night long even if they eventually figure out that there is no food in it tonight they will try it again tomorrow night I am sure. I hope I can train them to at least not leave the top up allowing the bin to fill with rain or worse, snow.

The wheels are such a joke we have initiated a pool on how long it will take before someone's wheels fall off, literally.

^Although, to be fair, the raccoons and such shouldn't be rooting around your garbage and recycling bins because all that edible stuff should be disposed of in the green bin, anyway.

Back